Diesel;
Good evening to you sir, I trust all is well with you and yours tonight.

If I may, I'll answer this from the perspective of a Canuck and will try to articulate as briefly as possible what legislation and law we're bound by.

As many of you may know, there is no right to possess firearms in Canada, it's considered by the Supreme Court to be a privilege. Thanks to Alberta, when the constitution was repatriated here, we have no right to private property actually - but....

In order to possess any firearm, we must be 18 and take a one day course, which we must pass, then submit to a background check which includes interviews of references we provide. If we've changed jobs, been to a doctor about mental illness, had a marital or relationship change it can cancel it all then and there. If it doesn't, we then we wait anywhere up to 6 months to get what's known as a PAL - Possession Acquisition Licence.

Oh, if we want to own restricted class firearms - which is either handguns or AR/AK/FAL type long arms, then it's a 2 day course with the same background check and waiting period.

From what I'm given to understand the mere fact that I've got what's known as an RPAL - Restricted Possession Acquisition Licence - means that the central registry folks check on my status at least weekly - that is that I've not been seen by a doctor for mental issues, had a divorce, been fired - you get the idea.

Our restricted class firearms are all registered and their use highly - well restricted - we can only shoot them at approved ranges, must transport them with a lock on them and in a locked container.

Anyway sir, with ALL THOSE PREEMPTIVE measures, we still have folks shooting each other - though it appears that most of the miscreants do not ever go through legal channels to obtain their firearms for nefarious purposes.

The last mass shooter in Toronto brought his illegal handgun up from Michigan - I believe he had a ban from possession of firearms actually and of course it did absolutely no good whatsoever.

The issue up here is not a tool issue - it's a people issue - but no current politicians have the required spinal anatomy to even mention that little wrinkle.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the issue south of the medicine line as well, but again as a foreigner I'd not want to guess or comment on what might work for you good neighbors. Simply sir, I relate what doesn't work up here.

All the best to you as we head into the fall hunting season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"