Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cra1948
Whenever I'm driving and my blood pressure spikes, there's almost always a Subaru or some kind of mini-van involved.

Is it your minivan? Are you the problem?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin
Originally Posted by las

But then, she hates Subaru drivers anyway.

I'm a Subaru driver... a pearl white Outback, 4 cylinder, tan beige leather interior. Just needs a rainbow colored soccer ball magnet to be complete.
That said, I hate Subaru drivers, they HAVE to be the moral imperative "keepers of the speed" on the small highways we have around here. Bastards!

I drive my best to get around every cluster of idiots that clump together and stay away from said "clusters", I believe sheeple like to drive like that, in a herd, but that's where stupid stuff happens.

Okay, off to get my manicure now...

I owned a Subaru back in the 80's, before Subaru drivers became a defined thing. I just bought a Crosstrek for a daily driver but not until I realized that VW's are what the pretentious bastards are driving now.

The only thing missing on my car is a coexist sticker:
[Linked Image]

...and anyone who chooses to interfere with the flow of traffic irritates me.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Laughing. smile

So commies get participation trophy driver's licenses in AK?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We used to spend a few weeks in Oregon every year. I'd get so frustrated with Subaru drivers. They'd go about 45 in a 65 until a passing lane came up and then they'd floor it and try to keep you from passing. I always told my wife it was just another liberal trying to control us.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by johnw
I got a buddy who seems to always be looking for motive or purpose in what other guys drive. Funny thing is that he drives what he drives to project an image. Constantly thinking out loud about what others think of him or what others are thinking as they drive down the road.

It's a funny thing. I've called him on it and he knows it's true. Admits it on his better days.

Me? I see others on the road. Don't (mostly) know them and don't care what they think. About anything...

I commute 60+ miles one way to work. In a Subaru. 45 miles or so on the interstate. Speed limit is 70, and I mostly set the cruise there, get in the right lane, and let everyone pass me. Til I come up to a truck that has a GPS watcher that limits them to 65. Then I pass in the left lane and if things are busy there might be from 3-5 vehicles crowding behind me for the time it takes me to pass.
Don't care what they think either.

I get the rep that Subaru and Prius drivers have. It just doesn't fit the Subaru and Prius drivers where I live.

And there's also this point;

About half way to work there is a guy I work with who passes me on a regular basis. He's usually out of sight in a few minutes on fairly straight level roads.
30 miles later I'm usually a couple of cars behind him in the turn lane for our facility.

What did he do, sit down and have breakfast somewhere?

It's a straight up math thing. Most aren't going to go fast enough to make any real time difference in a 30 mile drive. The difference between 70 mph and 100 mph at the 30 mile mark is around 8 minutes.
75mph vs 70 saves a minute and a half.
80 mph might save you 3 minutes, or cost you 15 minutes and a couple of bills.

But everybody knows this stuff. Many drive based on how they "feel".

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And to save that 3 minutes at 80mph there is no braking for cops in the median. No braking for curves, exit ramps, entrance ramps, or slow passing bastards like me...

As I said, I'm usually a couple of cars behind him in the turn lane at work...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My pard drives an older beater Subaru, but he ain’t a “Subaru driver”.
😉

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
😉

Don't guess I am either.

The buddy mentioned above drives either a Tundra or a Wrangler. He's had the Wrangler since 2010 or so, and the Tundra since 2013.
I've had the Subaru since February and it's got more off road miles than both of his...

As mentioned, he and a lot of others drive to project an image.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
We had a 4 cyl Legacy wagon for about ten years. It averaged three miles a day off road. It saw 85 mph on the freeway every night and morning. When I came home from work, it often carried a couple five gallon cans of gas or diesel in the back. Or 50 lb salt blocks, or sometimes 500 lbs of bagged pig feed or grain for horses and cows.

I wonder if I qualify as the "typical Subaru driver".

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
😉

Don't guess I am either.

