Home
Heard this on the news from Detroit Radio 760 this morning. A very brief report. Three pit bulls killed a little girl. The funeral already occurred and the pit bull owner was charged with MURDER.

A brief report. that's all I know. It's the first report of an attack by these visious animals that I've heard that tells of the retribution visited upon the dogs' owners.

TRH, Marley, and Goosey you're on borrowed time.
If we could just save 10 childs a year. And we could, if we would.
Don’t see any DemoRat’s rushing to ban Pit Bulls.
I don’t like the breed and have no use for one as a pet but with that said I do believe that a responsible owner is the key to owning that breed. Responsibility is actually the key to owning any breed of dog but more so when the dog is bred to kill.

I think TRH understands the responsibility involved with owning that breed and is likely the exact type of person that’s fit to own pit bulls. Comparing TRH to some ghetto homie in Detroit is inaccurate and disingenuous.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...er-charged-2nd-degree-murder/2089749001/
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I don’t like the breed and have no use for one as a pet but with that said I do believe that a responsible owner is the key to owning that breed. Responsibility is actually the key to owning any breed of dog but more so when the dog is bred to kill.

I think TRH understands the responsibility involved with owning that breed and is likely the exact type of person that’s fit to own pit bulls. Comparing TRH to some ghetto homie in Detroit is inaccurate and disingenuous.

This. Well said, Ace.
Banning the breed instead of demanding accountability from the owner is not only anti-American but it’s the same tactic used by the left in their attempt to take our 2A away. I know that one is a right and one is a choice but the slippery slope of blaming the object instead of the individual is the same.

A dog properly restrained and housed is no different than my guns locked in the safe, neither will hurt anyone unless mishandled.
Thanks Jag. 👍
even though i doubt i'll have another one, they do have their place, catch dogs etc.

"Ghetto homies" don't have anti-Semitic sig lines with made up quotes.

I used to think like you and that the owner was the most important for a pitt bull.

However, I've come to mistrust pitt bulls when faced with a lot of different evidence.

For example, Roger (stxhunter) had a pit bull for 5 years (7 years?) who was never mistreated, and Roger is for sure a fellow to establish dominance over a dog. Roger posted pictures of Petey frolicing on the beach, wouldn't hurt a soul.

Well, one day Petey the pitt bull turned on him. Serious bites. Roger's wife managed to get Petey off death row and get a second chance, but a while later Petey attacked Roger again. Lots more serious bites, and Roger posted lots of pictures here if you want to see them.

Petey didn't get a third chance to maul a human because Roger did what any responsible owner would.

If Big Bad Roger couldn't do it, I'm skeptical about anybody being able to really control a pitt bull in the long term.

Just my two kronor,

John
Good post.
Sounds about right, the owner should be charged for Murder if its true that the owner's of pets are responsible for them...whoever have a aggressive dog should have it on a leash and if not whatever happens is all their fault.
Goosey has dogs?

Figured he was a gerbil boy
Originally Posted by slumlord
Goosey has dogs?

No Doubt Slum !!!
Banning the breed instead of demanding accountability from the owner is not only anti-American but it’s the same tactic used by the left in their attempt to take our 2A away. I know that one is a right and one is a choice but the slippery slope of blaming the object instead of the individual is the same.

A dog properly restrained and housed is no different than my guns locked in the safe, neither will hurt anyone unless mishandled.

all that owner accountability sounds good....tell that to the parents of a kid that is killed by pits...…….guns don't jump out of safes.....guns don't break out windows etc.....bob
Originally Posted by Campsterpoor
Sounds about right, the owner should be charged for Murder if its true that the owner's of pets are responsible for them...whoever have a aggressive dog should have it on a leash and if not whatever happens is all their fault.

Bad dogs, bad fencing.

https://www.cleveland.com/nation/20...d-michigan-girl-charged-with-murder.html

Cleveland is accused of keeping his dogs in the backyard of his residence with a fence that was not secure, the Detroit Free Press reports.

Prosecutors also say Cleveland’s dogs killed multiple puppies two weeks before the attack on Hernandez.

The attack on Hernandez was so horrific that first responders were offered counseling.

The dogs are in the custody of city officials will be euthanized, reports say.

