Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by Kellywk
My wife and I have always worried about retirement, but then God brought a gentleman from our church into our lives. we ended up giving him a power of attorney where our paychecks go into his account and he then pays our bills and invests the balance. Mr. Claiborne says that we should be able to retire well ahead of schedule......
Does he give you monthly or quarterly statements and does he tell you exactly where your money is invested? If not, I'd run.

He tells us the balance every quarter, but in order to prevent temptation from causing us to wreck his work, we've agreed to run it like a blind trust where we won't know until retirement what investments he's chose for us.

Is Mr. Claiborne from Nairobi? I got an email from that dude about some money I had coming...

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by ihookem
Lots of good points here. Ramsey has good ideas for people just getting started. He mentioned getting an financial advisor. I had there and they were just awful. The time came when I knew the last one was just terrible. He sold me Non Traded REITS and loaded Franklin funds. It has been 5 yrs now and the Non Traded REIT is stuck there , not able to sell it and went from 25 per share to 17 and 7% dividends to 4%. Five years and still under water. The Franklin funds were sold but I track them and I would likely be up 5%?? after 5yrs. I stayed with him for a little over a year and was gone. Did not even bother to return his call and to make matters worse my sone worked there and they fired him a while later. For what it's worth , there is a Pimco bond fund I have been happy with for about a year. The ticker is PONAX. It pays monthly and comes to a bit over 5% in dividends per year. The share price stays almost the same but goes up and down a bit. I put my temporary money in it like future tax money I saved for property taxes ETC and in a ROTH. I low 5% is not much but it only lost 10% in the crash 10 yrs ago and went back up pretty good. I am way ahead doing my own investments . Here is the catch. I could get rentals and do well. I have been a carpenter for 38 yrs. I could go work on properties for sweat equity , or I could stay at work for $45-50 per hr. I put in two bids on 2 rentals 6 yrs ago. I would have done better had I go those two houses. I went with stocks and some bonds. My income is about $18,000 per yr. Not bad, and almost completely tax free with ROTHS, 401's and qualified dividends that are low taxed, with my Municipal bonds that are tax free on the divies. I have 38 investments from $2,000 in Owens Corning to $100,000 in British Petroleum and everything else in between. Here is one catch though. I studied investing for about 5 yrs now , almost every night . I learned that it is very hard to beat a handful of index funds and a few bond funds. I make almost exactly what the market does but I do it with almost half the volatility. A good way to start is index funds if you are young, but not if you are over 50 or so cause the market is very high, but might go a lot higher. Safe dividend stocks like the Dividend Kings are a good bet. AT&T, Exxon Mobil, Walgreens, AO Smith, Kroger Foods are good companies that have raised their divies an awful long time, even through the crash. I hope to get to about $25,000 in divies in 4 yrs when I turn 60. I should get $1,700 form S.S. but lets say $1,500 and hope for $700 from my Carpenters pension. This gets me $50,000 a yr. I think I can do that forever cause I made only $40,000 last year and saved $18,000. I am cheap , love life on the cheap. Get a kick out of guys with $50,000 boats. My boat is 29 yrs old as of Saturday and I catch more walleyes that almost all of them hot shots. Also, I have no debt and house has been payed for 10 yrs. The Lord with contentment is great gain.

very insightful post, your tip on the pimco fund isn't a bad one. 5% isn't a bad gig if you can liquidate it easily. This is an interesting thread. I think it shows different people view retirement and what is enough totally differently. I think this depends on where you live and also what standard of living you want. There is no right or wrong answer. Its you and your own happiness.

For me enough is a check for $20k/month in passive income. I don't see how you are going to accomplish that in stocks and "good growth stock mutual funds" The dave ramsey miliionaires aren't coming to the table with that level of passive income. I would also ask that if anyone knows someone that has built a portfolio with stocks that reaches 20k/month and didn't use inheritance or some lucky lump sum to get there I would be highly interested in talking to them. I personally think those people don't exist. I think the dave ramsey millionaires are people that have a paid for house, have 120k in a 401k, colllect $1500 a month in social security. and collect a pension, which probably totals 5-6k in income /month and they are calling themselves retired with that.

