Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
It seems that all denominations are willing to compromise scripture. What I look to start happening if it hasn't already started are for those people in these denominations who aren't willing to compromise to start independent groups with members of the other denominations who feel the same way. It's been discussed at our church.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A group of local UMC churches did that in my neck of the woods. The old buildings located in rural, small villages were costing a fortune to maintain. Each one may have had 20 or so congregants, one of them had a dozen. The goal was to sell them all and build one large modern church.

One church bucked and has stayed open with a 1/4 pastor. They have a Thrift Shop and a Pre School Program that keeps them a float. They might only have 20 congregants or less in a large brick church.

Out the remaining churches only one church has sold, one is being used and I don't know the status of the other two. I think they were vacated and on the market.

Dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I look at church on Sunday as a sort of family reunion with my brothers and sisters, we all have the same Father. Even if crazy Uncle Joe may be a PITA family reunions are by and large joyful and uplifting. There's more to it than that but that much seems applicable to all Christian denominations.

As for the property I suppose it depends on the church constitution. All churches should have a founding document that addresses this. Don't know but suspect it's necessary for tax exempt status.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by rost495

corporate worship is a way to keep an eye on folks, to press onward. To be able to say where were you last week. You didn't give us enough money. You need to act better, often while someone in upper management screws someone else.. literally or figuratively.

Corporate worship is about meeting together and making community around a shared ideal who, in the Christian Church, is Christ.

Toward that end I need people to keep an eye on me. My heart is prone to wander from the God I claim and therefore regular check-ins for purposes of reorientation are a must.

Doing my own thing on a Sunday morning, for me, is tantamount to making myself the ideal. I’ve been there, done that, got the friggin t-shirt and don’t want any part of that. Idolatry is my pre-programmed “go to” and proves harmful for me and those around me. God is calling for Himself a redeemed community as such. Putting up with all this BS is part of the deal cuz we’re all full of it... and yet He has called us. That’s grace.

Others’ mileage may vary, but I had to toss in my .02 to provide a counter position to the typical individualistic drivel typical of these thread

You know, I had not thought of it that way but I believe you are right. Some folks do need the unity, the watchful eye etc... we are all driven differently.

Me, If I dont' get to a church, its ok, I do my best to live it every day. I don't have much doubt, but there is always some, but being out in nature every day in my work, you see the works all around you. And in my spare time I"m constantly talking to others, and helping those that need help and so I'm gonna say we do just fine without.

But as you noted, YMMV, and I often forget that.

If all churches always were just about helping others, speaking and spreading the word and not getting panties in a wad over minor technical issues, then it would definitely be a better thing.

Of course bottom line, I'm somewhat anti people to start with, while I deal with folks every day, and smile, and enjoy that, I'm never unhappy to get home, where I don't have to see anyone else etc... social is not my ticket for sure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I look at church on Sunday as a sort of family reunion with my brothers and sisters, we all have the same Father. Even if crazy Uncle Joe may be a PITA family reunions are by and large joyful and uplifting. There's more to it than that but that much seems applicable to all Christian denominations.

As for the property I suppose it depends on the church constitution. All churches should have a founding document that addresses this. Don't know but suspect it's necessary for tax exempt status.

Interesting take on the reunion thing. Cousins of mine and my wife family somewhat think the same... we make sure we see and do with the ones we get along with, the others, if I don't see them all year long, then the need to see them once a year or such just is not there, as it should not be IMHO

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I, and we hope, and pray it works well. Merging is the only hope other than just shutting down, and going elsewhere.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I, and we hope, and pray it works well. Merging is the only hope other than just shutting down, and going elsewhere.

Prayers for you in this mission, from N.C. Clearly your situation is much different that we are experiencing in our area.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The key to a churches survival is ownership of the property. With respect to church bldgs, grounds, etc. I believe in most cases the UMC owns the property. Thus they can dictate when property is no longer of use to the UMC as a denomination. Years ago I and some others saw the liberal direction the UMC was taking, and we left the church to form another denomination. Since the UMC owned the UMC church we attended, we had no choice but to walk away, gather funds, and buy/build our own church, which we did. I have known of denominations (or associations as some are structured) who had several small churches in a geographical area which were struggling. In every case, if the denomination owned the property, they dictated a merger. If they didn't own the property, the people of the church could decide whether they wanted to remain with the denomination or go off own their own. The UMC is in a struggle for its life now. They recently voted (as a denomination) during their annual conference to reject homosexual ordination, gay marriage, and a few more. However, the vote was very close and there is a significant movement within the UMC which favors liberalizing the UMC and allowing gay pastors, homosexual/lesbian marriages, etc. This opposition has pledged to get the votes needed to bring about this liberal agenda, and I believe they will be successful. Once this happens, the UMC as a denomination will split. Of this there is no doubt as a significant part of the UMC is in Africa, and not one African church is pro gay anything. They have already said they will leave the denomination if the pro gay agenda is approved. Here at home, there are now gay/lesbian pastors in the UMC, and some UMC churches have already held gay marriages. I expect the trend to only worsen. I suggest anyone who has an interest in the UMC google this recent conference.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 29aholic, 58 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.