[/b]
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
"In 1961, astronomers acknowledged just two characteristics of the universe as "fine-tuned" to make physical life possible. The more obvious one was the ratio of the gravitational force constant to the electromagnetic force constant. It cannot differ from its value by any more than one part in 10 40 (one part in ten thousand trillion trillion trillion) without eliminating the possibility for life. Today, the number of known cosmic characteristics recognized as fine-tuned for life—any conceivable kind of physical life—stands at thirty-eight. Of these, the most sensitive is the space energy density (the self-stretching property of the universe). Its value cannot vary by more than one part in 10 120 and still allow for the kinds of stars and planets physical life requires."

[b]The mathematical probabilities of all these fine-tuned characteristics randomly coming into being at precisely the right time, and then being maintained, to support the spontaneous generation of life is statistically nil. In fact there is far more probability of the most ardent atheistic evolutionist being converted to the truth than for materialistic evolution to have brought this universe with life into existence.

The fine tuning argument for God is essentially the argument from incredulity;

“I can’t imagine how X can be true; therefore, X must be false.”

“I can’t imagine how X can be false; therefore, X must be true.”

Premise 1: I can’t explain or imagine how proposition X can be true.

Premise 2: if a certain proposition is true, then I must be able to explain or imagine how that can be.

Conclusions:
proposition X is false.