Kill em all.
Oh dat brotha spend mo time rubbin his Sakos then he do fixin he fentses
Originally Posted by jaguartx
If we could just save 10 childs a year. And we could, if we would.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/L...eed-in-Dog-Bite-Risk-and-Prevention.aspx
Only 3 fingers??

Gonna be hard to reciporcate "the shocker" on his cellie
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Heard this on the news from Detroit Radio 760 this morning. A very brief report. Three pit bulls killed a little girl. The funeral already occurred and the pit bull owner was charged with MURDER.

A brief report. that's all I know. It's the first report of an attack by these visious animals that I've heard that tells of the retribution visited upon the dogs' owners.

Yeah, just tell me how I am on borrowed time WindyCA35.
Universal background checks on all pit bull owners and limit them to only 2 teeth.

Assault dogs have no place in society.
Kill 'em all. Every time I see one, it gives me the creeps.

Major differences: no gun ever attacked a kid next door on it's own. Dogs have done it many times. No gun ever dug its way under a fence or chewed through it's collar. Dogs have done it many times. A gun is just an inanimate tool. A dog is a living thing with a brain (sort of) that makes it's own decisions.
You can't compare a gun to a dog, period.

I have no problem with the owner being charged with murder/manslaughter.
It's a step in the right direction. Now they need to start charging the owners with assault whenever there's an attack of any kind.
If we are talking about responsible gun ownership, wouldn't that make the owner........ responsible?

Hand him over to the girl's mother. She'll make it right.

It's happened at least once before except the dogs were two Presa Canarios:

Court of Appeal, First District, Division 2, California.

Death of Diane Whipple

Lawyers jailed for fatal dog attack

15 years to life in S.F. dog maul death

Court rejects Marjorie Knoller appeal in 2001 dog-mauling case

Robert Noel, of killer-dog case fam...ill serve 2-year parole in Solano County
A pit broke into my neighbor's yard early this morning and killed his retired K9, Coy. Coy was a nine year old German Shepard which was, of course, trained to not respond to animal aggression. I was fishing and Ryan (the owner) was at deer camp. Most of Coy's head was gone and we're all pretty sad.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Kill em all.

This.

These dogs have sufficiently proven that their owners cannot control them.
Originally Posted by Marley7x57

Lemme 'splain it for 'ya, Marley.

This is a precedent. The judge set bail much higher than the prosecutor even wanted.

If your "beloved" savage filthy beast somehow sneaks out of your building, as they have been known to do, or tries to kill someone in your family, as Stxhunter's did, and if in the process kills some child in a far more savage and grisley manner than the shark in the movie "Jaws," you stand a good chance of going to JAIL. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Savvy?

First your insurance company might cancel your insurance because you keep a dangerous anomal. Many have. Assuming you have anything worth insuring.

Have a nice day.
the guy whose three pits killed a 9 year old girl last week in Detroit was charged with 2nd deg murder...2 mil in bail

You are correct, well said.
there are plenty of plain old regular folks who own them, love the breed, etc. They, their kids, their neigbors, and their mailmen are at risk.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
A pit broke into my neighbor's yard early this morning and killed his retired K9, Coy. Coy was a nine year old German Shepard which was, of course, trained to not respond to animal aggression. I was fishing and Ryan (the owner) was at deer camp. Most of Coy's head was gone and we're all pretty sad.

Damn! Hate to hear that. It sucks.
Ace's reply is very well said and my sentiments as well. Giving TRH crap every time one of these dogs does something stupid is like the rest of us catching crap when someone is harmed by a firearm.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

I agree to a certain extent. But look at Roger’s Pit Bull.
It turned on him twice for no apparent reason.

And not one of them will blame a vehicle for those killed by drunk drivers...
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Yep. Can't blame the breed when the owner is obviously negligent.

"Ghetto homies" don't have anti-Semitic sig lines with made up quotes.

Real American patriots don't like a country that spies on us and bombs our ships, killing Americans.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Well that’s Rogers fault for the second time cause I woulda killed the damn dog after the first time.
Originally Posted by Hammer2506

Well that’s Rogers fault for the second time cause I woulda killed the damn dog after the first time.

He admits that. His wife talked him out of it.

Agreed.

