-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most reenactors ain’t actually shooters, much less hunters, but I gotta say there is something intrinsically relaxing about camping out pre-1840 style.

Only reservation I have is the limits of the old weaponry need to be kept in mind to minimize the chances of non-lethal hits on game.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
There's nothing wrong with people being romantics about shooting and using old cartridges, black powder, etc.

Problems sometimes break out when those romantics are uninformed or lie about the capability of those weapons compared to modern equipment.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 05/06/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is exactly why I will never own a 6.5 Creedmoor...

Words right out of my mouth and excellent, well-reasoned post, Pugs...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Enjoying the outdoors and lack of civilization is the common bond. I enjoy it more when dry and warm and like carrying gear that works under the most adverse conditions. The only items I now use that I was using 10 years ago are a compass and a knife. As I deteriorate I'll take every advantage that I can find.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
There's nothing wrong with people being romantics about shooting and using old cartridges, black powder, etc.

Problems sometimes break out when those romantics are uninformed or lie about the capability of those weapons compared to modern equipment.

Yeah, I know. People saying how the 6.5 Creemoor is a better elk cartridge than a 300 (anything) gets kinda old...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am definitely not a technology guy, the phone is a struggle.
Myself, I am pretty traditional and unless something is practicle, I don't go for it.
Some look at me as a relic, no camo, digital stuff in the bush and never go outside without a felt hat or straw hat, jeans or wool pants, long sleeve shirt etc.
I am usually horseback out there, have some form of leather leggings, neckerchief and leather gloves.
I prefer leverguns not because of romance but because they work better for me , but use some more modern leverguns and chamberings.
I honour my families history and stick to traditional ways, and leather bags etc help keep some of them working for a living. Don't import any of this stuff from China and Mexican quality is less than I want.
Standing in a spot on the mountain where my Great Grandad did, hunting the same basin, the same way ,tugs at my heart.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Don Currie, who is a Level III Sporting Clays instructor and head coach of the National Sporting Clays Association, says there is no disadvantage using a side by side vs. an over/under. That's because the right way to shoot is to mount from a low gun position, so you can see the bird, and not occlude the bird with the barrels anyway. That said, he usually shoots an O/U, maybe because he gets one free and free shells. Also his side by side is choked full and full with no tubes. But he won the side by side championship with his Fausti.

My definition of "rifle" includes something with a walnut stock and blued metal, though I took a plastic stocked stainless barrel rifle to Alaska, where it seems to rain for three hours every three hours.

I do not appreciate the "tacticool" trend. I don't think AR15s are very good for hunting because of all the sharp pointy things sticking out all over, even though they're fun to shoot and useful for protection.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

Yeah, I know. People saying how the 6.5 Creemoor is a better elk cartridge than a 300 (anything) gets kinda old...

Let me know when the .308s have a premium bonded bullet that exceeds the BC and SD of the .264 160gr protected point Weldcore. And then let's see how fast they can drive it.

Until you can show me such a bullet, the .308s are just inferior for elk and that's all there is to it laugh

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 05/07/19.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Llame Bob. I wish I were as much a genius as you. You will not get me to be nostalgic about the Crapmore. Hunt with it if you wish, but Shrap and the rest of us who like to shoot old guns will drop things on our hunts with alacrity using all lead bullets much of the time. And we won't waste all that modern powder doing it. Try a Savage 99 in 303 or 300 Savage make about ten kills,and then tell me what you think. Excuse me while I load for my 9X56 Mannlicher. Be Well. Rusty

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I was expecting a mixture of coitus and poison ivy when I opened this thread.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nothing wrong with preferring "old school."

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's nothing wrong with O/U shotguns if your eyes are so arranged!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pugs

Pat Powell pointed in a recent thread, quit accurately, that no serious clay shooter would use a side by side shotgun and while I do use an over and under for clays (a 30 year old Beretta 682), I’d much rather carry a two trigger side by side in the field even though it likely hurts my bird to shell ratio.

I do make compromises, good scopes to deal with middle aged eyes, an ultra-light vice the fly rod when fishing from the kayak, modern bullets and certainly modern dry/light clothing but I find when thinking about the best of times in the outdoors it seems to be something I prefer to look backwards instead of forward. Perhaps too much reading of Ruark, Buckingham and Traver and Sparse Grey Hackle as an impressionable youth?

How about you? (and note when I say "romantic notions, it doesn't mean the .223AI grin)

OK first: Pat...no serious clay shooter would ever use a beat to hell Rem 870 express with a bent barrel....( granted no one can outshoot him with that gun...but still.....) The ONLY proper shotgun to shoot at anything outdoors has two barrels, side by side, and two triggers.

Second I do shoot a .223AI

But if big game is afoot...I use the .275 Rigby......hows that? laugh

Last edited by ingwe; 08/17/19.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The closest I can afford to being romantic in the outdoors is sleeping on the ground. But I love your tastes in the finer things.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Head games....

I need a F-1 car like a hole in the head, but without it, I’d be driving a Model A.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like old guns, but have a couple plastic stock rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I always think about Bell when hunting with my 7x57

Imagining a huge bull tusker charging out of the TX brush............................. I could imagine that too wielding a 7x57................. laugh

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh romance. Color me a victim of my imagination.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I think that as we get older, we long for the simpler days of our youth. Therefore, we like to use the type of equipment that we used in that period.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Recently watched a man with a CSMC side-by-side in 16 ga. run a clays course. He seldom missed. Seemed like a serious enough fellow.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A two trigger SXS improves my bird to shell ratio. Might lower the final count of bag at end of day tho.

Jim - Me too. I see "tactical" and go blind.... read/look no farther.

Was in Anchorage Cabelas a week or so ago on way to backpack caribou hunting among the ATV's. Haven't been in there in a year or so, but needed a couple sets of slings and sling mounts and a scope cover. (I have them, somewhere- disappeared during family room renovation- probably in the bottom of a box of wife's stuff....) I bought one sling swivel set and re-rigged an old military leather sling for the wife to carry the .260 Rem 725 with broken extractor. Hey, it took 2 bulls as a single shot! smile Gotta get that replacement extractor in before moose season!

What a bunch of crap in Cabelas. They had a bunch of military/tactical/combat slings and some other POS stuff. No scope covers worth spit. I ended up hand carrying the 10.3 pound (ithout ammo or sling - I weighed it after!) M98. And here I thought it was just "pushing 10# fully loaded and slung".. It does put 'em into one inch at 300 yards tho.

There is more to this , but not here... Point being Cabelas has gone to hell in their stores. Have to lookonline to see if they still carry the sling and scope covers I want. .

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (1badf350, 16gage, 1moredeer, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,070 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,961
Posts18,519,472
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.