Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by papat
JFK assassination things started to change. The moral compass of the country started to wobble. Then came the hippies and drug culture. All downhill from there.

It's been a long, slowly steepening, slippery slope. It may have been inevitable from the moment the signatures on the Declaration of Independence were dry. We can identify many specific steps, but if we dig into each, we can find conditions that lead to it, and those conditions are themselves steps on the path.

I think it was WWII with women having to go into the work force because the men were away at war, then not returning to what had been accepted roles afterwards. Likewise, I'm not sure all men returned to expected roles. Korea ... more of same. Maybe the first time we "lost" a war, doubted our outcome, and Vietnam furthered the slide.

Bad as some things are, I'm not sure I'd want to return to the times without them.

About 1970, when I was 7, I had an older friend ... like 75 years old. I remember him saying that we are living the good old days, something to the affect that the days people reminisce about were not so good, people have selective memories and forget the struggles. I believe he was right. There is a lot in this world to dislike, to worry about, but there is a lot of good as well. We can't go back to yesterday. We may not be able to change the momentum that will be tomorrow. We have today. Live today, make it your "good old day".

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Vietnam war!

I wonder. I know even as young as I was at the time I lost faith in our government for sending our boys into harms way for no apparent good reason. God bless those boys that had to become men awfully fast. God bless all vets.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It was the whiskey rebellion,.....or to be more correct, it was the federal government's actions that led to the whiskey rebellion and its reaction to it.

The old boss took the people's money through the tea tax. The new boss took the people's money via the whiskey tax.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
And then,..WW2 made America the brass ring. Everybody started competing to grab it.

The brass ring got grabbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 Madeline Murray O'Hare got the decline started with the elimination of prayer in public schools, then the drug culture, Woodstock generation, 50% divorce rate, acceptance of giving birth to children without marriage. There were plenty of other factors, but these brought about the moral decline responsible for the state of things in this country,

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The Bolshevik puppeteers are actively fomenting a state of permanent crisis to catalyze the “necessity” for change.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by efw
The Bolshevik puppeteers are actively fomenting a state of permanent crisis to catalyze the “necessity” for change.

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

--Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
So then, what about the supreme court, and it's rulings?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Probably the civil war an the loss of states rights..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It was the whiskey rebellion,.....or to be more correct, it was the federal government's actions that led to the whiskey rebellion and its reaction to it.

The old boss took the people's money through the tea tax. The new boss took the people's money via the whiskey tax.

My, couple greats, grandpappy would have agreed with you.
Condensing corn was the cheapest/most proftiable way to get it to market.
The nearest town was Chambersburg.
Google lists it as 87 miles and 2 hours drive.
Imagine that in the 1790's, corduroy and muddy roads with horses.
Easy shipping was critical.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Bristoe

My, couple greats, grandpappy would have agreed with you.
Condensing corn was the cheapest/most proftiable way to get it to market.
The nearest town was Chambersburg.
Google lists it as 87 miles and 2 hours drive.
Imagine that in the 1790's, corduroy and muddy roads with horses.
Easy shipping was critical.

the key word is tax. any kind of tax.

doesn't matter: for the cities, counties, states and the feds.

they all survive off of our largesse. been that way for a spell now.

and if those people that won't pay don't like it, they get a big barreled pistol their way.

it's a shame that a free country has come to this point, but it could be worse i suppose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When women started burning their bras.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When we started to fight undeclared wars, not to win.

Korea, Viet Nam, and of course the mid east.
Hell we been there for damn near 20 years and are still fighting not to win.

Gotta wonder why---

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The changed when bill Clinton became President.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'm to tired to read the other post, however if no one said it, no fault divorce.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
It all began with Bill and Hillary Clinton and the birth of political correctness. The communists finally won.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 338reddog, 375sunrise, 35, 35WhelenNut, 264mag, 15 invisible), 924 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,894
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.