Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Devise and adhere to a plan that you are comfortable with.

Live within your means.

DO NOT invest money into anything that you cannot easily explain how it works to someone unfamiliar with it.

Consider risk, return potential, and tax implications before investing.

Do not take investment advice from broke people.

Last line. If your financial planner lives in an apartment and drives a Kia, you might need to rethink your choice.

As Dave says “ don’t ask broke people for financial advice “

That is a fact.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JackRyan

That is a fact.

+3

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Live within your means.

DO NOT invest money into anything that you cannot easily explain how it works to someone unfamiliar with it.

Dave Ramsay gives good advice, in general, to Joe Sixpack who gets a W2 income for a living and nothing else.

But for a sophisticated investor, he's a little out of his depth IMHO. No risk, no reward. And for Joe Sixpack this works out just fine because Joe does not have the psychology to deal with risk.

But I will point out that some of history's richest men were and are risk takers.

DJT is a prime example. He would be just average rich (from inheritance) without the deals he did in the 80s. He almost went under in the early 90s, but ended up just fine.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Live within your means.

Last line. If your financial planner lives in an apartment and drives a Kia, you might need to rethink your choice.

That is a fact.

Or it could mean that they don't waste money on stuff that they don't need...look at Warren Buffett.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
DR has good advice for the most part but he really sets people up for disappointment when he touts 10% return on investments. i guarandamntee that most of his "Pro's" don't get that. i know that for a fact because i used one for about 7-8 years and wasn't impressed. you better plan on 5-6% with standard long term mutual fund investing and plan to be happy if it does better. if you retired in 2000 and used his advice you'd be fugged a while now.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
DON'T borrow money and you can't go far wrong, for long.

More important than any other advice.

If you can't afford to pay cash for it, you can't afford it.

And yes..that goes for cars and houses too.

You can't believe how cheap you can live when everything is paid for.

Have to disagree to a degree, ingwe.

2 words.

Leverage
Equity

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by local_dirt

2 words.

Leverage
Equity
It all depends on your age. If you owe money on a house and you're in your 30-40s, it's okay. If you have a mortgage in your 60's, you're screwed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhiker

2 words.

Leverage
Equity
It all depends on your age. If you owe money on a house and you're in your 30-40s, it's okay. If you have a mortgage in your 60's, you're screwed.

I have many mortgages, and I'm not screwed.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dutch
Bottom line?

Dave Ramsey has a plan.

95% or more of the average Joe's out there don't.

Therefore, Dave Ramsey's plan wins 95% or more of the time.

You can sit and split red pu$$1 hairs arguing if it's better to save and invest in real estate, or REIT's or dividend stocks, or health care stocks, or index funds, or ETF's, but it is all whining about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Dave Ramsey's plan is simple:

1) Be deliberate in your career. Don't get stuck in a dead end low paying job. Make some money.
2) Be deliberate with your money. Spend some, save some, give some. Devise a plan and stick to it.

That's it, really. You can go all Pharisee on the details and fuss about all kind of stuff, but if you do 1) and 2), things will be just fine.

I fully agree with this.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Dutch
Bottom line?

Dave Ramsey has a plan.

95% or more of the average Joe's out there don't.

Therefore, Dave Ramsey's plan wins 95% or more of the time.

You can sit and split red pu$$1 hairs arguing if it's better to save and invest in real estate, or REIT's or dividend stocks, or health care stocks, or index funds, or ETF's, but it is all whining about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Dave Ramsey's plan is simple:

1) Be deliberate in your career. Don't get stuck in a dead end low paying job. Make some money.
2) Be deliberate with your money. Spend some, save some, give some. Devise a plan and stick to it.

That's it, really. You can go all Pharisee on the details and fuss about all kind of stuff, but if you do 1) and 2), things will be just fine.

I fully agree with this.

+3 for sure . . . I particularly like the phraseology . . . "You can go all Pharisee on the details" . . . I'm stealing that one! grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

2 words.

Leverage
Equity

I think you, and ingwe and I are talking about different things. We are talking about personal finances and you're talking about real estate investments.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

2 words.

Leverage
Equity

I think you, and ingwe and I are talking about different things. We are talking about personal finances and you're talking about real estate investments.

Correct. But, this still holds true.

"I have many mortgages, and I'm not screwed."

