Home
Possibly I'm the one that doesn't get it, but I have to ask. Society as I remember it was generally civil. I was a small town kid and my childhood problems didn't go too far past finding someone to throw ball with or just hang out. I would take off in the morning on my bikle, ball glove or fishing rod over the handlebars. Needed to be home by dark, which seldom happened. There was nothing suspicious about an adult , stranger or otherwise, patting my head, in my estimation it was a friendly act. Our govt use to offer guns to the private citizen for heavily discounted prices in the back of magazines.
Now in this age of tattooed women, men with gauges in their ears, rings in their nipples, identity crisis between their ears that we're supposed to accept, marriage to anything you can get to an alter, mass shootings; I have to ask myself, when and how did this happen to us?
People started using gay 270’s
It started with Madeline Murray O'Hare.
Hanco, I don't think you can blame Ingwe for this.
Society is starved for attention and now there’s a million ways to get it.
I share similar thoughts. Some of it may be us getting old, but there has to be more than that.
Contractor I use at work a lot is adamant that giving women the right to vote is what set us on course for failure. He might be right.
Not so much wrong with the USA in 1945
Just possibly because we're reaping what we've sown with roughly 53 million murdered babies!!
The break-up of the family unit, two-income households, missing baby-daddies, and now social media. Social norms have been challenged aggressively since the flower children of the 60's. Mix it all together and you get Chit-Salad.
Years and years of females electing democrats by voting with their hearts and not their brains.
Look at what many years of the dems leadership has done for LA, SanFran, Chicago, etc.
It all began with Bill and Hillary Clinton and the birth of political correctness. The communists finally won.
JFK assassination things started to change. The moral compass of the country started to wobble. Then came the hippies and drug culture. All downhill from there.
Satan

The list could be quite long, but it has been a downward trend for maybe more than my adult lifetime. I've got a few reasons in mind- -

1) We have become less Godly

2) The replacement of individual charity by government welfare

3) The decline in personal responsibility leading to singles raising children without enough time, knowledge or experience, leaving at least half the children without a role model. The other half also often gets a wrong model

4) Military service is no longer respected or expected and (I think) there are fewer veterans

5) The Boy Scouts of America has become less appealing and effective in training boys to become young men

6) The erosion of respect for the everyday efforts of people in service jobs that require less education or pay less than average wages

7) The roles of men and women are no longer clear, causing confusion for the adult participants and chaos for the younger generation that is watching

8) America is more city and less country every year, diminishing the opportunity for children to learn basic agricultural skills and minimizing their sense of worth in the well-being of the family

I am so fortunate to have been able to grow up playing informal sports, riding my bike wherever and whenever I ventured, going on camping, fishing and hunting trips with my family and being almost carefree.

Knowing current events is a bucket of cold water in my face, pushing too many of my idyllic childhood memories way in the back of my consciousness, reminding me about how meaningful that CCW training is. I go out of my way to model respect and civility for my kids and expect great things from them.

I think we can all do better, especially if we listen to the wisdom of the ages and consider our actions. There will be a test.
LBJ

When women got the vote.
Originally Posted by DownWind
The break-up of the family unit, two-income households, missing baby-daddies, and now social media. Social norms have been challenged aggressively since the flower children of the 60's. Mix it all together and you get Chit-Salad.

This is part of it, but I think there has been an organized, concerted effort by the Left to destroy societal norms so that they can rebuild the society in the leftist mold. This effort has been going on for a long time, just read The Communist Manifesto, which was written in the mid 19th century. This effort picked up steam in the US in the 1960's and has been under way ever since.
Jan 20 2009
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
LBJ

well, yeah. plenty of folks are banding together to find his grave, and exhume his carcass.

beyond that, the reasons are diverse. shifting from 2wd. 841 ford powermasters to 4wd articulated skidders.

the rise of John Deere, the green machine from moline.

the army draft during the 'nam misadventure killed bodies and spirits.

the federal gov't taking over the welfare machine, and throwing out the male from the household.

females now who believe that marriage is an act of oppression. they believe it with all their heart.

nobody recieves enough incentive to work anymore. it's a waste, given the taxes and other costs.

nowadays, who's got the best model for an empire to be successful? us, europe, china, russia?

we know we can't have continental land-based wars anymore. it'd be mass destruction of the eco=system.

and there's hardly anyone at the un that i'd trust as far as i could toss a bull by the tail, even an apis bull.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Contractor I use at work a lot is adamant that giving women the right to vote is what set us on course for failure. He might be right.

