Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I hesitate to even bring this up, but I have been trying to think of a way to stop young, immature, irrational and emotional people from committing these horrible and disgusting events, while protecting our right to bear arms. It has to be effective or it would just limit rights for all responsible and lawful gun owners and do nothing to fix the problem.

In the vast majority of multiple victim shootings the perp was under 28 years old and used a semi-auto rifle.

This firearm has been made the focus of new opposition to the 2nd. It is certainly possible to see reinstatement to another ban on semi-auto rifles at some point in the future, especially if the left gains full power.

In an effort to put a complete ban out of reach of the anti's, and still reduce these shootings, I have a proposal. Hear me out.

Pass legislation that bans possession of only semi-auto rifles by anyone until they reach the age of 28. Exceptions for any military or law enforcement would be written in. A full on background check on mental health would be conducted on purchasers ages 28 and 29 and thereafter revert to standard checks as they are today. Also, a key caveat would make this law unassailable for 50 years from institution, thus ensuring it's lawful ownership by the vast majority into the future.

My thought is it would insure the firearm is protected and immature humans would still be able to own the firearm in their future.

Go ahead and poke holes in the thought. I have concerns on any gun legislation, but the reality is if the left gets power, anything could happen.

Your thoughts?

GB4

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Las Vegas- - - -nuff said.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I propose that any laws affecting the 2A should be first applied to the 1st amendment as a trial run. Let's see how that works first.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Diesel
I hesitate to even bring this up, but I have been trying to think of a way to stop young, immature, irrational and emotional people from committing these horrible and disgusting events, while protecting our right to bear arms. It has to be effective or it would just limit rights for all responsible and lawful gun owners and do nothing to fix the problem.

In the vast majority of multiple victim shootings the perp was under 28 years old and used a semi-auto rifle.

This firearm has been made the focus of new opposition to the 2nd. It is certainly possible to see reinstatement to another ban on semi-auto rifles at some point in the future, especially if the left gains full power.

In an effort to put a complete ban out of reach of the anti's, and still reduce these shootings, I have a proposal. Hear me out.

Pass legislation that bans possession of only semi-auto rifles by anyone until they reach the age of 28. Exceptions for any military or law enforcement would be written in. A full on background check on mental health would be conducted on purchasers ages 28 and 29 and thereafter revert to standard checks as they are today. Also, a key caveat would make this law unassailable for 50 years from institution, thus ensuring it's lawful ownership by the vast majority into the future.

My thought is it would insure the firearm is protected and immature humans would still be able to own the firearm in their future.

Go ahead and poke holes in the thought. I have concerns on any gun legislation, but the reality is if the left gets power, anything could happen.

Your thoughts?

"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

That phrase should poke plenty of holes in your ridiculous thought.

Sterilizing anyone who votes democrat would nearly eradicate the problem in one or two generations with no need for new laws.

Perhaps you'd feel more comfortable at the democraticunderground forum from whence you came.

Last edited by gregintenn; 08/19/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A full on background check on mental health would be conducted on purchasers ages 28 and 29

Please tell me how that would be accomplished.

MM

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
A full on background check on mental health would be conducted on purchasers ages 28 and 29

MM

By a flaming liberal psych doctor who thinks all gun owners are nuts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go Fahq yourself. You better start recognizing the Enemy as the Enemy and there is a battlefield headed our way.

And BTW, I'm not convinced you're not in the enemy camp.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Are you a Russian bot? WTF is legistration?

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well that went well.

I kinda figured that it would bring this kinda response. Not really surprising .

It was an honest attempt to think preemptively.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well that went well.

I kinda figured that it would bring this kinda response. Not really surprising .

If you have a cake and a politicians wants half of it, you don't give him a quarter of it and walk away proud of your negotiating skills. You tell him go go pee up a rope.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well that went well.

