Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Lets rephrase this a bit, from Decartes:

"we cannot doubt of our existence while we doubt."
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

As for your position on the Geico lizard, please demonstrate he's capable of forming a cogent thought.

It's a tenet of Western thought that we exist. cf Eastern philosophy. Yet it can't be proven. Wiping out Eastern philosophy in one fell swoop would be cool! However you phrase the proposition you must exist to be able to state the proposition. I don't know enough Descartes to know if he's restating that assumption in a backhanded way or meant something else.

I'm not sure that anyone at Geico can form a cogent thought. laugh

How I understand it, Decartes saying your experience is the evidence. If you did not exist you could not experience sensory input. Even if we were, to use your example, hyper-advanced self aware AI models, we are still experiencing sensory input and reacting to it, so in some sense, we must exist. It could be argued that existence is not what we think it is (think maxtrix brain farm), but none the less, it is still an existence.

The only thing that we can know for certain is that we do exist, but that does not mean our perception of said existence are accurate or complete.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/28/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell