Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
We are happy to be known as men of faith and confidence in the facts and evidence. I have no interest in presenting my position from the basis of doubt, uncertainty, and speculative theory.

Faith needs neither facts or evidence. Faith is a belief held without the support of facts or evidence. The existence of a God or gods is not a fact, nor is there evidence to justify a conviction in their existence. What it says in the bible about God (or the Quran, Gita, etc), is not evidence for the existence of God.

You either exercise blind faith or faith that rests on evidence. I choose the latter. Faith for me is the faith that is defined by the Bible--as believing in the evidence.
"Prove all things, hold fast that which is good."
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Faith has multiple definitions. Here is one from Noah Webster's original dictionary which follows one of the biblical definitions.
2. The assent of the mind to the truth of a proposition advanced by another; belief, or probable evidence of any kind.

Faith is being redefined in our age to mean acceptance of anything that has no facts or evidence to support it. That is not the biblical definition of faith.

Here is a Greek Lexicon definition of faith pistis,
3982 peíthō(the root of 4102 /pístis, "faith") – to persuade; (passive) be persuaded of what is trustworthy.

The faith you describe is not true faith at all. The Bible talks about true and false faith. James tells us that false faith has no evidence of correlating acts.

The faith you describe is more akin to the belief in atheistic evolution than biblical faith.