Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I have about 25 acres in east texas. The place is overgrown with youpons, sweetgum, and various other trash trees. I'm leaning to a 47 horse Kubota,(L4701, hydrostat). I am also considering Mahindra, Kioti, and Massey Ferguson as lower cost options. Any suggestions as to which tractor I should buy, or which ones to stay away from. Thanks in advance

GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
before you buy any of them, have a good look at skidsteers

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever color you choose, just make sure you get one big enough.

Then go a little bigger. grin

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have that size Kubota. It’s fine, but wish I had gotten a 50 horse. Get 4 wheel drive and front end loader!! I’ve had mine 15 yrs, nary a problem with it.

Last edited by hanco; 08/13/19.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No expert here but nobody is unhappy with Kubotas
unless they want bigger

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
ONE WORD: ORANGE!!

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have been shopping for a tractor lately. I have done a good bit of homework. There is no brand I wouldn't consider. From what I have read, owners are generally happy with their tractors. Shop the dealer as much as the tractor. I won't likely end up with a Kubota, but only because the nearest dealer isn't very good. There is one more Kubota dealership I will check out before I write them off. Buyers are getting a good bit more tractor in Kioti than they do for the same money in Kubota. Certain LS models are essentially New Holland. Don't overlook Yanmar if you have a dealer nearby. They have been in the game for a long time. The source engines for other manufacturers. They also offer a 10 year power train warranty.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by aceman2101
I have about 25 acres in east texas. The place is overgrown with youpons, sweetgum, and various other trash trees. I'm leaning to a 47 horse Kubota,(L4701, hydrostat). I am also considering Mahindra, Kioti, and Massey Ferguson as lower cost options. Any suggestions as to which tractor I should buy, or which ones to stay away from. Thanks in advance

You'll find a tractor very handy to have around there!

But with the overgrown brush/trees... Remember it's a tractor and not a dozer.

You can take out good sized trees, especially yaupons, with enough horsepower and the right front end loader attachment, but 50hp is a bit light for that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Get a size or two larger than you think you need, FEL and 4x4 are indispensable in my view. Don’t underestimate the importance of mass/weight.....size matters for heavy chores and the lighter tractors are a step backwards. Used tractor prices around here are so silly that new is attractive. Also, the newer engines develop their torque at much higher rpm....which is annoying and takes more effort to manage. Keep in mind that a heavier older tractor without all the emissions crap may be a better way to go. We have 2, a 54hp MF and a 65 hp Landini with cab. For heavy work, the Landini is so much easier even though the MF has more than enough hp. Find a way to try out several different ones, then pick the brand with the best dealer support.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with those suggesting a little bigger than you think you need. on the topic of brand, I have owned both the MF and Kubota. In my experience they are both excellent machines. Over 10 years I put over 1200 hours on my MF without any issues other than replacing the battery once. I had the TLB (tractor, bucket, backhoe) model, 25 hp. I used the bucket for tons of stuff and I was surprised how often the backhoe came into use. The Kubota I have is a great with what I view as a slightly more powerful but less operator friendly bucket. Ultimately it comes down to personal choice.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For clearing land in TX, I'd be looking for something with a cab and air conditioning. It will be worth the money when you hit your first yellow jacket nest.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'll say don't buy bigger than you need because internet experts keep telling you to spend more money. More power is great, but less maneuverability, needing more storage space, and less money for implements that make it all useful are not. Buy the right size for what you need to do.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atomchaser
For clearing land in TX, I'd be looking for something with a cab and air conditioning. It will be worth the money when you hit your first yellow jacket nest.

Both my tractors have cabs.

I don't know the number of times I've had yellowjackets, or bees, and even an angry bumblebee hive hitting the glass.

All it took was one experience years ago with a large bee hive and a Bobcat to earn that advanced degree... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
I'll say don't buy bigger than you need because internet experts keep telling you to spend more money. More power is great, but less maneuverability, needing more storage space, and less money for implements that make it all useful are not. Buy the right size for what you need to do.

You talking about "internet experts" is PRICELESS! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought a 32 horse Massey with a loader seven years ago, you’d be surprised at what it can handle plus I can run it across the yard and not tear it up. There hasn’t been a tractor yet that can’t be broken if you misuse it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not this chit again. Buy a horse.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Toddly
Not this chit again. Buy a horse.

Chainsaws, Tractors, and Scopes!

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

You are full of BS. I thought I needed a 50 horse and my brother talked me into going bigger I ended up getting a 95 HP Kubota zbdvst times I wish it were bigger. It takes weight as well as power to complete some tasks easily and quickly. I bushhoged with my brothers 10 footer and it took me all day to cut my pasture and over a tank of fuel, so I bought a 15 foot batwing and now I can cut it in 5 1/2 hrs and only 3/4 tank.
Need weight to safely move heavy loads with the loader.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
[quote=LeroyBeans]I'll say don't buy bigger than you need because internet experts keep telling you to spend more money. More power is great, but less maneuverability, needing more storage space, and less money for implements that make it all useful are not. Buy the right size for what you need to do.

You are full of BS. I thought I needed a 50 horse and my brother talked me into going bigger I ended up getting a 95 HP Kubota zbdvst times I wish it were bigger. It takes weight as well as power to complete some tasks easily and quickly. I bushhoged with my brothers 10 footer and it took me all day to cut my pasture and over a tank of fuel, so I bought a 15 foot batwing and now I can cut it in 5 1/2 hrs and only 3/4 tank.
Need weight to safely move heavy loads with the loader.
[/
25 years ago when I was looking at gun safes I bought a 20 gunner, my buddy says you’re nuts I should Get a 50 I said I don’t need a 50 I only got 11 rifles in a few Hand guns now I got 3 50’s and 1 20 and they’re all full :-) Go bigger

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
which tractor to buy=white people problems

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 66 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,632
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.