The problem with dave's strategy on real estate is that its kinda a mediocre investment if you don't use financing to accelerate it. Lets say you have 300k in cash to buy a rental house. Your investment is only appreciating 3% a year, That only keeps pace with inflation. So your cash nest egg investment most likely never gains in net value relative to inflation. Instead if you buy 3, 300k houses. you are getting appreciation on 900k in assets. so instead of 9k/year in appreciation. you are going to be getting 27k in appreciation on the 300k investment, that is 9% right there!!! even if you broke even on rents. Also the other beauty of real estate is you are able to keep rolling up and never pay taxes on the appreciated value. AND there are other things you can do with depreciation, google cost segregation study if you are bored.

with stocks you are paying taxes on the gains, with real estate you are deferring those taxes if you do it correctly. with stocks you have no leveraged appreciation. Also in most cases when you invest in the stock market you are depending on appreciation of the stock, Depending on a value increase IMO is gambling. If done correctly you invest for cash flow with real estate. That way you don't depend on appreciation, instead that is the giant cherry on top when you go to sell.

Property tax, homeowners insurance and maintenance take a big bite out of that appreciation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 19352012
Lots of good points here. Ramsey has good ideas for people just getting started. He mentioned getting an financial advisor. I had there and they were just awful. The time came when I knew the last one was just terrible. He sold me Non Traded REITS and loaded Franklin funds. It has been 5 yrs now and the Non Traded REIT is stuck there , not able to sell it and went from 25 per share to 17 and 7% dividends to 4%. Five years and still under water. The Franklin funds were sold but I track them and I would likely be up 5%?? after 5yrs. I stayed with him for a little over a year and was gone. Did not even bother to return his call and to make matters worse my sone worked there and they fired him a while later. For what it's worth , there is a Pimco bond fund I have been happy with for about a year. The ticker is PONAX. It pays monthly and comes to a bit over 5% in dividends per year. The share price stays almost the same but goes up and down a bit. I put my temporary money in it like future tax money I saved for property taxes ETC and in a ROTH. I low 5% is not much but it only lost 10% in the crash 10 yrs ago and went back up pretty good. I am way ahead doing my own investments . Here is the catch. I could get rentals and do well. I have been a carpenter for 38 yrs. I could go work on properties for sweat equity , or I could stay at work for $45-50 per hr. I put in two bids on 2 rentals 6 yrs ago. I would have done better had I go those two houses. I went with stocks and some bonds. My income is about $18,000 per yr. Not bad, and almost completely tax free with ROTHS, 401's and qualified dividends that are low taxed, with my Municipal bonds that are tax free on the divies. I have 38 investments from $2,000 in Owens Corning to $100,000 in British Petroleum and everything else in between. Here is one catch though. I studied investing for about 5 yrs now , almost every night . I learned that it is very hard to beat a handful of index funds and a few bond funds. I make almost exactly what the market does but I do it with almost half the volatility. A good way to start is index funds if you are young, but not if you are over 50 or so cause the market is very high, but might go a lot higher. Safe dividend stocks like the Dividend Kings are a good bet. AT&T, Exxon Mobil, Walgreens, AO Smith, Kroger Foods are good companies that have raised their divies an awful long time, even through the crash. I hope to get to about $25,000 in divies in 4 yrs when I turn 60. I should get $1,700 form S.S. but lets say $1,500 and hope for $700 from my Carpenters pension. This gets me $50,000 a yr. I think I can do that forever cause I made only $40,000 last year and saved $18,000. I am cheap , love life on the cheap. Get a kick out of guys with $50,000 boats. My boat is 29 yrs old as of Saturday and I catch more walleyes that almost all of them hot shots. Also, I have no debt and house has been payed for 10 yrs. The Lord with contentment is great gain.

very insightful post, your tip on the pimco fund isn't a bad one. 5% isn't a bad gig if you can liquidate it easily. This is an interesting thread. I think it shows different people view retirement and what is enough totally differently. I think this depends on where you live and also what standard of living you want. There is no right or wrong answer. Its you and your own happiness.

For me enough is a check for $20k/month in passive income. I don't see how you are going to accomplish that in stocks and "good growth stock mutual funds" The dave ramsey miliionaires aren't coming to the table with that level of passive income. I would also ask that if anyone knows someone that has built a portfolio with stocks that reaches 20k/month and didn't use inheritance or some lucky lump sum to get there I would be highly interested in talking to them. I personally think those people don't exist. I think the dave ramsey millionaires are people that have a paid for house, have 120k in a 401k, colllect $1500 a month in social security. and collect a pension, which probably totals 5-6k in income /month and they are calling themselves retired with that.