The buddy mentioned above drives either a Tundra or a Wrangler. He's had the Wrangler since 2010 or so, and the Tundra since 2013.
I've had the Subaru since February and it's got more off road miles than both of his...

Agreed.

My primary is a paint-peeling, '95 Taco. The image I try to project is I don't give a chit what other people think.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I got a buddy who seems to always be looking for motive or purpose in what other guys drive. Funny thing is that he drives what he drives to project an image. Constantly thinking out loud about what others think of him or what others are thinking as they drive down the road.

It's a funny thing. I've called him on it and he knows it's true. Admits it on his better days.

Me? I see others on the road. Don't (mostly) know them and don't care what they think. About anything...

I commute 60+ miles one way to work. In a Subaru. 45 miles or so on the interstate. Speed limit is 70, and I mostly set the cruise there, get in the right lane, and let everyone pass me. Til I come up to a truck that has a GPS watcher that limits them to 65. Then I pass in the left lane and if things are busy there might be from 3-5 vehicles crowding behind me for the time it takes me to pass.
Don't care what they think either.

I get the rep that Subaru and Prius drivers have. It just doesn't fit the Subaru and Prius drivers where I live.

And there's also this point;

About half way to work there is a guy I work with who passes me on a regular basis. He's usually out of sight in a few minutes on fairly straight level roads.
30 miles later I'm usually a couple of cars behind him in the turn lane for our facility.

What did he do, sit down and have breakfast somewhere?

Nope, simple math, you can't buy much time in short distances.... BTDT. If a few minutes is an issue then you can try it, but generally these days I drive much less aggressively and just leave 5 minutes early.

NOW on LONG trips, speed makes up time, thats a given. But for most commutes, an hour or less, you simply are not going to gain much. Well unless you are doing 120 passing folks doing 60...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
On a long trip velocity does make a difference.

But to even attempt to average 75 on most interstates is frustrating. Even in South Dakota the idiots will beat you down...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I generally run 60 on the two lanes here. Curves, hills and all. Could run faster, but no need, and the limit is 55. And I pass a LOT of people. If I catch you, I pass you. Mainly because the truck likes 60 a lot better than 55. Less shifts for little hills and the like. Most folks will run 55 to a bit over, but they hit the brakes at every curve, let velocity drop going up hills, ride the brakes down hills, and slow down to gawk at things or answer their phone. And I rarely see them behind me when we get to town. I am gaining more than one would think. Dad rode with me a couple times, then he shows up at the house talking about how 60 mph makes a quicker trip if you can do it. Also, in town, the speed limit is 35. Most run that or below. If you run 37 to 39 or so, you can hit all the lights on the main drag green. It is obvious that most people never learn this.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
We used to spend a few weeks in Oregon every year. I'd get so frustrated with Subaru drivers. They'd go about 45 in a 65 until a passing lane came up and then they'd floor it and try to keep you from passing. I always told my wife it was just another liberal trying to control us.

Bb

These are the bassturds that get under my skin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
...but it sure was fun!

On way to Anchorage yesterday, came up behind a huge out of state motor home, towing, of all things , a big Humvee. (Alaska, 1948???) going 50-55 in a 65 zone. No problem, passing lanes ahead.

Behind that rig was an old, grey Subaru, with grey-haired, pony-tailed, wire-rimmed-glasses driver. Then a Blue something sedan, then me in my Ram 3500 with overhead camper.

Grey effer, on coming to a passing lane section, would pull up in the left lane just short of the left rear of the road whale and hang there, preventing us faster drivers from passing.

Third time the Subaru SOB did it, I wasn't having it, and accelerated hard (love that Cummins!), despite a double yellow, but it was a sufficient straightaway with no oncoming. Blue had the same idea and crossed the double yellow on the left just in front of me as I came up, so I went right, into the right lane the road whale was in. We simultaneously blew the doors off that Subaru, Blue slightly ahead of me!