One of the "conservative" women said the same thing. Maybe Laura or Ann. I agree completely.
Ralph Nader
Originally Posted by Ringman

One of the "conservative" women said the same thing. Maybe Laura or Ann. I agree completely.

most conservative leaning folks like me are hesitant to refer to us as entering the post-modern era.

that happened a long time ago, but it's picking up speed?

been to the moon a time or two, onward to mars.

we're not in kansas anymore.

the rise of the mega-cities have begun.

a general consensus of no more world war to knock down populations.(i guess there's not many heathens needing killin' anymore?).
I don't agree on the woman's vote. The nation was doing fine until after WW2.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Ralph Nader

ol ralph gave us bush the younger, instead of the inventor of the internet ol al.
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Possibly I'm the one that doesn't get it, but I have to ask. Society as I remember it was generally civil. I was a small town kid and my childhood problems didn't go too far past finding someone to throw ball with or just hang out. I would take off in the morning on my bikle, ball glove or fishing rod over the handlebars. Needed to be home by dark, which seldom happened. There was nothing suspicious about an adult , stranger or otherwise, patting my head, in my estimation it was a friendly act. Our govt use to offer guns to the private citizen for heavily discounted prices in the back of magazines.
Now in this age of tattooed women, men with gauges in their ears, rings in their nipples, identity crisis between their ears that we're supposed to accept, marriage to anything you can get to an alter, mass shootings; I have to ask myself, when and how did this happen to us?

I have more than one. Answer for you. First of all, bad stuff has been going on since the beginning of time. There have always been sociopaths, psychopaths, murders, mentally ill. There have been thieves and robbers and crooks. Lack of universal and instantaneous broadcasting and dissemination of news and information kept problems hidden, kept them local, and kept you and me isolated from whatever happened that was not within our immediate vicinity. If you didn't read page 7 of the newspaper, you wouldn't know about some random shooting half a country away. The next day, that story is gone, not in the news, and forgotten. It is not hammered over continuously 24/7 for days on end.

Let's assume you live in Texas. The gruesome stories of a serial killer like Ed Gein in Wisconsin meant nothing to you. If his story hit today, the MSM would meltdown in sensationalism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein

Just an illustration that kooks are not new. Also, in 1935, America had 150 million people. It's more than double today, and that means more psychos.

Next we need to talk about the shift from small town and rural America to Urban/suburban shift in the population. Less people in the country means less interpersonal interactions and therefore less chance for trouble. Still, bad stuff used to happen at the bars and the honky Tonks every weekend when people would get lickered up. Take the case in rural Georgia you probably never heard about. Carl Isaacs, according to people I know who working in the Corrections Department, was one evil S.O.B.

The Alday Murders[edit]
Donalsonville was the site of the second largest mass murder in Georgia history (the largest being the Woolfolk murders in 1887). On May 14, 1973, Carl Isaacs, his half brother Wayne Coleman, and fellow prisoner George Dungee escaped from the Maryland State Prison. They were later joined by Carl's younger brother, 15-year-old Billy Isaacs.[13] While en route to Florida the men came upon the Alday farm in Donalsonville. They stopped at a mobile home owned by Jerry Alday and his wife Mary, to look for gas as there was a gas pump on the property.[14]

Alday and his father Ned Alday arrived as the trailer was being ransacked and were ordered inside, then shot to death in separate bedrooms. Jerry's brother Jimmy arrived at the trailer on a tractor and he too was led inside and forced to lay on a couch, then shot. Later, Jerry's 25-year-old wife Mary arrived at the trailer as the men attempted to hide the tractor. She was restrained, while Jerry's brother Chester and uncle Aubrey arrived in a pickup truck. The criminals accosted the pair still in their truck and forced them inside the trailer where they were also shot to death. Mary Alday was raped on her kitchen table before being taken out to a wooded area miles away where she was raped again and then finally murdered.[15]

Billy Isaacs cooperated with prosecutors and received a twenty-year sentence for armed robbery.[16] Carl Isaacs, Coleman, and Dungee were tried by jury in Seminole County in 1973, convicted, and sentenced to death. All three convictions and sentences were overturned by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit in 1985, on the grounds that the pool of local jurors had been tainted by excess pretrial publicity.[17] All three defendants were re-tried in 1988 and were again convicted; however, only Carl Isaacs was sentenced to death, Coleman and Dungee receiving life sentences.

Carl Isaacs was executed on May 6, 2003, at Georgia Diagnostic and Classification State Prison in Jackson, by lethal injection.[18] At the time of his execution, aged 49, he was the longest-serving death row inmate anywhere in the USA, having spent 30 years on death row prior to execution.[19][20]

Lastly, when we are young, we are largely protected from the nasty side of the world by our elders. Who worried about mass shootings, cannibalistic psychos, or murderous escaped Cons when you were 8 years old? Even if it happened, if it wasn't in your town, nobody got worked up about it.

