Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
The average non gun person tells gun people things like guns are dangerous and are more likely to get used against you than against the bad guy. LIE
They average non gun person tells gun people that guns are not capable about being used against a bear, and that bear spray is FAR more effective. Even, Fish and Game biologists, will tell you the same thing. LIE

This is well worth the read: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/ha...ack-73-cases-96-effective/#axzz5wdJB1jXk

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ll take a gun over bear spray any ole day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/15/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd rather have a handgun than nothing at all, bear spray is only good for seasoning.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That was the mythology for the longest time, i.e., no handgun has ever been used effectively against a grizzly bear. Effective defense grizzlies starts with centerfire rifle calibers, we were always told.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Damn straight.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That was the mythology for the longest time, i.e., no handgun has ever been used effectively against a grizzly bear. Effective defense grizzlies starts with centerfire rifle calibers, we were always told.

Just another LIE focused on disarming citizens.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Great post. Thanks.

I felt pistols would usually be effective, just not this usually. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That's because the average pistol packer can't shoot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's because it does but if all you have is a handgun then you run what you brung.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Damn straight.
In spades!!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know (of) a guy...
9mm...
Alaskan Bear...

It worked.

Ammo,
Shooter,
Placement.
Luck.

9mm or 505 Gibbs or spray,
There is a requirement for all those factors.

Life Is dangerous,
Nothing is certain,

Except,

No one gets out alive.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
An Alaskan guide once told me, "If you are going to use a pistol against a grizzly, file the front sight off of it. That way it won't hurt as much when he shoves it up your ass."

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you read through all of it the bigger the mote effective....if a bear was charging me I would prefer to have a centerfire as most would but sometimes it's just not practical...hard to fly fish with a rifle over your shoulder...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glock 40 10 mm 15 rounds.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
An Alaskan guide once told me, "If you are going to use a pistol against a grizzly, file the front sight off of it. That way it won't hurt as much when he shoves it up your ass."

So oooolldd, that's no longer funny. smile Perhaps it was when first told 100 years ago. Much like the "all ya gotta do is shoot your pard in the knee and outrun him".

No offense intended. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only bear spray I carry is .44 and .454 , there is only one thing that will stop a bear in a real charge and it's not pepper spray.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
That's because it does but if all you have is a handgun then you run what you brung.

Yup. Id rather have almost any rifle over a handgun when the fecal pellets hit the rotary blades. That said, everything is a situation and trade-offs are made based on what one thinks will work best.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First time I seen Fred Bear kill a Grizzly with a bow and arrow on the American Sportsman I figured a modern high powered handgun could do the job.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have had two up close and personal encounters at bad breath range with black bears. Both were resolved peacefully without me having to kill the bear.
one encounter was in a very heavy oak thicket, i did have a rifle, but not much ability to use it due to the thicket.
two, coming down a mt trail with my wife and two dogs, bear was coughing in the brush about fifteen feet from us, dogs had the hair on their backs standing straight up. he didn't charge and i reconsidered the 9mm i had been packing.
so....... that led to a marlin lever 45. 70, and various big bore revolvers and a 10mm.
i feel a lot better. One thing to see a black bear at a distance, another at just across the room.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
which leads to a little story. Had a grandson, the dog, and me up on a point in north central arizona, i.e. bear country. Gave my city boy grandson a glock when we left town, i told him to carry it. He didn't have a belt, so he put it in the glove compartment. On the point he took off with the dog into some heavy cedar, coming back saying something had really been pooping down there. I said did it kind of loook like a baby ruth with berries in it? Well yes, how did you know.
i said i am going to take a look, yep, bear scat. There was a volcanic ridge right behind where we were, bear probably denning in their, plenty of food, and a stock tank about a 100yards down. I told grandson he was lucky as bear had probably been watching him. But i said no big deal. He said how can you say that. Well, i was armed at the truck, you should have been but were not, my dog can out run you so the bear would be busy with you dog okay, I love that dog, and i have four other grandsons, so wouldn't like it, but loosing one i still have four others.
He kind of looked at me funny, but i was making a point.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,492 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.