Hard behind the roadwhale I cut that miserable POS off with a pickup length to spare, as Blue cut back in front of me, then into lthe right hand lane in front of the motor home. I had speed up, and passed Blue also, and as I went by he gave me a big grin and thumbs up.

Had we planned it, it couldn't have gone any smoother, Blue and me.

Hell, we weren't even mad. Or I wasn't, anyway.

That old Hippie didn't even give us the courtesy of the finger, probably too busy checking his Depends. Ok- he might have been younger than me....

My wife, who always gives me chit about my driving (then does the same herself, or faster), just looked at me and said "Served him right."

I'm bad... I know it...

The only thing worse than a Subaru is a Dodge Mini van. If it's got a handicap plate on it you are guaranteed to be doing 5 to 10 under the speed limit and they will not get out of the passing lane. Don't get me started on folks who will not use their cruise control and can't find one speed to go in.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 08/23/19.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
😉

Don't guess I am either.

Agreed.

My primary is a paint-peeling, '95 Taco. The image I try to project is I don't give a chit what other people think.

Heck. Guys - Mike even rode in (and named my '90 3500 Chev "Jumper" )- a little problem with worn king pins and tires..

Guaranteed he doesn't care what he rides in.....

I'm always surprised at the number of people who don't use cruise control when they could, and their speed wobbles up and down by 5-10 miles per hour. Which means I have to come out of cruise until I can pass.

My FIL claims he gets better milage if he doesn't use cruise. I suspect this is based on a one-of test in eastern Montana where he lives, and involved strong head and tail winds, and high speed (no speed limit at the time). smile

Last edited by las; 08/23/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cra1948
Whenever I'm driving and my blood pressure spikes, there's almost always a Subaru or some kind of mini-van involved.

Is it your minivan? Are you the problem?

Don't have a mini-van, never have, never will. Just not my kind of vehicle. I would get a Dodge Ram p/u before I'd get a mini-van of any kind.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Around Tennessee they're known as "Les-Baru"- - - -most of the gals who bat for the other team drive them!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
...but it sure was fun!

On way to Anchorage yesterday, came up behind a huge out of state motor home, towing, of all things , a big Humvee. (Alaska, 1948???) going 50-55 in a 65 zone. No problem, passing lanes ahead.

Behind that rig was an old, grey Subaru, with grey-haired, pony-tailed, wire-rimmed-glasses driver. Then a Blue something sedan, then me in my Ram 3500 with overhead camper.

Grey effer, on coming to a passing lane section, would pull up in the left lane just short of the left rear of the road whale and hang there, preventing us faster drivers from passing.

Third time the Subaru SOB did it, I wasn't having it, and accelerated hard (love that Cummins!), despite a double yellow, but it was a sufficient straightaway with no oncoming. Blue had the same idea and crossed the double yellow on the left just in front of me as I came up, so I went right, into the right lane the road whale was in. We simultaneously blew the doors off that Subaru, Blue slightly ahead of me!

Hard behind the roadwhale I cut that miserable POS off with a pickup length to spare, as Blue cut back in front of me, then into lthe right hand lane in front of the motor home. I had speed up, and passed Blue also, and as I went by he gave me a big grin and thumbs up.

Had we planned it, it couldn't have gone any smoother, Blue and me.

Hell, we weren't even mad. Or I wasn't, anyway.

That old Hippie didn't even give us the courtesy of the finger, probably too busy checking his Depends. Ok- he might have been younger than me....

My wife, who always gives me chit about my driving (then does the same herself, or faster), just looked at me and said "Served him right."

I'm bad... I know it...

You got 8 big balls under the hood, sometimes you just have to use them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6amRqbEj4rs

Last edited by Armednfree; 08/24/19.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
😉

Don't guess I am either.

Going solely of your posts on this thread, you sound exactly like the kind of subaru driver that other posters are lamenting. Self righteousness and all lol.

MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 47 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.