Ive said many times before on these threads every pit bull Ive been around or worked with was the sweetest dog imaginable...but I have never gotten into any type of enclosed area with one that I didn't have the means and the mindset to kill.
The dog breed of pieces. I look for legal enough excuses to smoke every one of them I encounter.
Best news I have heard in a long time!!!

Neil
Originally Posted by ingwe

Agreed.

Ive said many times before on these threads every pit bull Ive been around or worked with was the sweetest dog imaginable...but I have never gotten into any type of enclosed area with one that I didn't have the means and the mindset to kill.

Reminds me of a General Mattis quote :
“BE POLITE, BE PROFESSIONAL, BUT HAVE A PLAN TO KILL EVERYBODY YOU MEET”
Originally Posted by ingwe

Agreed.

That's the problem. They ARE sweet...until they snap and kill someone.
Lawyer said he had hurt fingers so he has an excuse besides being negligent.

Dindo nuffin
Comparing guns and vehicles to pitbulls is an invalid argument.

One is living, breathing and has a mind of it's own. The other is an tool, machine, and needs the living, breathing, person to do damage.

A car, or gun sitting in the back yard with broken fences will never hurt anyone.

A breed bred to kill and be vicious on the other hand...…..
Originally Posted by CRS

One is living, breathing and has a mind of it's own. The other is an tool, machine, and needs the living, breathing, person to do damage.

A car, or gun sitting in the back yard with broken fences will never hurt anyone.

Excellent point that seems so obvious that it's hard to believe that so many people don't get it.
Blaming the gun is akin to blaming the car when a drunk kills people
Bad dogs when they snap.
Don’t see any DemoRat’s rushing to ban Pit Bulls.

Nope. Just a bunch of cousin [bleep].
Originally Posted by CRS

The breed was actually selectively bread to avoid aggression toward humans. Dog owners need to be responsible for their dogs, end of story.
Originally Posted by stevelyn
The dog breed of pieces. I look for legal enough excuses to smoke every one of them I encounter.

Now there’s a man with missing teeth and a small dick.

And for that- an individual dog's action - you damn the entire breed...

I met a mean Lab once...

Over at Ironbenders' my 5 month old monster mini Dachsund put the run on his pit-mix at initial meeting. (Dachs have no sense of size or decorum... even if Mike's dog does) An hour later that nasty pit was on his side on the floor, getting Frenched by the little bastard.

Does not mean all pits/pit mixes are like that, but I'll take them as individuals.

and yeah- you better not mess with Mike's wife or car if the dog is there.

Mike is pretty much on his own, it sounded like.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

..…..

An unsecured gun or unsecured dog, are both negligence by the owner.

many kids get shot by unsecured firearms in the home and other places.

so anyone with their firearm 'on the loose' that results in harm or tragedy
should be charged just like that dipschitt pitbull owner.
Originally Posted by Starman

..…..

Exactly! with the caveat that a firearm in itself does not have the "free will" of a dog- any dog.
Originally Posted by las

..…..

Exactly! with the caveat that a firearm in itself does not have the "free will" of a dog- any dog.

Sooooo, you agree with starfish, equating a living thing with the ability to make decisions and act of it's own accord with an inanimate tool?
Being irresponsible-negligent with gun or dog c(or both) can result in harm and/or death.

happens thousands of times a year with both.

just because a gun is inanimate , does not exempt the owner from the responsibility of securing such to prevent tragedy.

Originally Posted by CRS

The breed was actually selectively bread to avoid aggression toward humans.

You skipped the part where pit bulls that DID show aggression towards humans were killed immediately, a thing necessary every generation. That ain’t been done in prob’ly a half century or more in most pit bull bloodlines.

Dog owners need to be responsible for their dogs, end of story.

Couldn’t agree more, your dog gets off your property you oughtta be liable for everything that dogs does while roaming loose.

He made one mistake, It got him twice, he should have put it down the first time.
where i live in the country we have a rule S.S.S., as far as those 3 pitbulls they should all be shot dead ,the dog`s owner should be put to death too by a public hanging would be best. >killer attack dogs have no place in America near the public ever !
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by las

..…..

Sooooo, you agree with starfish, equating a living thing with the ability to make decisions and act of it's own accord with an inanimate tool?

