Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
...that with the military, LE agencies and many CC holders going to this round we will hear less and less of the street effectiveness of other calibers and rounds.

Most of the street performance stats come from LE agency shootings and with fewer and fewer carrying "other calibers" how will we be able to compare 9mm to anything other than itself...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We know that adequate hits to the CNS (with pretty much any caliber/cartridge) usually has the same result. But, since no collection data will ever be able to distinguish between physiological and psychological cessations in mobility, I'm not sure it really matters …. but that's just me.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 41magfan
We know that adequate hits to the CNS (with pretty much any caliber/cartridge) usually has the same result. But, since no collection data will ever be able to distinguish between physiological and psychological cessations in mobility, I'm not sure it really matters …. but that's just me.

I'm with you...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
... how will we be able to compare 9mm to anything other than itself...

Or maybe the outcome will be someone comes up with a better measure of handgun effectiveness using the larger body of 9mm data? We'll have to wait and see.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I carry both 9mm and .45acp depending on my mood. Humans are an interesting breed of animal. They can give up quickly with a .22lr hit, or go down fighting with a .45acp hit. There's no counting on either result. I like the .45 acp because when I shoot at metal plates, they seem to make the plates notice the hits more resoundingly... so if I'm there to impress metal plates, the .45acp is the clear winner.... But I don't feel undergunned with a 16 shot 9mm.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always thought "street effectiveness stats" were a very flawed idea. There really isn't a way to be truly scientific.
But to your point...Yeah, I think you're right.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Well, there is a way to be scientific. However, the variables are too many to clearly correlate which is most effective. As well, it is probably foolish to think of a single point estimate for a particular caliber. Instead we should be thinking of a range of accuracy. However, threats to internal validity of studying this issue scientifically should not discount the need to study the issue. As well, most people make significant errors in either over generalizing or having selective observation with such an emotional topic. What we do know is that the data has tended to show that certain calibers which generate sufficient energy and dump that energy within a human target with a well placed hit will provide a reasonably high degree of stopping power. Operationalizing those terms is another hairy bag.

What I think is missing is who brings a handgun knowingly to a gunfight? They are actually fairly inferior to the shotgun at close range and a rifle at most ranges. All that said, if we didn't have this to discuss what would we talk about and why would we ever have a reason to buy a new gun? smile

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I think if a bad shot brings a 45 to a gun fight and a good shot brings a 5.7 or 9 to the fight, the 5.7 or 9 wins and vice versa.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 65BR

Was that tongue in cheek?

Evan Marshall has been discredited in nearly everything he has done.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Was that tongue in cheek?

Evan Marshall has been discredited in nearly everything he has done.

Evan Marshall is full of BS

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
if this thread is about how pistol calibers are more alike than they are different then yes I agree, not that much difference between any common pistol caliber statistically. I would take a G17 full of 124 grain HST's over most anything else these days if I had to pick a single gun.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A Glock 17 or a Glock 45 with good 9mm ammo will solve most problems that can be solved with a handgun, I would think.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by David_Walter
A Glock 17 or a Glock 45 with good 9mm ammo will solve most problems that can be solved with a handgun, I would think.

Agreed, in the right hands.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by viking
I think if a bad shot brings a 45 to a gun fight and a good shot brings a 5.7 or 9 to the fight, the 5.7 or 9 wins and vice versa.

What's going to matter more than choice of weapons or fine marksmanship is the ability to commit, instantly and without moral compunction, to destroying another human being- and to follow through with that until it's done.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re: the link I posted, I was simply sharing a link that has percentages of stopping a bad guy based on reported data.

I was under the impression that data was factual.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
As the OP of this thread I thank you for the link....

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was under the impression that data was factual.

That is not an assumption shared by all, to put it mildly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO, sweating every little detail over caliber, bullet weight, cartridge, etc... is just a complete waste of time.

Be reasonable, don’t fall for gimmicks, use equipment that is well established. So bloody simple! After that, it ALL comes down to the shooter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're welcome Bob, I think when you get down to it, you do your research with all available info, and decide what is best for you. If you have confidence in what you carry, it is accurate and reliable, no doubt, just like hunting game, shot placement is key to stopping a threat.

I was thinking today how some folks talk about energy of this round vs that round....and my thought was - just how much energy does an arrow or knife have that cuts? Small KE/FPE.

As a cop I know said once, handgun rounds are different than rifle rounds, as they lack the hydro-static shock as many here know. He said, you are just poking holes in someone from a distance..........when you hear it put like that, well it really reinforces one's need for marksmanship under stress.

Last edited by 65BR; 08/07/19.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,684
Posts18,493,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.