Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
You have no idea how long the road is, nor how long it rains, consequently you have no idea if the number that you think are so big are actually large compared to the number of total opportunities for the occurrence happen.

Second, there's an additional flaw in your "fine tuning" argument. Those estimates you present are for life to occur as we know it.

First, if you are going to argue infinities I'll state that lead will turn into gold. It just takes time approaching infinity. Prove me wrong.

Second. Change a constant like the gravitational constant either way by something like 1 part in 10e50 and life CANNOT exist. The universe either blows up or collapses.

Not a proof but to be completely dismissive of the long odds is absurd. Most would call it of some probative value. a.k.a. evidence.

Your assertion about the gravitational constant brings up another flaw in your reasoning. That presumes all other constants remain constant.

A multi-variable equation can have more than one solution.

Remember those pesky functions in high school algebra?

For each x there a given y, but as x changes, so does y giving many such equations an infinite number of solutions.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell