Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Well I suppose, if one does not have the innate moral character to do what is right.

Sorry to be harsh but that's how I see it. I'd be much better off as a crook if in the end it didn't matter. And probably offed myself a few years ago when things got really rough. If one simply ceases to exist, why not?

Absolutely, yes, there are many who NEED a crutch to guide them through a moral and civil life. And if a belief in a deity works for them, great. More power to them. I have never criticized any for Faith. Some of my most beloved family members are, or were before they passed, very devout.

Just recognize that some people do have enough resolve to know good from bad. Enough wisdom to know what is destructive to community relations and what is beneficial to community and family.

Or if nothing else they recognize the harm and pain it would do to their family if they were to take up a life of crime or drugs, the hurt they would leave behind with suicide.

Not everyone needs God to comfort them each day. Some have discovered Heaven right here on Earth with family or friends. I, for one, have no need to believe that anything happens after the electrons quit flowing through the grey matter.

And if there is no one left behind to mourn your early demise, if suicide will bring no harm to any other person, then absolutely, Why Not?

A fellow I worked with for thirty years took that choice as his age advanced. It was time for a nursing home. He was no longer able to care for himself at home. He had no family to even mourn his passing, certainly none who would have cared for him as an invalid.

He made a choice to not go to a nursing home. His neighbors heard the gunshot, and it was all over. I certainly respect the choice he made.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.