Originally Posted by Thunderstick
God has demonstrated time and again that His prophetic promises come true. On that basis our hope is not a mere happy thought but a joyful expectation that lives in the present and looks to the future.

Science cannot offer us anything authoritative regarding our origins because it cannot repeatedly test spontaneous generation. Science cannot predict our future because it has no reliable data for that.

Looking far into the past or into the future with science will only show it's inadequacy to provide those answers. We look with faith, not a blind one, but one that sees all the promises kept to the prophets. We also see lives that have been radically changed by faith in Christ. I have known drunks and crackheads changed by Christ without going through any rehab programs. I'm not saying those programs are not necessary at times but I have seen when they were not. We are not merely talking about a mind change but a heart change...a metamorphosis of a new person.
This is real evidence of a hope that is assured.

Scientist are much better about admitting there are things we don't know. Substituting your God, or any other mythical or supernatural answer is not really an answer.

As for your assertion that no one's ever kicked any addiction without Christ demonstrates your parochial view of the world.

Are you really so arrogant to think no non-Christian has ever kicked a habit? "Twelve Step" program generally have a very generous definition of "higher power". What they really mean by this is have a purpose beyond yourself. This purpose is not limited to Christianity, can be Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism, or Americanism, a strong belief in our constitution. It can even be Marxism, because, as we know, plenty of commie Marxist are true believers. Or this purpose can be as simple as one's family.

What's not included is Nihilism. It's also a common symptom of the mass shooters who just want the world to burn.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell