Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

How about we don't assume anything, and base our beliefs on good evidence?

That would be far too rational and reasonable for some folks. Too much reality is a bad thing it seems.

So if we don't assume anything can we assume that we have no reason to believe anything that is taught in our public school systems? Should parents tell their children every day they go to school, "Don't assume that anything you are taught is correct." Would it not be better to say, learn all you can, but ask for evidence about anything that doesn't sound right? No one can start the learning process without trusting in something as a starting point. It is better to seek truth than to rely on doubt as a guide--otherwise the best you can become is a doubter and I doubt that will have a good outcome.

The question is: why do people assume that their own holy book, the Bible, Quran,Gita, etc, is a source of factual information about the world as it is? That the world was created by Brahman or Yahweh or Allah....?

Each assuming that they have the truth, that their own book is reliable, while the other are wrong.

This thread is not about which holy book ... but about the myth of evolution. We have discussed holy books on another thread. The issue being addressed is the approach to evidence and education and specifically as it pertains to evolution. I am completely skeptical of the lack of logic, lack of common sense, lack of mathematical/statistical probability in the evolutionary theory. However my starting point is to seek truth, facts, and evidence, and it is not to deny all that I can possibly deny--which is what I was pointing out. Evolutionists try to deny all that can possibly be denied except for evolution which they embrace on the basis of the remotest random possibilities. They would never allow such a remote possibility as sufficient evidence for the existence of God, but they will allow that for the possibility of evolution. The very critical thinking aspect of the ideology of evolution is seriously flawed.

Despite the protests of theists like yourself to the contrary, evolution is a proven reality. Only the means and mechanisms of evolution are subject to testing and revision.

I mentioned holy books because their claims of knowledge in relation to the supernatural are not proven. Worse they contradict each other on the nature of their God or gods and how the world was created.