WTF are you talking about? What we have here is a failure to communicate...
Being irresponsible-negligent with gun or dog c(or both) can result in harm and/or death.

happens thousands of times a year with both.

just because a gun is inanimate , does not exempt the owner from the responsibility of securing such to prevent tragedy.

Again, agree. You sick or something? smile ?
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Originally Posted by CRS

You skipped the part where pit bulls that DID show aggression towards humans were killed immediately, a thing necessary every generation. That ain’t been done in prob’ly a half century or more in most pit bull bloodlines.

Couldn’t agree more, your dog gets off your property you oughtta be liable for everything that dogs does while roaming loose.

Yes.
Inaminate objects can not act on their own, therefore the responsibility lies with the user. No matter if the user should be using the object or not.

Pit bulls can act on their own. No matter how much you train, care, pet, feed, water, take them to the vet etc.
This same breed we are talking about has a very long track record of this type of behavior.
Originally Posted by CRS
Inaminate objects can not act on their own, therefore the responsibility lies with the user.

so if you leave your loaded firearms easily accessible to young children the onus is all on them?
do you leave rat poison next to the cookie jar as well?...cause rat poison is inanimate.
I'm new here. Anybody have a link to this dog attack on Roger thread?

Sounds like quite a story. BTW, I hate pit bulls.
A precedent you say. You should be the poster child for ignorance.

Originally Posted by Marley7x57

Lemme 'splain it for 'ya, Marley.

This is a precedent. The judge set bail much higher than the prosecutor even wanted.

If your "beloved" savage filthy beast somehow sneaks out of your building, as they have been known to do, or tries to kill someone in your family, as Stxhunter's did, and if in the process kills some child in a far more savage and grisley manner than the shark in the movie "Jaws," you stand a good chance of going to JAIL. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Savvy?

First your insurance company might cancel your insurance because you keep a dangerous anomal. Many have. Assuming you have anything worth insuring.

Have a nice day.

None of my guns ever broke out of my gun safe; ran across the street; and shot one of my neighbors in the ass while I was away at work.

Pitbull owner faces murder charge after fatal dog mauling of 4-year-old

Dogs’ Attack On Child Fatal; Owner Faces Criminal Charges

Kentucky Boy, 2, Was Mauled to Death by Pit Bull — and Mom and Owners Are Charged

Pit bull owner charged with murder in fatal mauling

Criminal Penalties for a Dog Bite
Originally Posted by Todd_Bradford

None of my guns ever broke out of my gun safe; ran across the street; and shot one of my neighbors in the ass while I was away at work.

Exactly. There is a one step disconnect between a firearm or any other tool and a self aware animal (children included), and it's behavior. The owner/parent is responsible for both inanimate object and the animate, and the interphase.
Originally Posted by Morewood
I'm new here. Anybody have a link to this dog attack on Roger thread?

Sounds like quite a story. BTW, I hate pit bulls.

You ain't that new here, more than 1500 posts.

Edit: it does not come up in a simple search. Perhaps someone who knows the story will privide.
Originally Posted by jpb

I used to think like you and that the owner was the most important for a pitt bull.

However, I've come to mistrust pitt bulls when faced with a lot of different evidence.

For example, Roger (stxhunter) had a pit bull for 5 years (7 years?) who was never mistreated, and Roger is for sure a fellow to establish dominance over a dog. Roger posted pictures of Petey frolicing on the beach, wouldn't hurt a soul.

Well, one day Petey the pitt bull turned on him. Serious bites. Roger's wife managed to get Petey off death row and get a second chance, but a while later Petey attacked Roger again. Lots more serious bites, and Roger posted lots of pictures here if you want to see them.

Petey didn't get a third chance to maul a human because Roger did what any responsible owner would.

If Big Bad Roger couldn't do it, I'm skeptical about anybody being able to really control a pitt bull in the long term.

Just my two kronor,

John

Really sums up my experience with the breed and all the kids who survived sttacks with surgery and scars. They should be exterminated but if not owners charged with their crimes. In fact most states absolve the owners which is sickening

So with all that being said, since TRH understands all the risks, if it were his pit bull that chewed threw a fence, or broke a chain, what would you charge him with? We always assume in these situations that the owner was careless, we’ll what if they weren’t careless but their dogs managed to maul a child to death, and they understood that might happen should their dog ever get loose?
Originally Posted by CRS

The breed was actually selectively bread to avoid aggression toward humans. Dog owners need to be responsible for their dogs, end of story.

