Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 117 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 116 117
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you kidding? Google a dictionary.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

That's not an honest reading of Descartes.

I think, therefore I am.

I am thinking, therefore I do exist.

But there's nothing is this syllogism that makes my ability to perceive sensory input "universal". We still run into the problems of a "the brain in the box", or the more modern version "simulated brain", and the problems of hard solipsism.

Of course, if you are taking the position of the hard solipsist you've eliminated any concept of "universal" since a completely isolated brain is be part of something "universal".

As for your position on killing, which you switched to murder, and how it doesn't apply to your god, already demonstrates you have a personal Relative Morality as it applies to killing.

But if you don't start with "I exist as something capable of thought" how can you claim that you think? Suppose you don't exist, how can you assert "I think." Is nothing capable of thinking? That's silly but by eliminating that possibility you're left with only the alternative of existence from the beginning. You must exist to make the assertion "I think."

BTW, "murder" is unprivileged killing which is generally accepted as the meaning of "killing of an innocent." A slight refinement of terms.

Lets rephrase this a bit, from Decartes:

"we cannot doubt of our existence while we doubt."
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

As for your position on the Geico lizard, please demonstrate he's capable of forming a cogent thought.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Are you kidding? Google a dictionary.

I'm not kidding.

We've already established that according to Christianity everyone is tainted with original sin, so no one is innocent, and therefore by your definition there is no murder.

Muslims have long considered themselves "privileged" to rape and kill non-Muslims. Do you disagree with this? How about the privilege of fathers to kill their kids, and the privilege of husbands to kill their wives?
Do you disagree with any of these?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SMalloy805
Shortly it will be pointed out thatthis is the Marxist position because SJG'S father was a by the book marxist..

Actually, evolution is the biotic capitalism at its finest. Almost exactly the same math.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
"Gould is famous for "punctuated equilibrium"---the theory that tries to reconcile Neo-Darwinism with the decidedly anti-Darwinian fossil record. "Punk-eek" doesn't work either, but its hilariously funny watching the intellectual contortions neo-Darwinian fundamentalists have to go through to try to reconcile their theory with the disconfirming evidence." - Tarquin

Ridiculous. Punctuated equilibrium merely asserts that there are periods of high pressure for rapid change within certain species, such as relatively sudden changes in the environment. "Rapid change" must be understood in terms of geological time scales, i.e., still very long periods of time.

In other words, it asserts that most major changes occur within a geologically short time scale, and that in between those periods are long periods of a relative absence of change (slow or no change).

An example would be the sudden gigantism among many species of birds (along with the loss of the ability to fly) that occurred after the K-T Extinction Event. This occurred because of the sudden disappearance of all of the earth's mega fauna, i.e., all dinosaurs other than birds. This left a vacuum in terms of niches to be filled, so birds grew larger to fill them, and lost their flight because they adopted the roles of land mega fauna, which didn't require flight. This change in birds happened relatively quickly.

[Linked Image]

No, its not ridiculous. Gould called the incongruity between the fossil record and Neo-Darwinism "the trade secret of paleontology". You think Gould trotted out the theory because he wanted to? LOL. laugh The discordance between the fossil record and Neo-Darwinism practically demanded some sort of explanation. But there is no evidentiary support for punk-eek either. The situation is really quite embarrassing for paleontologists.

Tarquin
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You're just regurgitating what you read on The Institution For Creation Research website. You've been duped.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fossil record speaks for itself....3 billion years of microbial life before the emergence of multicellular organisms and an 'explosion' in evolution, five major extinction events and here we are.

This does not paint a picture of special creation or guided evolution.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You're just regurgitating what you read on The Institution For Creation Research website. You've been duped.

And once again you fail to respond on the merits---invoking fallacies rather than real arguments. I accept your concession. grin

Tarquin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
The fossil record speaks for itself....3 billion years of microbial life before the emergence of multicellular organisms and an 'explosion' in evolution, five major extinction events and here we are.

98%+ of all species to ever inhabit the earth are extinct.

Doesn't really speak to much of a "plan".

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Probably closer to 99%

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by DBT

Bah!

Thats called progress!

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by DBT

Bah!

Thats called progress!

.....mysterious ways.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Tarquin

And once again you fail to respond on the merits---invoking fallacies rather than real arguments. I accept your concession. grin

If there were any merits, I'd respond to them.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Tarquin

If there were any merits, I'd respond to them.

