Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Lolol.....šŸ˜‚.....JFC.....ok....Iā€™m wrong. My opinion is wrong and I offer my deepest apologies to everyone that was offended by my opinion. I donā€™t want to get into a pissing match but I obviously tripped some triggers by believing that personal responsibility was a trait that the Campfire embraced. Myself?......Iā€™ll choose freedom and responsibility over the heavy hand of authoritarianism. My comments were precipitated by someone elseā€™s comments about TRH and I wanted to draw a distinction between responsible owners (TRH) and irresponsible owners. I didnā€™t mean to elicit such raw emotions and wadded panties over my reluctance to create more laws so that the big government crowd could hide behind those laws with a false sense of security.

Pit bulls, like the marijuana debate, always bring out the big government ā€œconservativesā€ that, like the anti-2A folks, prefer to ban everything that scares them. They think that banning something they fear will keep them safe and that personal responsibility and personal accountability are lofty ideals that have no place in a free society. Ban It....ban it...ban it....

I personally have no problem with killing every pit bull and Rottweiler out there but once theyā€™re eliminated then Chows, poodles, labs and every other breed will be on the chopping block. The BAN IT crowd wonā€™t stop at pit bulls. šŸ˜‰. I have no use for the breed but I donā€™t think more laws will fix it.

Wasnā€™t there a quote about trading freedom for security? šŸ˜
I'm always surprised at the number of men here at the Fire who suddenly start thinking with their ovaries whenever this topic comes up, instead of with their brains, as is usually characteristic of men. At least it's ordinarily characteristic of non-snowflake men.

You have raised the idiot bar far higher... few will possibly ever reach your lofty perch.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
On average, there are about 30 deaths per year due to dogs having been identified as Pitbulls (I phrase it that way because "Pit Bull" is a catch all category for dogs roughly fitting a certain look, rather than a specific breed). For Rottweilers it's 5 per year (Only pure AKC Rottweilers are categorized as Rottweilers in these sorts of statistics). That's roughly the ratio (6:1) of the two "breeds" to each other in the US.

To put this into perspective, however, there are over 3,700 deaths by drowning each year, about ten percent of those (about 370) are children under five who drown in a swimming pool (murder charge for swimming pool owners, perhaps?). Suffocation by something caught in the throat or windpipe, over 5,000 per year. Just tripping and falling, over 36,000 each year.

Seriously... ? That has to be about the most twisted, bizarre to the extreme, "Apples to Oranges", comparisons I believe I've ever heard yet attempting to make a point.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
...I found this, lots of stats and Pits do seem to be extremely overrepresented.

https://www.maxlawsc.com/dog-bite-statistics/

According to that report, regarding dog attacks during the period from 1982-2014, of the 1643 attacks, pit bulls were responsible for nearly 1/3 (535:1643) of the attacks among the top 30 breeds involved!

Poor misunderstood doggies.

Last edited by pal; 08/26/19.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
If you held constant the factor of who owns them (eliminate irresponsible people, folks habitually involved in crime, etc.), you would find that Pitbulls rank about the same as Boxers on all categories.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sir, you were either very fast, or very lucky to deflect a neck attack at that range and position. I know first hand just how fast and how strong a pitbull is when attacking. No fun, no fun at all. Glad you survived it.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I donā€™t like the breed and have no use for one as a pet but with that said I do believe that a responsible owner is the key to owning that breed. Responsibility is actually the key to owning any breed of dog but more so when the dog is bred to kill.

I think TRH understands the responsibility involved with owning that breed and is likely the exact type of person thatā€™s fit to own pit bulls. Comparing TRH to some ghetto homie in Detroit is inaccurate and disingenuous.

You are correct, well said.

I agree to a certain extent. But look at Rogerā€™s Pit Bull.
It turned on him twice for no apparent reason.

And for that- an individual dog's action - you damn the entire breed...

I met a mean Lab once...

Over at Ironbenders' my 5 month old monster mini Dachsund put the run on his pit-mix at initial meeting. (Dachs have no sense of size or decorum... even if Mike's dog does) An hour later that nasty pit was on his side on the floor, getting Frenched by the little bastard.

Does not mean all pits/pit mixes are like that, but I'll take them as individuals.

and yeah- you better not mess with Mike's wife or car if the dog is there.

Mike is pretty much on his own, it sounded like.

Yep. Pits are a lot like Muzzies. You can't condemn the breed for the actions of a select few. Each time I read of dog chewing the face off of a baby I am never surprised to learn it was a pit. Each time I hear of a bomb blowing up a bunch of innocent people, I am never surprise to learn it's a Muzzy. But we cannot condemn the breed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I have no problem with the owner being charged with murder/manslaughter.

Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by CRS
Comparing guns and vehicles to pitbulls is an invalid argument.

One is living, breathing and has a mind of it's own. The other is an tool, machine, and needs the living, breathing, person to do damage.

A car, or gun sitting in the back yard with broken fences will never hurt anyone.

A breed bred to kill and be vicious on the other hand...ā€¦..

The breed was actually selectively bread to avoid aggression toward humans.

You skipped the part where pit bulls that DID show aggression towards humans were killed immediately, a thing necessary every generation. That ainā€™t been done in probā€™ly a half century or more in most pit bull bloodlines.

Dog owners need to be responsible for their dogs, end of story.

Couldnā€™t agree more, your dog gets off your property you oughtta be liable for everything that dogs does while roaming loose.

Human aggression will never be bred out of pits or killed out of pits. If it was going to happen it already would have. Labs certainly haven't had a history of needing to be killed for human aggression.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gsganzer
My neighbors had some folks with a pet pitbull staying with them. The pit got loose and came over to my property, attacking my 13 yo yellow lab. That pit was vicious! He'd latch onto my dogs neck and I was full force kicking it in the ribs to get it off. Every time I'd break them up, it would go straight back again latching onto my dogs neck. About the 4th time I separated them, it finally ran off. It was like an animal possessed!

I informed the folks and they had it put down. I wouldn't own one. IMO, that's a breed suited for few purposes.

A kick to the guts works better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kellory

Sir, you were either very fast, or very lucky to deflect a neck attack at that range and position. I know first hand just how fast and how strong a pitbull is when attacking. No fun, no fun at all. Glad you survived it.

i might be getting old and fat but i have fast reflexes.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm getting old too, but it's amazing how fast I can blow the brains out of a pitbull if it's on my property.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,555
Posts18,491,722
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.