Such deep, insightful, complex, and cogent thoughts on such a simple matter...
I have never met a mean pit or pit/mix dog. but then again, I have never met a plt or pit/mix dog mean... Every one I have met has been a friendy, slobbering all over you mutt, at the time..

But I'll take a Lab or Lab mix ....

A gun doesn't need to be in a safe to be safe. A loaded gun leaning against the wall behind the door will stay there till Jesus comes and not bother anyone. Occasionally pitbulls attack their owners.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11065824/1

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11234678/fingers#Post11234678

Ah, excellent Roger -- I couldn't find'em.

By the way, you really made me laugh with one of your posts on one of these two threads!

Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Any second thoughts about having given the dog a 2nd chance?
i wanted to get get rid of him the first time,it was my old lady who didn't want to put him him down. she feels bad now, i'm milking for all i can, had her scratch my balls for me earlier.

Haha! eek grin

John
Originally Posted by Ringman

A gun doesn't need to be in a safe to be safe. A loaded gun leaning against the wall behind the door will stay there till Jesus comes and not bother anyone. Occasionally pitbulls attack their owners.

That seems to be a very difficult concept to grasp.
My neighbors had some folks with a pet pitbull staying with them. The pit got loose and came over to my property, attacking my 13 yo yellow lab. That pit was vicious! He'd latch onto my dogs neck and I was full force kicking it in the ribs to get it off. Every time I'd break them up, it would go straight back again latching onto my dogs neck. About the 4th time I separated them, it finally ran off. It was like an animal possessed!

I informed the folks and they had it put down. I wouldn't own one. IMO, that's a breed suited for few purposes.

Thanks for the background, Roger. Man, that dog got you good a few times. Glad to see you took care of the issue.
Originally Posted by Ringman

If this clown is for banning then I am against, for God knows he has never been right about anything else.

BULLSHIT! You are wrong on every point, and downright lost all contact with reality to try and bring 2A and guns into this cluster.
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Kill em all.

This.

These dogs have sufficiently proven that their owners cannot control them.

Yep, that!
Roy Horn may have been the greatest Tiger trainer in the world, and no one questions his love for the animal or that he ever mistreated them. However, one wrong move triggered an instinct that nearly cost him his life.

I'm sure every dog has its own personality, However, you can't blame every attack on the owner. A instinct may have been triggered, followed by the statement "he's never acted that way before".

No, it's not, and he is NOT correct at all!!!

Every pit story we hear is about like black crime: "Oh, he was such a nice young man. I don't know why he killed all those people." When it comes to pits, it seems they just snap. We hear that about everytime one of these tragedies happen. And very often it is a member or members of the family that is maimed or killed and far to often a child or old person. You never know, but the chances are much better than with most other breeds, that you will find out one day. So if you are thinking that it is the owners responsibility to properly train his pit, that is a proven misnomer. I believe past reporting has clearly shown that the pit can be a wonderful pet, in a wonderful loving home, right up until they kill. No training in the world can keep them from doing something that a few seconds prior appeared not possible, and shortly after the killing, they are back to their "old" selves. Now if you are stupid enough to want to take that chance, maybe a snapping will only relate to your family, but how does that work for those who live next door if it's their kids or granny who is horribly killed? I know what it would mean for me if a pit killed a pet of mine, much less a child or grand child.
On average, there are about 30 deaths per year due to dogs having been identified as Pitbulls (I phrase it that way because "Pit Bull" is a catch all category for dogs roughly fitting a certain look, rather than a specific breed). For Rottweilers it's 5 per year (Only pure AKC Rottweilers are categorized as Rottweilers in these sorts of statistics). That's roughly the ratio (6:1) of the two "breeds" to each other in the US.

To put this into perspective, however, there are over 3,700 deaths by drowning each year, about ten percent of which (about 370) are children under five who drown in a swimming pool (murder charge for swimming pool owners, perhaps?). Suffocation by something caught in the throat or windpipe, over 5,000 per year. Just tripping and falling, over 36,000 per year.