The problem with dave's strategy on real estate is that its kinda a mediocre investment if you don't use financing to accelerate it. Lets say you have 300k in cash to buy a rental house. Your investment is only appreciating 3% a year, That only keeps pace with inflation. So your cash nest egg investment most likely never gains in net value relative to inflation. Instead if you buy 3, 300k houses. you are getting appreciation on 900k in assets. so instead of 9k/year in appreciation. you are going to be getting 27k in appreciation on the 300k investment, that is 9% right there!!! even if you broke even on rents. Also the other beauty of real estate is you are able to keep rolling up and never pay taxes on the appreciated value. AND there are other things you can do with depreciation, google cost segregation study if you are bored.

with stocks you are paying taxes on the gains, with real estate you are deferring those taxes if you do it correctly. with stocks you have no leveraged appreciation. Also in most cases when you invest in the stock market you are depending on appreciation of the stock, Depending on a value increase IMO is gambling. If done correctly you invest for cash flow with real estate. That way you don't depend on appreciation, instead that is the giant cherry on top when you go to sell.

Property tax, homeowners insurance and maintenance take a big bite out of that appreciation.

All those items your renters pay and have nothing to do with property value

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
I don't understand those that say they like to work? Working for others is my definition of hell. Working for yourself is better but you still have a boss.... your customers...
I say those that make the claim they love to work are lying to themselves and the rest of us.
Staying busy on your own terms is not work....

You know those people that you don't agree with? Well they don't agree with you right back.

yes that's a pretty bold statement to say they are lying...…..a little arrogant …..bob

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
FWIW as I recall, Dave Ramsey made his wealth in the Real Estate business...….

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I am in the camp that does not consider your home an investment to build wealth... maybe for your heirs?
You need a home to live in. Now if you plan to downsize or move to a much cheaper locale that could work. Maybe a reverse mortgage? Otherwise don't lie to yourself......

if you are tied to your home and can never see yourself moving......I would agree with you.....but for those that don't get emotionally attached to their house......different story......bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wife had an employer that offered a 2:1 match up to 4% in her 401k. Helped it build quick. Im self employed so we do the max into mine plus each have a Roth and a few individual stocks we purchased early on (Disney and Merck).
Owning a construction company, we naturally gravitate towards real estate. Toughest part is holding them. Just bought a duplex in a nice neighborhood that was dated (completely original) and was still in one tax parcels. Split it into two parcels to be able to sell individually and putting 40K into it. My agent said it will bring $100,000 more than the original investment minus the 40K and 16K in commission. Hard to hold it long term now when I can cash out 44K in 10 weeks and do a 1031 exchange and out that equity into another property.
Have a 4 Plex that is owner financed and plan on doing the same for a young guy when I'm ready to cash out.

Also keep a good amount of cash in the business and the kids college funds are each about halfway to paying for four years at a state school.
Our wealth has been equally attributed to stocks and real estate at face value, but the reality is my job in construction and selling spec houses funded the stocks.

Last edited by jackmountain; 07/30/19.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I don't understand those that say they like to work? Working for others is my definition of hell. Working for yourself is better but you still have a boss.... your customers...
I say those that make the claim they love to work are lying to themselves and the rest of us.

You know those people that you don't agree with? Well they don't agree with you right back.

People who like to work when they don't have to are those who never got any hobbies or interests. Kind of strange on an outdoors website...

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by BobMt
I am in the camp that does not consider your home an investment to build wealth... maybe for your heirs?
You need a home to live in. Now if you plan to downsize or move to a much cheaper locale that could work. Maybe a reverse mortgage? Otherwise don't lie to yourself......

if you are tied to your home and can never see yourself moving......I would agree with you.....but for those that don't get emotionally attached to their house......different story......bob

It's got nothing to do with emotional attachment. It's got to do with "moving". It's a PITA and gets worse every year that you get older. You can't do it all like when you were younger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People who like to work when they don't have to are those who never got any hobbies or interests. Kind of strange on an outdoors website...

I don't understand it myself but there are those who have identified so closely with what they have done the majority of their lives that it becomes their identity and they are lost without it. Have seen many Grade15/Senior Executives in the government retire and then they are back within 6 months in one capacity or another. They find out the wife really doesn't want them around the house idea all day and the children/grandchildren are busy with their lives and they never developed outside interests. They go back to work even though they don't need the money but they have nothing else to do.

Myself? Way too many interests to work a day longer than I have to. We're done in 3 1/2 years at 59. We will move from MD to NH and it will be a big new world to explore 9and not sit in traffic), fish and hunt, and deep winter is workshop and outdoors stuff and of course flying and exploring New England and the Maritimes. My parents are in their 80's and more active together and in their community as they have ever been. Having something to do every day is a key to a long and happy retirement.

