Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by scoony
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Without an absolute, guiding moral ideology, and I don't think secular humanists have that, you're left with the bad of human nature and none of the good. Why did the grand Marxist experiment degenerate into a country run by corrupt oligarchs in a very short time on the scale of human history?

You don't think secular humans have guiding morals? There are many theories on the origin of morals, and religion is only one of them.

Yes, empathy, social organization.....

It's a long discussion but in a nutshell without some universal truths you're left with moral relativism. Which by definition can be rationalized into whatever you want it to be. So empathy and social organization is fine this week but may be inconvenient next week. And since the ends justify the means there's no impediment to rationalizing "the good" as we wish it to be today. It's a very self-centered or selfish thing. I decide what's right and that happens to fit my self interest - why not since I'm the ultimate arbiter. Made a good justification for eugenics for example. Which following the tradition of Sanger lead to Planned Parenthood or more accurately Planned Infanticide.

What is it that makes something a 'Universal Truth?' A description with an example may help.