Originally Posted by Hastings
A.S. You seem to have done a lot of thinking on this issue and I am interested to know your thoughts. In a nutshell How did all this huge universe with an unfathomable amount of solid material come to be? I understand there is a big bang theory, but doesn't that require a compression of all this material into a critical mass that then explodes and creates an expanding universe of a huge,huge, unthinkable amount of material? A speck of which is earth that happened to be hospitable to the formation of chemical reactions that became life? Where did that material originate?

How's your math?

Let's start with what we do know. The process of Inflation occurred, initiated about 13.6 billion years ago. We have a very good sense of what happened back to the "planck time", a period about 1^-43 of a after the big bang when classical physics as we know them cease to be valid. Prior to that, WE DON'T KNOW what occurred. More over, IT'S OK TO NOT KNOW. What I don't consider acceptable is plugging in a God of the Gaps into our knowledge gaps. This only creates impediments to understand the real truth. Fortunately, Scientist continue investigating multiple hypothesis looking for a valid ways to drive the curtain around our knowledge back further.

As for what do I consider the leading, but experimentally unproven hypothesis regarding a potential origin of something from nothing?

Recall Einsteins famous equation: E=MC^2

We know that virtual particles can, and do create and annihilate themselves (see quantum physics), have mass, and during their creation and annihilation follow the rules for the conservation of energy. So the mass of a virtual particle that creates it self, must be offset my an equal amount of negative energy. In other words, the mass side of the equation, must be fully offset by negative energy on the other side for the universe to remain in balance.

We start with nothing so lets's reform the above equation to:

0=(MC^2)-E

With M being the mass, and E being the negative energy associated with the creation of the virtual particle.

Lets try to keep this real simple:

Think of the Mass in this equation as representing all the matter in the universe.
E = the net sum of the energy in the universe......but here's the interesting part. Gravity expresses itself as NEGATIVE energy.

So according to our best measurements we get:

E= 10^-69 joules
M = 10^52kg
c= speed of light

=

=10^-69 joules = 10^52kg(c)
=10^-69 joules = 10^69 joules

=

0= (10^69 joules) - (10^69 joules)

And there you have it. A flat balanced universe with all the mass and energy we observe, from "nothing".

No supernatural force required....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell