I think you could have a civilization without any god.

But, yes, you would still need the higher power of a strict government.

The majority of people can not choose a selfless life. For many, the only thing which keeps them from victimizing other people is fear of discipline, getting punched in the nose, going to jail, going to Hell. Heck, I am in favor of public caning for vandalism, or petit theft.

The problem remains, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Power is a very dangerous thing whether it is held in the hands of a Judge, an administrator, a policeman, a Priest, or even the Pope.

So what is the answer? We know it is not pure democracy. That just equates to two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. We know it is not a theocracy. That inevitably leads to The Inquisition or Sharia Law.

I suppose mankind will have to continue as he has for the last 20 to 30 thousand years, balancing the oppressive hand of chosen governments against the oppressive hand of chosen religions.

Perhaps that is the genius of our founding fathers. Not that they embraced religion when they wrote our Constitution, but that they found a balance of power between oppressive government and oppressive religion.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.