Originally Posted by Barkoff

So with all that being said, since TRH understands all the risks, if it were his pit bull that chewed threw a fence, or broke a chain, what would you charge him with? We always assume in these situations that the owner was careless, we’ll what if they weren’t careless but their dogs managed to maul a child to death, and they understood that might happen should their dog ever get loose?

Given this hypothetical TRH question, if it were my family member, I'd own everything TRH has. It's his dog, it's up to him to make sure things like you describe do not happen, period.
Originally Posted by RickyD

BULLSHIT! You are wrong on every point, and downright lost all contact with reality to try and bring 2A and guns into this cluster.

Lolol.....😂.....JFC.....ok....I’m wrong. My opinion is wrong and I offer my deepest apologies to everyone that was offended by my opinion. I don’t want to get into a pissing match but I obviously tripped some triggers by believing that personal responsibility was a trait that the Campfire embraced. Myself?......I’ll choose freedom and responsibility over the heavy hand of authoritarianism. My comments were precipitated by someone else’s comments about TRH and I wanted to draw a distinction between responsible owners (TRH) and irresponsible owners. I didn’t mean to elicit such raw emotions and wadded panties over my reluctance to create more laws so that the big government crowd could hide behind those laws with a false sense of security.

Pit bulls, like the marijuana debate, always bring out the big government “conservatives” that, like the anti-2A folks, prefer to ban everything that scares them. They think that banning something they fear will keep them safe and that personal responsibility and personal accountability are lofty ideals that have no place in a free society. Ban It....ban it...ban it....

I personally have no problem with killing every pit bull and Rottweiler out there but once they’re eliminated then Chows, poodles, labs and every other breed will be on the chopping block. The BAN IT crowd won’t stop at pit bulls. 😉. I have no use for the breed but I don’t think more laws will fix it.

Wasn’t there a quote about trading freedom for security? 😁
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
On average, there are about 30 deaths per year due to dogs having been identified as Pitbulls...For Rottweilers it's 5 per year ...

You have conveniently used only death statistics, rather than maulings, and provided no citation or breed numbers for comparison.

Good point.

Lolol.....😂.....JFC.....ok....I’m wrong. My opinion is wrong and I offer my deepest apologies to everyone that was offended by my opinion. I don’t want to get into a pissing match but I obviously tripped some triggers by believing that personal responsibility was a trait that the Campfire embraced. Myself?......I’ll choose freedom and responsibility over the heavy hand of authoritarianism. My comments were precipitated by someone else’s comments about TRH and I wanted to draw a distinction between responsible owners (TRH) and irresponsible owners. I didn’t mean to elicit such raw emotions and wadded panties over my reluctance to create more laws so that the big government crowd could hide behind those laws with a false sense of security.

Pit bulls, like the marijuana debate, always bring out the big government “conservatives” that, like the anti-2A folks, prefer to ban everything that scares them. They think that banning something they fear will keep them safe and that personal responsibility and personal accountability are lofty ideals that have no place in a free society. Ban It....ban it...ban it....

I personally have no problem with killing every pit bull and Rottweiler out there but once they’re eliminated then Chows, poodles, labs and every other breed will be on the chopping block. The BAN IT crowd won’t stop at pit bulls. 😉. I have no use for the breed but I don’t think more laws will fix it.

I'm always surprised at the number of men here at the Fire who suddenly start thinking with their ovaries whenever this topic comes up, instead of with their brains, as is usually characteristic of men. At least it's ordinarily characteristic of non-snowflake men.
Originally Posted by pal
On average, there are about 30 deaths per year due to dogs having been identified as Pitbulls...For Rottweilers it's 5 per year ...

You have conveniently used only death statistics, rather than maulings, and provided no citation or breed numbers for comparison.

I found this, lots of stats and Pits do seem to be extremely overrepresented.

https://www.maxlawsc.com/dog-bite-statistics/
The stats have far more to do with who owns the dogs than the dogs themselves. Pitbulls became a status symbol for Blacks in inner cities starting in the 1970s, with the premium going to those who had (by long-established methods) made their dogs the meanest (it's not hard, if that's your purpose). Prior to that, they were generally owned by rural White folks who not only placed no emphasis on making their dogs mean, they had no desire to own one that wasn't positively friendly towards people. It was only since the 1970s that we saw outsized dog bite stats attached to Pitbulls. In fact, Pitbulls tended not even to make the top ten lists of dogs that bite before then.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Goosey has dogs?