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
dave ramsey has lots of good advice but its not for everyone. I would say its for most people though. The problem I get is he always says "good growth stock mutual fund" uhh where? I have personally be unable to find anyone who has gotten wealthy with this strategy. NONE and I do ask. I ask my accountant, my mortgage guy, who sees 1000 tax returns a year. The problem is people don't get wealthy by investing that way. They just don't. The numbers never seem to work. the 401k people may have 100k in some account in a mutual fund they have made some money on. to that I say big whoop, 100k aint getting anything done. Where are most people's greatest wealth? in their house, right? YES that is where your average persons biggest amount of wealth is at, Soo

If you ask people that have really made it, its going to be insanely rare to find someone who doesn't trace their wealth back to real estate somehow.

Dave's advice on budgeting, settling debts, and not actually being bankrupt is spot on. I do tune in at times to listen to him but, when he tells someone to sell a rental property they have 50% equity in that makes them money every month, my eyes glaze over and he loses me.

Well, 401Ks have nothing to do with getting wealthy. They are for setting aside a portion of income for later in an inflation proof setting. For that matter, what good is $100K in a 401K at retirement? If anyone is trying to get wealthy off mutual funds, they don’t understand what they are doing. The money in my mutual funds have doubled several times over, and I still have 10 years to go to full retirement at 58. I’ve already gone somewhat conservative as I’ve already hit my goal.

I personally believe in preparing for the future, but also enjoying the present. After all, if life is not enjoyable, what’s the point? It usually boils down to making good or bad choices in life. It’s really not that hard. Self control seems to be a bigger issue.

Like I said before, most is common sense that can be done on your own, unless you lack the willpower to follow through.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave Ramsey has changed over the years.

At first I found his show almost mesmerizing, now I think he has gotten arrogant and perhaps bitter.

Jobs and relationships seem to go that way over time.

I like the saying..........

It is best to keep skunks and bankers at bay.

Debt free baby debt free!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rem141r
DR has good advice for the most part but he really sets people up for disappointment when he touts 10% return on investments. i guarandamntee that most of his "Pro's" don't get that. i know that for a fact because i used one for about 7-8 years and wasn't impressed. you better plan on 5-6% with standard long term mutual fund investing and plan to be happy if it does better. if you retired in 2000 and used his advice you'd be fugged a while now.

Exactly. All my long term planning is based on 5% growth, which stays ahead of inflation enough for modest gains. Anything else is a gamble. Now, I’ve certainly done better than 5% over time, but I’m not basing future earnings or hope of retirement on past earnings.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Exactly. All my long term planning is based on 5% growth, which stays ahead of inflation enough for modest gains. Anything else is a gamble. Now, I’ve certainly done better than 5% over time, but I’m not basing future earnings or hope of retirement on past earnings.

My portfolio ihas been yielding an average of 11.2% over the past three yers without touching the principle. It can be done. Check it out . . . High Dividend Opportunities

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

My portfolio ihas been yielding an average of 11.2% over the past three yers without touching the principle. It can be done. Check it out . . . High Dividend Opportunities

I didn’t say it can’t be done, just that it’s not a reliable figure to base your income on long term. Just because I’m averaging over 15% long term doesn’t mean I’m expecting or making my calculations on it. If you have to make those numbers to retire, you may be sorely disappointed. My retirements fully funded with 5% gains. Anything over that will just be cash I’m trying to figure out how to spend.

I also have no desire to become wealthy off my mutual funds. They’re a high interest savings account and I’m transferring quite a bit into bonds now, as I have no need to risk anything. I plan to fully deplete my mutual funds over 25 years anyway. Probably won’t be able to though, but even over 30 years will be fine.

I really don’t keep close tabs on my returns, but just looked at the 1/3/5/LOF returns and it’s 5/19/15/17%. I’m not making my retirement plans based on those results though, even though those numbers came easy.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’d give you an hour to draw a crowd, then kya for 17%

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
With longevity the way it is, you should always keep a decent percentage of money in growth funds. My Mom lived to 98 and so did two of her siblings. If you go all into bonds when you retire, inflation and higher medical expenses will eat away at your nest egg quickly.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Kodiak . . . the target yield at HDO is 7-9%. It just so happens the market has boosted that to it's current 11.2% yield. I was not trying to argue and criticize nor gainsay anything you are doing. Just comparing yields, because 4-5% is a popular perception in the portfolio management business. One thing I did a few years before retirement, in order to increase my investing options with my 401K money was to roll everything over into a rollover IRA. That way I was not restricted to just a few mutual funds selected by my company's 401K manager.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.