Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 22250rem
+1 on the fanny pack idea. They can be very handy and quick to access and nobody ever looks twice at them. In winter if I carry anything I have a heavy jacket with two deep pockets right in front on either side of the zipper. Deep enough to be secure but easy to get to.

Nope.

Fanny pack SCREAMS gun.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Carried a Glock 27 for a couple years as a duty gun. Holster carry when doing overt duty. Pocket carry when undercover. Practiced both during qualification, mostly standing, but also from a mock up of a squad with old squad seats. Pocket carry worked well, saved my life and ended a knothead's who thought I was unarmed because he saw no holster.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by NH Hunter
I pocket carry in my cargo shorts/pants pocket. It's low enough that I can access when sitting and can still access quickly when standing.

When you walk, doesn't it bang into your knee?

You didn't ask me Hawkeye, but I don't even notice my Model 37 J-frame.. It's the airweight 3inch barrel and boot grip. It's small, light, and convenient. I like to IWB a 9mm, but sometimes the Smith is all i feel comfortable trying to hide.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by LJBass
I pocket carry in my cargo shorts/pants pocket. It's low enough that I can access when sitting and can still access quickly when standing.

You didn't ask me Hawkeye, but I don't even notice my Model 37 J-frame.. It's the airweight 3inch barrel and boot grip. It's small, light, and convenient. I like to IWB a 9mm, but sometimes the Smith is all i feel comfortable trying to hide.

Anything of any substance at all that I put in my cargo pockets bang into my knee with each step I take.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Well, it's almost 11 here, but you had me curious so I went and slid on a pair of the duluth cargo pants. Bottom of the pocket hits me an inch or 2 above the knee. So... well up on the muscle. Probably why I don't notice. I carry my wallet in the same pocket on the opposite side, because sciatica sucks. Probably another reason I'm used to it.

Like I said, it's not ideal, but better than nothing.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RJM
How long does it take for you to draw when seated in a car all belted in or having lunch at a restaurant...

I ran a "come as you carry" class about 15 years ago and the few people in the class who did pocket carry died in most of the scenarios that were based on real incidents....

I rarely pocket carry but when I do it is usually in a BDU pocket that has Velcro flap hold downs and a dedicated DeSantis BDU holster that holds the gun and an extra magazine.

Just wondering if any of you who do always pocket carry do any "practical practice" and how long it takes you to get a shot off once you know there is a threat to be delt with...

Bob

In a vehicle there's always one in the middle console....so drawing from a pocket (or belt carry) isn't an issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
years ago a deputy was sitting in a sambo's restaurant with his back to the front door. guy comes in intending on shooting his wife further back. so he puts a round in the back of the deputies head prior to taking out his wife.
to this day i won't sit in a restaurant unless my back is to a wall, and i have clear view of the traffic in the restaurant. usually there is a fanny pack sitting by me on the bench seat with ready access.
In thinking about it tho, i have always preferred some type of holster, rather than having to dig one out of a pocket.

My wife and my friends have all learned that I won't sit with my back to the door when we're in a restaurant. I used to tell them that it's what got Wild Bill Hicock killed. I am firm believer, and I try to teach others this, in taking notice of your surroundings, especially the people around you. That to me, is one of the keys of survival, wherever you may be, every bit as important as having your gun with you.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I’ve been doing the thing about not sitting with back to door for decades. I also give the Hickok example as my reason, half jokingly, but not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM

I have two friends who were both car jacked in the driveways of their homes...if they had been pocket carrying both would be dead vs. having killed the armed people who were trying to hijack them.

A friend's carjacking defense was to take his pocket gun and put it in a holster suspended from the steering column by a string as soon as he got in the car. More recently, I have read of others using "Detroit Carry," such as a Blade-Tech Klipt attached to the lap or shoulder belt.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Google has never heard of Detroit Carry. What is it exactly?

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I originally noticed it but not anymore. I keep my extra mags in the other legs pocket so I'm balanced as well.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by RJM

I have two friends who were both car jacked in the driveways of their homes...if they had been pocket carrying both would be dead vs. having killed the armed people who were trying to hijack them.

