Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by SMalloy805
It’s not a problem to the great majority of educated people in the world. The problem in America is that there are so many so-called fundamentalist religious groups that take the Bible literally. That’s odd, because there are many conflicting things in the Bible. But the majority of believers have no trouble with it,(Evolution). They understand that religion is about moral values and science is concerned with the factual state of the world and the universe, which are two different things. Religion is a system for finding answers to moral questions, or at least a satisfying answer to moral questions , and the factual state of the world has no influence on that at all.Science does not deal with moral questions, but is good at answering factual questions. So essentially there is little connection between the two. Historically, religion has always intervened in the domain we now call science, and there has been a struggle when the boundaries had to be redrawn. That’s one of the reasons why people keep speaking about conflict, when in fact there is none. Most religious people have no trouble accepting the facts that science offers, because whatever the factual state of the world , it cannot possibly threaten true religious inquiry.”

Stephen J. Gould. A Glorious Accident Understanding our place in the cosmic puzzle

Yeah you know what?.. I ain't letting any Manhattan Jew 'define' jack schit for me. That's a personal law for me.

Feel free though.

Gould is famous for "punctuated equilibrium"---the theory that tries to reconcile Neo-Darwinism with the decidedly anti-Darwinian fossil record. "Punk-eek" doesn't work either, but its hilariously funny watching the intellectual contortions neo-Darwinian fundamentalists have to go through to try to reconcile their theory with the disconfirming evidence.

Tarquin