Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

What we have here is a failure to distract.

Hmmmm....How can you know my driving habits but not my gun handling habits or toilet seat etiquette?

fact is you don't really know ScHitt about any of them.

You harmlessly break traffic laws...

since you assume I commonly break numerous road laws, why would you assume such violations have been harmless?

... You complain about people who harmlessly break traffic laws.

I have never narrowed it to harmless violations , or deaths or injuries for that matter,

mY point was simply about the [personally witnessed] overwhelming frequency with which city cyclists break the laws,
regardless of the outcomes.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think PaulBarnard is paddler.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

The study suggests that cyclists are less likely to hit cyclists while driving motor vehicles, it does not touch at all upon how many of those same cyclists pull stupid and/or irritating crap while riding their bicycles on the street..

I'm not sure how that relates to the fact that when a car and a bike tangle, the bicyclist always loses. It doesn't matter how good the bicyclist is when he's driving a car. What the law says about a bike rider's right to use the road is irrelevant. It doesn't matter where the rumble strips are, or how wide the shoulder is. The mental maturity of the car's driver is not important. The. Bicyclist. Always. Loses.

I have heard truckers espouse the same big boy mentality. And you are right, riding in compliance with the law doesn't matter. That is until the wrongful death suit is filed.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...r-killed-in-bike-crash-wins-11119621.php

Juries tend to be hard on those who cause cyclists deaths. I would imagine more so when their social media rantings expose them as having a cavalier attitude toward cyclists.

The jury will never be as hard on the motorist as death is on the cyclist.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I think PaulBarnard is paddler.

Now that's just a low blow.

Besides Paul owns a 257 Roberts and has never talked about his home theater setup.

Paddler owns (supposedly) high end shotguns and is very proud of his home theater.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

If you think fishermen are liars, when is the last time you asked a cyclist how far he road his bike today?

?? When was the last time you asked one?

Anyhow, 55 miles for me, up Rt 84 to Loma. Had to wait for the local bike shop in GF to open at 10, cleared town about 11.

First ten miles or so the truck traffic was so bad and the road and shoulder so narrow I thought about turning back, felt like a hazard to everyone, slow progress bailing off the asphalt every couple of minutes onto grass and gravel impossible to ride. Got better after that, wider shoulder, much less trafficplus I had a tailwind. Felt lousy later on tho, sick, quit with three hours of daylight left but found an ace inexpensive little motel in here in the wide spot on the Marias called Loma. Beautiful evening 😎

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Keep peddling Paul, you’ll get there some day!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bigshot1975
You should have ran a broom stick through their spokes 700! There is nothing I despise more than cyclists and their attitudes!

When they park the bike they get in their Prius and assume that smug, holier than thou facial expression when you pass them with your gas guzzler pick-up.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
When the wife and I started cycling we both said there was no way that we would be wearing spandex shorts. After the first couple fifty mile rides we changed our minds. Spandex shorts with a chamois pad and plenty of chamois buttr is a necessity if riding over 35 miles.

We rarely ride on the road anymore but will attest that many riders are a-holes. If you think they're bad on the roads, try a bike trail close to a town. We've been run off the trail several times by oncoming riders.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by bigshot1975
You should have ran a broom stick through their spokes 700! There is nothing I despise more than cyclists and their attitudes!

When they park the bike they get in their Prius and assume that smug, holier than thou facial expression when you pass them with your gas guzzler pick-up.

They can look at me holier than though all they want to. My Ram 1500 gets great economy. This is on a trip from west CO through the mountains of CO into the mountains of NM and into west TX. It hauls 3 bikes in the bed. I am not using my $3000 bikes for a back bumper.

[Linked Image]chevron station near me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

If you think fishermen are liars, when is the last time you asked a cyclist how far he road his bike today?

?? When was the last time you asked one?

Anyhow, 55 miles for me, up Rt 84 to Loma. Had to wait for the local bike shop in GF to open at 10, cleared town about 11.