A friend's carjacking defense was to take his pocket gun and put it in a holster suspended from the steering column by a string as soon as he got in the car. More recently, I have read of others using "Detroit Carry," such as a Blade-Tech Klipt attached to the lap or shoulder belt.

I have found that if you take your gun out of your pocket and Place it in an easier to access place in your vehicle that it is easy to forget to put the gun back in your pocket when you get back out of your vehicle.
So for me it is better to keep my pistols in the same place in my pockets at all times..
Something to give serious thought to.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bcraig
Originally Posted by RJM

I have found that if you take your gun out of your pocket and Place it in an easier to access place in your vehicle that it is easy to forget to put the gun back in your pocket when you get back out of your vehicle.
So for me it is better to keep my pistols in the same place in my pockets at all times..

Or have one dedicated car gun and one dedicated pocket gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Google has never heard of Detroit Carry. What is it exactly?

My understanding is that is is carrying a gun attached to the lap and shoulder belt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That is a major potential downside. OTOH, if it is attached to the lap and shoulder harness, it should be harder to forgot. Alternatively, the traditional method is the ankle holster, which mostly is used in backup applications.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

That is a major potential downside. OTOH, if it is attached to the lap and shoulder harness, it should be harder to forgot. Alternatively, the traditional method is the ankle holster, which mostly is used in backup applications.

I find carrying the LCP in a shirt pocket to be the best solution for easy access in a Vehicle,,for me.
I Do Have shirts that do not have pockets big enough to carry the LCP,,I do not wear them anymore .
I buy my shirts with this type of carry in mind.
An Ankle carry Draw in a vehicle will be much slower than drawing from a shirt pocket.

Personally I do NOT like any off body carry if there is any way it can be avoided.
Off body carry just allows more things that can go wrong to go wrong.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RJM

Or have one dedicated car gun and one dedicated pocket gun.

The Main issue with this is when I get out of the vehicle I only have one pistol when I could have two.
I do like the "New York Reload".

I do not like any off body carry if it is possible to avoid it.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
All solutions in self defense carry both positive and negative consideration. Certainly, I can agree that carrying a gun in pocket holster presents disadvantages when seated. In such seated positions an ankle carry may be a better choice. However, if I am standing at the cash register, pocket carry has advantages over ankle carry since my hand is already in my pocket and on my gun. Clearly, this now beats the ankle holster. Perhaps, we should be sure that anytime we are in a restaurant we are only at the cash register when it gets robbed.

Every fight, including gun fights, are exercises in problem solving first, and then illuminated by skill in executing a considered solution. As Clint Smith has been heard to say, 'you have the rest of your life to solve the problem, how long that is may be determined by the solution'. For me, illuminating the potential problems of a seated draw with a pocket carry is a red herring type of argument. I do not see that anyone has posited the pocket carry for "speed of draw". It has positive attributes when wearing light clothing and the ability to carry and conceal a mid sized firearm. In so doing, negative attributes must be considered and evaluated from this decision.

If we all considered that the most important thing we carry into a problem is our brain, then we can evaluate every problem for the most tactically sound response. My initial thoughts from starting this read was to say I would wear my Remington V3-tactical in a sling under my coat and then place it on my lap as I sat at the diner. I am just hoping that no one wants to discuss what wearing a knee length duster will look like in Texas summer heat.

Interesting discussion though,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've tried to like my Galco J-frame pocket holster, but while it does keep the gun oriented well in my pocket, it is pretty stiff and just the gun alone is more comfortable to carry. Then I bought a Galco ankle holster and wore the hide off the inside of my leg walking around town one day, so that wasn't the hot set up either. Today that little .38 J-frame just rides around on my belt in a cheapo thumb break nylon holster under an untucked shirt or front jean pocket when I want deeper concealment.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the f150 My draw from seated and belted in were pretty much unrestricted. In the Subaru, from the pocket, it just won't happen.

I bought an inexpensive IWB clip on and wear that on the seat belt

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.