Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Banning the breed instead of demanding accountability from the owner is not only anti-American but it’s the same tactic used by the left in their attempt to take our 2A away. I know that one is a right and one is a choice but the slippery slope of blaming the object instead of the individual is the same.

A dog properly restrained and housed is no different than my guns locked in the safe, neither will hurt anyone unless mishandled.

A gun doesn't need to be in a safe to be safe. A loaded gun leaning against the wall behind the door will stay there till Jesus comes and not bother anyone. Occasionally pitbulls attack their owners.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ah, excellent Roger -- I couldn't find'em.

By the way, you really made me laugh with one of your posts on one of these two threads!

Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Any second thoughts about having given the dog a 2nd chance?
i wanted to get get rid of him the first time,it was my old lady who didn't want to put him him down. she feels bad now, i'm milking for all i can, had her scratch my balls for me earlier.

Haha! eek grin

John

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman
Banning the breed instead of demanding accountability from the owner is not only anti-American but it’s the same tactic used by the left in their attempt to take our 2A away. I know that one is a right and one is a choice but the slippery slope of blaming the object instead of the individual is the same.

A dog properly restrained and housed is no different than my guns locked in the safe, neither will hurt anyone unless mishandled.

A gun doesn't need to be in a safe to be safe. A loaded gun leaning against the wall behind the door will stay there till Jesus comes and not bother anyone. Occasionally pitbulls attack their owners.

That seems to be a very difficult concept to grasp.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My neighbors had some folks with a pet pitbull staying with them. The pit got loose and came over to my property, attacking my 13 yo yellow lab. That pit was vicious! He'd latch onto my dogs neck and I was full force kicking it in the ribs to get it off. Every time I'd break them up, it would go straight back again latching onto my dogs neck. About the 4th time I separated them, it finally ran off. It was like an animal possessed!

I informed the folks and they had it put down. I wouldn't own one. IMO, that's a breed suited for few purposes.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for the background, Roger. Man, that dog got you good a few times. Glad to see you took care of the issue.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ringman

If this clown is for banning then I am against, for God knows he has never been right about anything else.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

BULLSHIT! You are wrong on every point, and downright lost all contact with reality to try and bring 2A and guns into this cluster.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Kill em all.

This.

These dogs have sufficiently proven that their owners cannot control them.

Yep, that!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Roy Horn may have been the greatest Tiger trainer in the world, and no one questions his love for the animal or that he ever mistreated them. However, one wrong move triggered an instinct that nearly cost him his life.

I'm sure every dog has its own personality, However, you can't blame every attack on the owner. A instinct may have been triggered, followed by the statement "he's never acted that way before".

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I don’t like the breed and have no use for one as a pet but with that said I do believe that a responsible owner is the key to owning that breed. Responsibility is actually the key to owning any breed of dog but more so when the dog is bred to kill.

I think TRH understands the responsibility involved with owning that breed and is likely the exact type of person that’s fit to own pit bulls. Comparing TRH to some ghetto homie in Detroit is inaccurate and disingenuous.

You are correct, well said.

No, it's not, and he is NOT correct at all!!!

Every pit story we hear is about like black crime: "Oh, he was such a nice young man. I don't know why he killed all those people." When it comes to pits, it seems they just snap. We hear that about everytime one of these tragedies happen. And very often it is a member or members of the family that is maimed or killed and far to often a child or old person. You never know, but the chances are much better than with most other breeds, that you will find out one day. So if you are thinking that it is the owners responsibility to properly train his pit, that is a proven misnomer. I believe past reporting has clearly shown that the pit can be a wonderful pet, in a wonderful loving home, right up until they kill. No training in the world can keep them from doing something that a few seconds prior appeared not possible, and shortly after the killing, they are back to their "old" selves. Now if you are stupid enough to want to take that chance, maybe a snapping will only relate to your family, but how does that work for those who live next door if it's their kids or granny who is horribly killed? I know what it would mean for me if a pit killed a pet of mine, much less a child or grand child.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
On average, there are about 30 deaths per year due to dogs having been identified as Pitbulls (I phrase it that way because "Pit Bull" is a catch all category for dogs roughly fitting a certain look, rather than a specific breed). For Rottweilers it's 5 per year (Only pure AKC Rottweilers are categorized as Rottweilers in these sorts of statistics). That's roughly the ratio (6:1) of the two "breeds" to each other in the US.

To put this into perspective, however, there are over 3,700 deaths by drowning each year, about ten percent of which (about 370) are children under five who drown in a swimming pool (murder charge for swimming pool owners, perhaps?). Suffocation by something caught in the throat or windpipe, over 5,000 per year. Just tripping and falling, over 36,000 per year.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I don’t like the breed and have no use for one as a pet but with that said I do believe that a responsible owner is the key to owning that breed. Responsibility is actually the key to owning any breed of dog but more so when the dog is bred to kill.

