Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 34 of 46 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 45 46
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by DubThomas; 08/05/19.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DubThomas

Not bad, are you going to shoot 2 10 shot groups side by side on the same sheet of paper, as the rules dictate?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Dadgum hot barrel and mirage!

Break your team shot groups into five... or 3... or 2... Letting your barrel cool between groups.

Point is to see how well your rifle does with ten shots at the same point of aim. Twice...

The folks at that say stuff like “I’ll never shoot more than three shots at a game animal” are missing the entire point. Three shots does not make a rifle a sub MOA rifle.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 08/05/19.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Not bad, are you going to shoot 2 10 shot groups side by side on the same sheet of paper, as the rules dictate?

I wasn't aware of the entire rules. I shot 10 of the last 14 of those rounds I had loaded. shocked I'll load some more this weekend and try to get to the range again. It's gonna be a hot sumbitch this weekend and the damn range doesn't open until 0900. It doesn't take long for the mirage to kick in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Break your team shot groups into five... or 3... or 2... Letting your barrel cool between groups.

Point is to see how well your rifle does with ten shots at the same point of aim. Twice...

The folks at that say stuff like “I’ll never shoot more than three shots at a game animal” are missing the entire point. Three shots does not make a rifle a sub MOA rifle.

John

I had the groups broken down into 2 shot groups and was doing ok. The problem came when I couldn't' stand the pressure any more and shot the last 5 shots one right after another. Barrel was already warm and then it got hot and mirage set in. I had the scope turned all the way up to 24X and my old eyes were having a hard time. I wasn't on my A game that day either.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I wasn't aware of the entire rules. I shot 10 of the last 14 of those rounds I had loaded. shocked I'll load some more this weekend and try to get to the range again. It's gonna be a hot sumbitch this weekend and the damn range doesn't open until 0900. It doesn't take long for the mirage to kick in.

Good luck. Remember to throw a caliper down next to the group for reference too. Looks like your rifle shoots well enough. However, like many here can attest to, you shoot one awesome group and the next one falls apart. It happens. Go back and look at some of our target pics. Youll see what im talking about

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good luck. Remember to throw a caliper down next to the group for reference too. Looks like your rifle shoots well enough. However, like many here can attest to, you shoot one awesome group and the next one falls apart. It happens. Go back and look at some of our target pics. Youll see what im talking about

Yeah I forgot the calipers as well. That rifle is pretty consistent as far as accuracy goes. I've shot smaller groups with it, usually 5 shot groups. I'll get something posted pretty soon!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Right on DubThomas. You might make the 10th (i believe) shooter to post a sub moa score. Not bad for over 33,000 views.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

John, do you have an ar? That black rifle challenge is calling your name buddy. We have 8 shooters there that have produced sub moa scores. That thread has had over 300,000 views, so i know there are guys interested. It would be nice to see at least 10 shooters (top 10) produce sub moa results with their black rifles. You are a shooter and a good candidate, if you have a good ar laying around, shoot that event. Thanks!

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Smith called today and said the makeover of my 358 Norma mag is nearing completion, i'll shoot two 10's at 100 just for you Big Buddy, the 250gr partitions leave at 2800 fps over a big charge of old Norma 204 powder, I have about 150 rounds loaded. smile

Trump Won!
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Smith called today and said the makeover of my 358 Norma mag is nearing completion, i'll shoot two 10's at 100 just for you Big Buddy, the 250gr partitions leave at 2800 fps over a big charge of old Norma 204 powder, I have about 150 rounds loaded. smile

Gunner, you are the man. Thats going to be an expensive target and a damn sore shoulder. I need to get some more 200gr partitions for my 308 Norma. Id be lucky to shoot 1.5 moa avg with that rifle. Im curious to see how you do with your 358.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Yeah I forgot the calipers as well. That rifle is pretty consistent as far as accuracy goes. I've shot smaller groups with it, usually 5 shot groups. I'll get something posted pretty soon!

Smaller groups usually 5 shots... that right there says it ALL.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah Jeff, if this challenge was about 3 and 5 shot groups, we'd have a lot more contenders. It kind of separates the men from the boys and the big talkers stay on the other forum called the hunting rifle forum... Those mother's have a hard enough time hitting the center of the target.... wink . But they are hell on a box of shells each year...

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think a really better thing would be to shoot one shot a day, for 20 days on the same target personally. Group size would go up again.

Not that its a bad thing, but the more folks understand there is a combo of things going on, weapon accuracy, shooter accuracy and conditions, at a minimum, it then SHOULD help them understand what max distance means. Or should mean, IMHO.

That said there is a certain part of getting a gun hot, to show if it has any trends, and the fact that the more you see a bughole develop the more nervous you can get, and thats a good thing to get away from too.

Its been years since I've shot enough to be competent, but the other day we had a gut pile out at 1383 yards I think it was, waiting on a grizz to take it over and I was totally convinced that prone I could make a shot from our vantage point. But we could get a lot closer easily so it would not have been, but if not shooting a lot and dont have the proof, the knowledge adn the skill, you don't have confidence then.IMHO

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
rost, you should start a new thread where guys shoot 20 shots on the same target. Each shot fired from a cold clean rifle over the course of 20 days/outings. That would take some guys here years to shoot that event. It would even take me a long damn time to do that, even though I shoot 3 times a week sometimes. Damn, that would take damn near 7 weeks to shoot and that's shooting 3 days per week. I don't know how many guys shoot that much here? I know, that is what is always brought up. First shot from a cold clean barrel. Hell, some guys don't even clean their rifles, so it would be one shot from a crusty old dirty barrel even. How would that work? Have one event shot with a fouled barrel and one event shot with a clean barrel? Start that shoot, I'll shoot it.... I'm game. Call it the hunters challenge, since that's usually who brings up the one shot per day on the same target idea...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner, you are the man. Thats going to be an expensive target and a damn sore shoulder. I need to get some more 200gr partitions for my 308 Norma. Id be lucky to shoot 1.5 moa avg with that rifle. Im curious to see how you do with your 358.

LOL, the old booter will wear a syn stock and have cerakoted metal this time around BSA, just bought a new 3-9 VX-R leupold for it, will see if I can shake something loose! cool

308 Norma with 200gr NPT's would be a butt stomper on game too, bet you'd shoot it more than fine.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Does an AR equipped with a zero-magnification EOTech count as a scoped rifle? That doesn't seem fair.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Does an AR equipped with a zero-magnification EOTech count as a scoped rifle? That doesn't seem fair.

[Linked Image]

You have the ability to add a scope to that rifle, just like the rest of us did. If you wanted to use your eotech and call it a "scoped rifle", thats totally up to you.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
More likely take the EOTech off and use the folding sights. Or just use the folding sights through the EOTech, without switching it on. They co-witness.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Irons dont' shoot that much worse than optics if you shoot em enough.

Page 34 of 46 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 50 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,356
Posts18,506,313
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.