Capitulation isn't thinking preemptively.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good Grief!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are no restrictions on any other right so long as the free exercise thereof does not harm another person, why should the right to defend ones self have limits? The right to vote is even more important and impactful than the right to self defense, so following your logic, people that are too immature to know when their life is endangered should also be restricted from voting until they can 'prove' their fitness to cast an informed vote. The problem lies in not enforcing the existing laws, not in the lack of laws. It is already illegal for person adjudicated (due process) incompetent to possess a firearm. Remember the Texas church shooter that was stopped by an armed neighbor who chased him down? The STATE failed to report his dishonorable discharge (felony), the STATE failed to report his mental condition to the ATF, and the STATE failed to follow it's own rules and duties to execute the existing enforcement mechanisms that they were obligated to do. Bugs the crap out of me when a person fails to follow procedure and the response from those in charge feel the need to implement even more procedures. It's not the fault of the procedure, it's the fault of the person who didn't follow it.
So, if a deranged dude can't get a semi-auto, he could just get a semi-auto or even a pump shotgun. Pretty sure you can do quite a bit of damage even with a pump shotgun or lever action 30-30. The problem with technology is there is no way to put the genie back in the bottle. 150 years ago, no one could figure out a lightbulb. Now pretty much any competent craftsman could make on if he really needed to. Same with firearms.
Instead of focusing on the symptom, which is what a mass shooting is, we should focus on the cause. The lack of accountability, lack of empathy, and increasing focus on the importance of "me". When the kid finds out the world does not revolve around them, they lack the moral foundation to cope.

If you agree to a background check for voting, or for worshiping, or for speaking, or before you are allowed access to legal representation, or before you are allowed access to public records, or before you are allowed a jury trial, I may entertain your idea for increased restrictions on the 2nd

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Diesel;
Good evening to you sir, I trust all is well with you and yours tonight.

If I may, I'll answer this from the perspective of a Canuck and will try to articulate as briefly as possible what legislation and law we're bound by.

As many of you may know, there is no right to possess firearms in Canada, it's considered by the Supreme Court to be a privilege. Thanks to Alberta, when the constitution was repatriated here, we have no right to private property actually - but....

In order to possess any firearm, we must be 18 and take a one day course, which we must pass, then submit to a background check which includes interviews of references we provide. If we've changed jobs, been to a doctor about mental illness, had a marital or relationship change it can cancel it all then and there. If it doesn't, we then we wait anywhere up to 6 months to get what's known as a PAL - Possession Acquisition Licence.

Oh, if we want to own restricted class firearms - which is either handguns or AR/AK/FAL type long arms, then it's a 2 day course with the same background check and waiting period.

From what I'm given to understand the mere fact that I've got what's known as an RPAL - Restricted Possession Acquisition Licence - means that the central registry folks check on my status at least weekly - that is that I've not been seen by a doctor for mental issues, had a divorce, been fired - you get the idea.

Our restricted class firearms are all registered and their use highly - well restricted - we can only shoot them at approved ranges, must transport them with a lock on them and in a locked container.

Anyway sir, with ALL THOSE PREEMPTIVE measures, we still have folks shooting each other - though it appears that most of the miscreants do not ever go through legal channels to obtain their firearms for nefarious purposes.

The last mass shooter in Toronto brought his illegal handgun up from Michigan - I believe he had a ban from possession of firearms actually and of course it did absolutely no good whatsoever.

The issue up here is not a tool issue - it's a people issue - but no current politicians have the required spinal anatomy to even mention that little wrinkle.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the issue south of the medicine line as well, but again as a foreigner I'd not want to guess or comment on what might work for you good neighbors. Simply sir, I relate what doesn't work up here.

All the best to you as we head into the fall hunting season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m sure if you willingly give up some rights that they will stop trying to kill the 2A. 🙄

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Are you a Russian bot? WTF is legistration?

The thing that happens before confiscration.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Then castration

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Article in local paper about the local chapter of Moms Demand Action and the initial rally this weekend. Spearheaded by none other than my kids’ pediatrician. We are doctor shopping now. The same ones rallying for gun control are the ones determining mental competence at 28?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=DieselIn the vast majority of multiple victim shootings the perp was under 28 years old and used a semi-auto rifle.[/quote]

Simple........Ban Millennials!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

I see mental health issues as the core problem with these kids going ballistic. Red flag laws will be worse as everyone could be subject to any vindictive person you may have crossed in the past. Mental issues would only come into play from formal input from a licensed doctor. That young people today seem to mature at a later age could add to the issue we did not have 30 years ago

I don't have a detailed strategy, just thinking about the problem and some way to reduce the number of incidents. The reason to float any idea is to hear others input

This topic brings out the long knives when anyone even tries to have a thought put forward.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (3dtestify, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 44automag, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,216 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,132
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.