Slug or snake guy.

I'm always surprised at the number of men here at the Fire who suddenly start thinking with their ovaries whenever this topic comes up, instead of with their brains, as is usually characteristic of men. At least it's ordinarily characteristic of non-snowflake men.

You have raised the idiot bar far higher... few will possibly ever reach your lofty perch.

On average, there are about 30 deaths per year due to dogs having been identified as Pitbulls (I phrase it that way because "Pit Bull" is a catch all category for dogs roughly fitting a certain look, rather than a specific breed). For Rottweilers it's 5 per year (Only pure AKC Rottweilers are categorized as Rottweilers in these sorts of statistics). That's roughly the ratio (6:1) of the two "breeds" to each other in the US.

To put this into perspective, however, there are over 3,700 deaths by drowning each year, about ten percent of those (about 370) are children under five who drown in a swimming pool (murder charge for swimming pool owners, perhaps?). Suffocation by something caught in the throat or windpipe, over 5,000 per year. Just tripping and falling, over 36,000 each year.

Seriously... ? That has to be about the most twisted, bizarre to the extreme, "Apples to Oranges", comparisons I believe I've ever heard yet attempting to make a point.

Originally Posted by guyandarifle
...I found this, lots of stats and Pits do seem to be extremely overrepresented.

https://www.maxlawsc.com/dog-bite-statistics/

According to that report, regarding dog attacks during the period from 1982-2014, of the 1643 attacks, pit bulls were responsible for nearly 1/3 (535:1643) of the attacks among the top 30 breeds involved!

Poor misunderstood doggies.
If you held constant the factor of who owns them (eliminate irresponsible people, folks habitually involved in crime, etc.), you would find that Pitbulls rank about the same as Boxers on all categories.

[Linked Image]

Sir, you were either very fast, or very lucky to deflect a neck attack at that range and position. I know first hand just how fast and how strong a pitbull is when attacking. No fun, no fun at all. Glad you survived it.
Originally Posted by las

And for that- an individual dog's action - you damn the entire breed...

I met a mean Lab once...

Over at Ironbenders' my 5 month old monster mini Dachsund put the run on his pit-mix at initial meeting. (Dachs have no sense of size or decorum... even if Mike's dog does) An hour later that nasty pit was on his side on the floor, getting Frenched by the little bastard.

Does not mean all pits/pit mixes are like that, but I'll take them as individuals.

and yeah- you better not mess with Mike's wife or car if the dog is there.

Mike is pretty much on his own, it sounded like.

Yep. Pits are a lot like Muzzies. You can't condemn the breed for the actions of a select few. Each time I read of dog chewing the face off of a baby I am never surprised to learn it was a pit. Each time I hear of a bomb blowing up a bunch of innocent people, I am never surprise to learn it's a Muzzy. But we cannot condemn the breed.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Originally Posted by CRS

Human aggression will never be bred out of pits or killed out of pits. If it was going to happen it already would have. Labs certainly haven't had a history of needing to be killed for human aggression.
Originally Posted by gsganzer
My neighbors had some folks with a pet pitbull staying with them. The pit got loose and came over to my property, attacking my 13 yo yellow lab. That pit was vicious! He'd latch onto my dogs neck and I was full force kicking it in the ribs to get it off. Every time I'd break them up, it would go straight back again latching onto my dogs neck. About the 4th time I separated them, it finally ran off. It was like an animal possessed!

I informed the folks and they had it put down. I wouldn't own one. IMO, that's a breed suited for few purposes.

A kick to the guts works better.
Originally Posted by kellory

Sir, you were either very fast, or very lucky to deflect a neck attack at that range and position. I know first hand just how fast and how strong a pitbull is when attacking. No fun, no fun at all. Glad you survived it.

i might be getting old and fat but i have fast reflexes.
I'm getting old too, but it's amazing how fast I can blow the brains out of a pitbull if it's on my property.
© 24hourcampfire