First ten miles or so the truck traffic was so bad and the road and shoulder so narrow I thought about turning back, felt like a hazard to everyone, slow progress bailing off the asphalt every couple of minutes onto grass and gravel impossible to ride. Got better after that, wider shoulder, much less trafficplus I had a tailwind. Felt lousy later on tho, sick, quit with three hours of daylight left but found an ace inexpensive little motel in here in the wide spot on the Marias called Loma. Beautiful evening 😎

It's no fun regularly bailing to the right, but I will do it too. My last ride in CO was one where I did it. Where are your pics?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenoh2
When the wife and I started cycling we both said there was no way that we would be wearing spandex shorts. After the first couple fifty mile rides we changed our minds. Spandex shorts with a chamois pad and plenty of chamois buttr is a necessity if riding over 35 miles.

We rarely ride on the road anymore but will attest that many riders are a-holes. If you think they're bad on the roads, try a bike trail close to a town. We've been run off the trail several times by oncoming riders.

Where I just came from in Crested Butte, it's like a modern day Mayberry. The people there are the nicest, happiest people on earth.

That Chamois Butter makes a huge difference. I jumped in a lake halfway through a 100 mile ride. It washed out. I ended up with friction burns on the skin over my sit bones. Probably worse than the carpet burns 700LH gets on his forehead.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 07/31/19.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Why do the have to dress like faaaaggots?

The tight spandex/lycra clothing actually is functional on a couple of levels.

1. Moisture wicking
2. Aerodynamics. Somewhere above 15 mph wind resistance starts to really come into play.
3. Bright colors make them more noticeable to cell phone zombies and others on the road.
4. For some it almost seems to be status signaling. Some of the road bike group are very much elitist and look down on guys like me. They even have a term for us "Freds". A .

5. Not prone to snagging or getting hung up during seating position adjustments.

Hello from a fellow Fred!

6. Freeballin'!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenoh2

The secret for me is a Brooks (leather) saddle, hard as a rock when new but they break in perfect. That and thin loose fittingnylon pants, no underwear. Works fine for me, never had a problem, even if it’s been two weeks or a month between rides,

Sure I too look silly out there, but it’s a different kind of silly.

Can you imagine a shower every three or four days (often happens on a trip) with them bicycling shorts? sick

Thin nylon doesn’t hold sweat, rinses out easily in water, put it on wet and it’s dry in 15 minutes. I think lots of people wear those ridiculous cycling outfits because they ain’t aware there’s any other way.

Greasing my a$$ and crotch with “butter”? sick sick heck the way I dress I don’t even need sun block. My way ain’t perfect but clearly the cycling community went way off the rails with respect to clothing a loooong time ago.

Likewise those silly shoes that hat clip into the pedals, I ride on regular platform pedals, wearing Crocs. About to put 60 or 70 miles in today on a 80lb bicycle no problem.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 07/31/19.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ain’t figured out how to post pics on the Fire from my iPhone. I left my clunky little laptop at my buddy’s house for this brief last leg of the trip. Sure ain’t missing the weight, heavy sumb$tch for its size.

Pics when I get back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Likewise those silly shoes that hat clip into the pedals, I ride on regular platform pedals, wearing Crocs. About to put 60 or 70 miles in today on a 80lb bicycle no problem.

Mike,

I'm a fan of your endeavors, but you're ignorant of differing cycling goals. There's a chasm between what you do and what I do.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the speed limit is above 45 MPH bicycles should not be allowed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH

Just like the anti-gunners. Any magazine over 10 rounds. It's arbitrary but they try to justify it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just like the anti-gunners. Any magazine over 10 rounds. It's arbitrary but they try to justify it.

35 would be better

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Just what entitles you to unlimited access to highways that were built for motorized use? You and your selfish minions won’t let go of your conceived absolute to be somewhere that some have tolerated but you still don’t deserve...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (1_deuce, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 28 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,621
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.