I think TRH understands the responsibility involved with owning that breed and is likely the exact type of person that’s fit to own pit bulls. Comparing TRH to some ghetto homie in Detroit is inaccurate and disingenuous.

So with all that being said, since TRH understands all the risks, if it were his pit bull that chewed threw a fence, or broke a chain, what would you charge him with? We always assume in these situations that the owner was careless, we’ll what if they weren’t careless but their dogs managed to maul a child to death, and they understood that might happen should their dog ever get loose?

Given this hypothetical TRH question, if it were my family member, I'd own everything TRH has. It's his dog, it's up to him to make sure things like you describe do not happen, period.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RickyD

BULLSHIT! You are wrong on every point, and downright lost all contact with reality to try and bring 2A and guns into this cluster.

Lolol.....😂.....JFC.....ok....I’m wrong. My opinion is wrong and I offer my deepest apologies to everyone that was offended by my opinion. I don’t want to get into a pissing match but I obviously tripped some triggers by believing that personal responsibility was a trait that the Campfire embraced. Myself?......I’ll choose freedom and responsibility over the heavy hand of authoritarianism. My comments were precipitated by someone else’s comments about TRH and I wanted to draw a distinction between responsible owners (TRH) and irresponsible owners. I didn’t mean to elicit such raw emotions and wadded panties over my reluctance to create more laws so that the big government crowd could hide behind those laws with a false sense of security.

Pit bulls, like the marijuana debate, always bring out the big government “conservatives” that, like the anti-2A folks, prefer to ban everything that scares them. They think that banning something they fear will keep them safe and that personal responsibility and personal accountability are lofty ideals that have no place in a free society. Ban It....ban it...ban it....

I personally have no problem with killing every pit bull and Rottweiler out there but once they’re eliminated then Chows, poodles, labs and every other breed will be on the chopping block. The BAN IT crowd won’t stop at pit bulls. 😉. I have no use for the breed but I don’t think more laws will fix it.

Wasn’t there a quote about trading freedom for security? 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
On average, there are about 30 deaths per year due to dogs having been identified as Pitbulls...For Rottweilers it's 5 per year ...

You have conveniently used only death statistics, rather than maulings, and provided no citation or breed numbers for comparison.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Good point.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Lolol.....😂.....JFC.....ok....I’m wrong. My opinion is wrong and I offer my deepest apologies to everyone that was offended by my opinion. I don’t want to get into a pissing match but I obviously tripped some triggers by believing that personal responsibility was a trait that the Campfire embraced. Myself?......I’ll choose freedom and responsibility over the heavy hand of authoritarianism. My comments were precipitated by someone else’s comments about TRH and I wanted to draw a distinction between responsible owners (TRH) and irresponsible owners. I didn’t mean to elicit such raw emotions and wadded panties over my reluctance to create more laws so that the big government crowd could hide behind those laws with a false sense of security.

Pit bulls, like the marijuana debate, always bring out the big government “conservatives” that, like the anti-2A folks, prefer to ban everything that scares them. They think that banning something they fear will keep them safe and that personal responsibility and personal accountability are lofty ideals that have no place in a free society. Ban It....ban it...ban it....

I personally have no problem with killing every pit bull and Rottweiler out there but once they’re eliminated then Chows, poodles, labs and every other breed will be on the chopping block. The BAN IT crowd won’t stop at pit bulls. 😉. I have no use for the breed but I don’t think more laws will fix it.

Wasn’t there a quote about trading freedom for security? 😁
I'm always surprised at the number of men here at the Fire who suddenly start thinking with their ovaries whenever this topic comes up, instead of with their brains, as is usually characteristic of men. At least it's ordinarily characteristic of non-snowflake men.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
On average, there are about 30 deaths per year due to dogs having been identified as Pitbulls...For Rottweilers it's 5 per year ...

You have conveniently used only death statistics, rather than maulings, and provided no citation or breed numbers for comparison.

I found this, lots of stats and Pits do seem to be extremely overrepresented.

https://www.maxlawsc.com/dog-bite-statistics/

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The stats have far more to do with who owns the dogs than the dogs themselves. Pitbulls became a status symbol for Blacks in inner cities starting in the 1970s, with the premium going to those who had (by long-established methods) made their dogs the meanest (it's not hard, if that's your purpose). Prior to that, they were generally owned by rural White folks who not only placed no emphasis on making their dogs mean, they had no desire to own one that wasn't positively friendly towards people. It was only since the 1970s that we saw outsized dog bite stats attached to Pitbulls. In fact, Pitbulls tended not even to make the top ten lists of dogs that bite before then.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Goosey has dogs?

Figured he was a gerbil boy

Slug or snake guy.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/26/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.