Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by DBT
I'm not asking what "some" consider good evidence, I'm asking you.

Intelligent design and irreducible complexity is a good start. Without that, what is there?

An all powerfull, all knowing Entity appearing out of nowhere might help.

I doubt that a Creator that's capable of creating a universe would have much of a problem proving its own existence.

Wow, where to begin. Let's start with your hypothetical construct of God "appearing out of nowhere" as your example of good evidence, along with your contention that God should "not have much of a problem" proving to you and I that He exists.

Hypothetical construct? You don't realize that God "appearing out of nowhere" was a flippant remark, cynicism, not meant to be taken literally. Look at the context.

First, it presumes that God needs to "show evidence" or "proof" that he exists. Where does that come from, I find it rather presumptuous. Personally I never thought God owed me anything of the sort, do you think He owes you incontrovertible proof of His existence? What is your presumption based on? Is your concept of God similar to that of a scientist who publishes in peer-reviewed journals and is subject to the same rules as everyone else? Above you describe Him as "all powerful, all knowing," so why would he be subject to the same "rules" that humans are?

It has nothing to do with 'God having to show evidence.' The question being; is there evidence for the existence of a God? The answer; there is not. The world appears to function naturally according to physical principles.

It doesn't matter if the universe is teeming with gods, one hidden in every nook and cranny, one to blow the wind, one to form waves on the oceans, keep the currents moving....if there is no evidence to support a justified belief in the existence of a God or gods, it is not justified to be convinced that a hidden God or gods exist. The question of their existence is mere speculation

[quote=DBT]
It's as if the three year-old boy next door called you a wimp and challenged your manhood, would you feel the need to throw down and show him who's boss?

Next, you skipped right past my question and went straight to the question of God's existence. Which I suspect is the basis of your opinions but it's irrelevant to my question which was: What would you consider good evidence of God's involvement in evolution?

Let's see if you can stay focused on that one. You've cited intelligent design/irreducible complexity but that's not an answer to my question, those are just men's theories. Disproving them just means that the theories don't fit the evidence. The answer to my question is this: Start with the hypothesis that God is involved in evolution. What evidence would you look for in order to prove or disprove it.

Your initial assumption was false, then you gleefully run with it as if you are making some sort of a real point. The actual point being justification of belief. Justification entails evidence. If there is a hidden God, an undetectable God, a God that does not interact with its Creation...that is the same as no God at all. We know nothing about it.

''Start with the hypothesis that God is involved in evolution. What evidence would you look for in order to prove or disprove it.''

As pointed out before, if there is a God involved with evolution, would you not expect to see some sign of manipulation? Some sign of purpose? So again, justification of belief, if God exists but is undetectable, what reason do we have to be convinced in the existence of a God?

Last edited by DBT; 08/07/19.