A huge reason I stayed flying the reserves until retirement was to get TriCare at 60 and between it and my wife's insurance that she can take into retirement followed by Tricare and Medicare. Combine it with us living below our means, investing early and often in our lives it should work out. We transferred everything to Fidelity in our 40's and have been very pleased with their advice. My companies 403B was already with them so an easy move. My parents used Vanguard and had a similar experience, although my Dad is a much more active investor when it comes to stocks than I am but he grew up before mutual funds were as wide-spread as now.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Less than 3% of retirees have 1 million or more.
You said you need to have 20k a month, and that would be 6 million dollars in a liquid account.
General rule is 10-14 times income in retirement, so I guess you make 500-600K per year?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

yes that's a pretty bold statement to say they are lying...…..a little arrogant …..bob

Dang Bob, couldn't you have called me an azzhole or retard or maybe a GFY? ........ arrogant... kinda harsh.... frown
I tend to agree with UPhiker on this one..... no true outdoorsman wants to spend all his time working.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I’ve done it myself with Vanguard funds, absolutely no regrets.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
A house isn't an investment, it's a place to live. If you sell it, you still have to have a place to live. My wife and I invested in mutual funds our entire careers and will be fully retired in 2 years. We will be able to live very comfortably.

Disagree. 8% per year increase in value is nothing to sneeze at. You can sell it after it's doubled in value in 9 years, buy another place for the same money you paid for the first one, and pocket the profit. I've done it twice in the past 22 years.

Also disagree. I fully intend to downsize when I retire. My house has almost doubled what I paid for it 7 years ago. I have put about $20K into it. I'd say getting $200k out of it clear, would be an investment.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

All those items your renters pay and have nothing to do with property value

Uh huh.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I always seem to go towards RE
Have little in stocks/funds these days

20 YO house on 75 acres in a booming area.
7,500 Sq.Ft. building 3 blocks from a 10K student college
2 OF beach rentals
1 Smokey Mtn rental[so far]

All of the RE has had great appreciation over the life of our ownership

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dang Bob, couldn't you have called me an azzhole or retard or maybe a GFY? ........ arrogant... kinda harsh.... frown
I tend to agree with UPhiker on this one..... no true outdoorsman wants to spend all his time working.

Some would like to be working on their hunting and fishing...I could make it a full time job...😎

PS
Fubar is arrogant? Laffin, not even close...

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The more I read about Dave Ramsey the less credibility I think he is. SOME of his advice is common sense and good. SOME is good for some people and not for others. He was a complete utter failure in finances and ended up in debt up to his eyeballs because of bad choices. His advice is geared toward people heading down that path, or already where he was. People who make good decisions from the beginning might find another path works better.

A home isn't as great a financial asset as many believe. My mom and dad paid $25K for the lot and to have a home built in 1972. After they passed it sold for $103K 41 years later in 2013 for a $78K profit. But in those 41 years they paid insurance and property taxes every year. It was painted twice, re-roofed twice, the HVAC system replaced twice, water heater twice, kitchen appliances replaced, new floors and the driveway was repaved once and finally broken up and new concrete installed. For whatever reason the septic system lasted about a year after we sold it and the new owners replaced it.

When you back out the money spent for taxes, insurance, and upkeep there was very little profit after 41 years.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

It's got nothing to do with emotional attachment. It's got to do with "moving". It's a PITA and gets worse every year that you get older. You can't do it all like when you were younger.

No but there sure are people that will do it for you if you pay them. Not too hard to figure out.

Camp is where you make it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JMR40
The more I read about Dave Ramsey the less credibility I think he is. SOME of his advice is common sense and good. SOME is good for some people and not for others. He was a complete utter failure in finances and ended up in debt up to his eyeballs because of bad choices. His advice is geared toward people heading down that path, or already where he was. People who make good decisions from the beginning might find another path works better.

A home isn't as great a financial asset as many believe. My mom and dad paid $25K for the lot and to have a home built in 1972. After they passed it sold for $103K 41 years later in 2013 for a $78K profit. But in those 41 years they paid insurance and property taxes every year. It was painted twice, re-roofed twice, the HVAC system replaced twice, water heater twice, kitchen appliances replaced, new floors and the driveway was repaved once and finally broken up and new concrete installed. For whatever reason the septic system lasted about a year after we sold it and the new owners replaced it.

When you back out the money spent for taxes, insurance, and upkeep there was very little profit after 41 years.

A single family home is a luxury according to my Dad. He lives in one but does not consider it an investment.

In 1965 he bought a new 2 family home in NJ for 25k. He sold said home in 1995 for 375K. He had an initial 250 a month mortgage which the renter paid for the first 15 years and then of course rents went up considerably. The rent was up to 1500 when he sold the home in 1995. the house had a first floor with 3 bedrooms and a full basement with kitchen, LR and bathroom. He delved in the stock market very briefly and got out. I don't even remember the brokerage house. He flipped homes and commercial properties and did quite well even while working 60 hour weeks at a regular job

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,253
Posts18,504,724
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.