I googled Gould and Fossil record. Here's the title of the first article to come up:

The Quote Mine Project
Or, Lies, Damned Lies and Quote Mines
Gould, Eldredge and Punctuated Equilibria Quotes

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
LOL

I have been reading about antisemitism.... I'm figuring it must be something taught in churches.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 07/28/19. Reason: edits, duhhh

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
A.S. You seem to have done a lot of thinking on this issue and I am interested to know your thoughts. In a nutshell How did all this huge universe with an unfathomable amount of solid material come to be? I understand there is a big bang theory, but doesn't that require a compression of all this material into a critical mass that then explodes and creates an expanding universe of a huge,huge, unthinkable amount of material? A speck of which is earth that happened to be hospitable to the formation of chemical reactions that became life? Where did that material originate?
How's your math?........
I thank you for your effort but I'm a high school graduate only and almost 67 years old. I'm pretty good at arithmetic and real good at reading comprehension. This discussion and your answer are so far over my head I guess I'll do like my wife does about politics and just forget about it. But anyway thanks again and sorry for putting you to the trouble. Best thing for me to do is to go back to arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic that our country has become.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

As for your position on the Geico lizard, please demonstrate he's capable of forming a cogent thought.

It's a tenet of Western thought that we exist. cf Eastern philosophy. Yet it can't be proven. Wiping out Eastern philosophy in one fell swoop would be cool! However you phrase the proposition you must exist to be able to state the proposition. I don't know enough Descartes to know if he's restating that assumption in a backhanded way or meant something else.

I'm not sure that anyone at Geico can form a cogent thought. laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
A.S. You seem to have done a lot of thinking on this issue and I am interested to know your thoughts. In a nutshell How did all this huge universe with an unfathomable amount of solid material come to be? I understand there is a big bang theory, but doesn't that require a compression of all this material into a critical mass that then explodes and creates an expanding universe of a huge,huge, unthinkable amount of material? A speck of which is earth that happened to be hospitable to the formation of chemical reactions that became life? Where did that material originate?
How's your math?........
I thank you for your effort but I'm a high school graduate only and almost 67 years old. I'm pretty good at arithmetic and real good at reading comprehension. This discussion and your answer are so far over my head I guess I'll do like my wife does about politics and just forget about it. But anyway thanks again and sorry for putting you to the trouble. Best thing for me to do is to go back to arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic that our country has become.

Hastings,

Let me apologize for the complexity of my answer. Since you feel you are better with words than numbers, lets try to stick to mostly words and skip the numbers.

Imagine you need to build a house, but have a personal net worth of exactly zero (We begin with nothing). Now we're going to assume a special idealized world for this example, one where every dollar spent on building the house creates exactly one dollars worth of value in the finished product, so in the process, not value can be created, nor destroyed. (This represent the conservation of energy).

By building the house you create an asset (matter)

You can borrow exactly what you need from a bank, but this creates a liability (negative gravitational energy)

You build a new house worth 200k, and in the process take out a loan for exactly 200k.

At the end of the process, you have a new house (Matter in the Universe), but an equal amount of debt (negative gravitational energy), so your net worth remains exactly zero (Net energy level of the entire local presentation of our universe).

You have created an asset out of nothing. All of your friends marvel at your new wonderful house, but are unable to see or even comprehend the nature of your bank note, so they idolize you as the amazing man who created a house out of nothing.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

It's a tenet of Western thought that we exist. cf Eastern philosophy. Yet it can't be proven. Wiping out Eastern philosophy in one fell swoop would be cool! However you phrase the proposition you must exist to be able to state the proposition. I don't know enough Descartes to know if he's restating that assumption in a backhanded way or meant something else.

I'm not sure that anyone at Geico can form a cogent thought. laugh

How I understand it, Decartes saying your experience is the evidence. If you did not exist you could not experience sensory input. Even if we were, to use your example, hyper-advanced self aware AI models, we are still experiencing sensory input and reacting to it, so in some sense, we must exist. It could be argued that existence is not what we think it is (think maxtrix brain farm), but none the less, it is still an existence.

The only thing that we can know for certain is that we do exist, but that does not mean our perception of said existence are accurate or complete.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/28/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How's your math?........
Hastings, Let me apologize for the complexity of my answer. Since you feel you are better with words than numbers, lets try to stick to mostly words and skip the numbers. Imagine you need to build a house, but have a personal net worth of exactly zero (We begin with nothing). Now we're going to assume a special idealized world for this example, one where every dollar spent on building the house creates exactly one dollars worth of value in the finished product, so in the process, not value can be created, nor destroyed. (This represent the conservation of energy). By building the house you create an asset (matter)You can borrow exactly what you need from a bank, but this creates a liability (negative gravitational energy)You build a new house worth 200k, and in the process take out a loan for exactly 200k. At the end of the process, you have a new house (Matter in the Universe), but an equal amount of debt (negative gravitational energy), so your net worth remains exactly zero (Net energy level of the entire local presentation of our universe). You have created an asset out of nothing. All of your friends marvel at your new wonderful house, but are unable to see or even comprehend the nature of your bank note, so they idolize you as the amazing man who created a house out of nothing.
Ok, I'm going to study your answer tomorrow when I'm not drifting off. So thanks again for humoring me. Another Question, do you think our expanding universe runs out of energy and collapses back into a super compressed entity that explodes again in a big bang. Have these compression events and bangs been happening forever. I understand we are talking eons.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 26 of 117 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1badf350, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 51 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.