Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
I'll say don't buy bigger than you need because internet experts keep telling you to spend more money. More power is great, but less maneuverability, needing more storage space, and less money for implements that make it all useful are not. Buy the right size for what you need to do.

You talking about "internet experts" is PRICELESS! laugh

laugh laugh laugh

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've graduated to an internet expert? How cool is that?

Black Cows Matter!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The one you can pay cash for

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aceman2101
I have about 25 acres in east texas. The place is overgrown with youpons, sweetgum, and various other trash trees. I'm leaning to a 47 horse Kubota,(L4701, hydrostat). I am also considering Mahindra, Kioti, and Massey Ferguson as lower cost options. Any suggestions as to which tractor I should buy, or which ones to stay away from. Thanks in advance

First thing to consider is how you plan on getting rid of these trees. If you're going to cut them with a saw and either drag them off, or push them up into a pile to be burned, then a 47HP Kubota is big enough. Now, if you're planning on pushing them up, or pulling them up, a 47HP tractor is probably not enough, depending of course on the size of the trees.

I have a 45HP New Holland, with FWD, and although it will do a lot, there is a lot that it won't do, partly because it's not heavy enough, and partly because it's not enough HP there. I also have a 80HP NH, and the difference between the two tractors is a lot, mostly because of the size and weight, because the weight is what helps you do most of the stuff you want a tractor to do.

Of the 4 brands you mentioned, the Kubota is no doubt the cream of the crop. You can't go wrong with one, would be my advice. Of the three remaining ones, I'd put Mahindra and Massey next, and Kioti last.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would base my buying decision on the best dealer support. I went with a 45 hp Kioti due to its much lower price than a comparable Kubota. Mahindra did not have any tractors in the 45 hp range with a hyda trans.
My local dealers customer support has been off the chart good so far.

Make sure you get a FEL and 4 wheel drive and have the tires filled.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have about 25 acres in east texas. The place is overgrown with youpons, sweetgum, and various other trash trees. I'm leaning to a 47 horse Kubota,(L4701, hydrostat). I am also considering Mahindra, Kioti, and Massey Ferguson as lower cost options. Any suggestions as to which tractor I should buy, or which ones to stay away from. Thanks in advance
Like Vapodog said, look at Skidsteers before making your decision. There are a lot of cool tree removal tools that can be mounted on Skidsteers. Same with tractor-loaders but many of them seem to have been designed for skid steers. You may even want to hit a farm show to see some of this stuff demonstrated before making a decision. Watch some YouTube's of other people doing similar things to what you want to do and get an idea of the machinery they are using and its capability. You might be able to get a serviceable skid steer AND a tractor and loader used for what a new tractor would cost.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
I'll say don't buy bigger than you need because internet experts keep telling you to spend more money. More power is great, but less maneuverability, needing more storage space, and less money for implements that make it all useful are not. Buy the right size for what you need to do.

You talking about "internet experts" is PRICELESS! laugh

Biting my tongue here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Like Vapodog said, look at Skidsteers before making your decision. There are a lot of cool tree removal tools that can be mounted on Skidsteers. Same with tractor-loaders but many of them seem to have been designed for skid steers. You may even want to hit a farm show to see some of this stuff demonstrated before making a decision. Watch some YouTube's of other people doing similar things to what you want to do and get an idea of the machinery they are using and its capability. You might be able to get a serviceable skid steer AND a tractor and loader used for what a new tractor would cost.

A skid steer will tear the hell out of everything it’s driven on. A skidsteer will not outlift a big tractor and will not handle rear implements. A skidsteer is tippy! Not side to side but back to front tippy. An R series Deere tractor is much more tractor than orange or red. But it’s expensive. Deere makes other lines like the E series to compete price wise. Buy an R if you can afford it. .....and put a skid steer attachment on the front loader.

Todd the internet expert!

Last edited by Toddly; 08/13/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We bought a 10 year old, low hours, Kubota M6040 (with cab) a few years ago......very happy with that purchase! Kubota’s are pretty darn good tractors! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’d buy American made, if it’s an option.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by atomchaser
For clearing land in TX, I'd be looking for something with a cab and air conditioning. It will be worth the money when you hit your first yellow jacket nest.

Found one last week with my cabless Kioti........
Tweren't pretty after all said and done and a half mile jog/walk back to house there were 9 sting spots.

Had no idea what shape I left the tractor in when I bailed with about 20 of the sonsabitches buzzing my face as I never looked back at a dead run for about 100 yards.

They still itch like hell a week later.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For clearing land in TX, I'd be looking for something with a cab and air conditioning. It will be worth the money when you hit your first yellow jacket nest.

I got into a nest of Bumblebees moving year old round bales last month and switched tractors to the one with a cab!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Good luck. whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Good luck. whistle

Hey, Kioti's are assembled in N.C.[by messicans I'm sure]. wink

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford

Good luck. whistle

Hey, Kioti's are assembled in N.C.[by messicans I'm sure]. wink

My Mahindra was assembled in Houston, TX. The loader on it was fabricated there.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Hasn't been an American built small tractor in decades.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

I got into a nest of Bumblebees moving year old round bales last month and switched tractors to the one with a cab!

Yellow jackets force me also into a cab! Those little bastards go right for the eyes.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

yes.....my CK 35 Kioti again....2010....I believe built in S Korea

In my mere 9 years of owning it has been a great machine..412 hrs now

I opted for the manual shuttle transmission....Granted.......

I don't use it like others here...but its ready to go when I need it

IIRC it was $17K with FEL and couple of drag impliments

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Hire somebody with a dozer to clean up the trash trees then pick the tractor you need to maintain it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Hire somebody with a dozer to clean up the trash trees then pick the tractor you need to maintain it.

That's good advice. If the trees are of any size, a small tractor isn't the right tool. A dozer or a track loader with a forestry head will make short work of it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 219DW, 007FJ, 35, 13 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,870
Posts18,478,702
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.