Lastly, there is always the copycat factor. Who shot up schools before Columbine?
Or I can just tell you the 1960's changed everything. Short and to the point.
Good points, the Cuban crises in October 62 was something I was aware of, but did not worry about, I was 18.
we know the Naked Ape is a violent species. had had to be in order to be so successful in taking over the whole planet from various competitors.

sure, things get a little aberrant at times. the news media cycle, and global reporting....everything happening at once, so to speak.

the amazon is burning. indigenous citizens wanting to keep it natural. farmers & gov't wanting to develop it for profit & benefit.

trade wars do not have to be a prelude to land-based wars. thank goodness for that. the global mega-cities are becoming a force.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Nah. We got the 16th Amendment, Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson before then.
Since 24 hour news. The news business has become very competitive in order to get viewers. Before 24 hour news we only got what the news services fed us. Everything was A OK because the only enemy they ever had was Richard Nixon.

kwg
I used to laugh at hippies in the 60s even as a child. I thought they were just harmless kooks. Now we realize they were the "foot in the door" of the whole Progressive movement intent on destroying America from within. When the radicals and Hippies got elected to Government offices, I stopped laughing,
I haven't read one thing that I thought was wrong. I especially think the 24 hour news feed kind of keeps us reved to red line on a daily basis.

I believe it was Mark Twain that said "Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them". I just have to ask if that same effort was put in to being correct what a difference that would make.

We are where we are today as a result of two things in the 60's: telling God to leave the public forum to include elementary schools, and the so-called right to abortion. Both illegal usurpations of due process from the courts preempting both the Congress and the Presidency.
The destruction of the black family via "civil rights laws" that drove the fathers out, comes in at #3 and affects us all to this day and likely far beyond.
She is still the greatest nation in the entire history of the world.[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Satan

Essentially so.
I believe that the beginning of our downfall was the advent of television. It quickly took the place of Family time. Fewer dinners together, Sunday football replaced church, and the debauchery of Hollywood was brought directly into our homes! memtb
so clearly we're into change, aka evolution.

we must pay our taxes. that's a given.

so, is there light at the end of the tunnel?

evolution, revolution, whatever change occurs.

The Hart-Celler Immigration Act of 1965, pushed hard by Jacob Javits, along with the rest of organized Jewry.
I think it started in the late 60's and early 70's.

Wished i knew why.
Originally Posted by RickyD
Satan

Essentially so.

Yep. You can phrase it that way, too. They are of their father the devil, and the lusts of their father they will do. - John 8:44-45.
Urbanization, fake Federal reserve money, social security and welfare checks. You can live as irresponsibly as you want, and you won't starve, go naked, or be out in the weather. Idle minds are the devil's workshop. It's been long relentless process that is picking up speed. There is a large percent of our population now that is incapable of taking care of themselves. They would rather die than try.
RichardAustin: The initiation of the "welfare state" with the resultant harm to families, harm to communities and harm to our nation is what I hold responsible for the downturn in our once great nation!
Fatherless families with irresponsible welfare spawn taking up drugs, guns, gangs, turning away from religion and or responsibility and said welfare rat spawn striking out "da'man" whenever possible!
I hold welfare to blame for MOST of today's societal ills and the resultant gimmee, gimmee, gimmee mentality!
Sad that our country is being destroyed by guilt ridden, ignorant liberals (of both parties!).
Frankly I have my doubts as to if "we" can ever recover from the damage done by welfare and the myriad of abhorrent "fruits", of that idiocy?
Again, sad!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
It's always been changing. When I was a kid I heard old farts ask exactly the same question, I swore I'd never do that. Yeah, we'd stay out until the street lights came on. My dad used to hitch about 30 miles to a relative's farm, stay a few days and hitch back. His parents didn't even know he was gone, figured he was staying with friends.

FDR and the new deal screwed us, and has been ever since!! Then the working man didn't notice the change creeping in, to busy working! That's how the camel got its nose in the tent! Now it's up to us to kick it in the face, and chase it out!
I'm with VarmintGuy......... The Great Society programs, AKA welfare for all, have pretty much destroyed what was once known as "Work Ethic". Fatherless families with mom being married to the government really just turn out more of the same, usually. Along with the MSM crying over the poor, oppressed people. If both political parties were really concerned about improving things our major cities wouldn't have been turning into the chitholes they are for the last 4 or 5 decades. Government dependency is becoming rampant and yet politicians promise everything, deliver nothing, and then blame it on someone or something else. Then walk away fat and happy and untouchable. Like I always say: " Welcome to the Great Society".
1865, when States lost their (significant) rights.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Yes.....when God was taken out our schools, Satan moved in, and we've gone downhill ever since.

Also, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Affirmative Action, school integration, The Great Society, and all the welfare programs that ensued, did not help the bring the Black folks up to the level of Whites, as they were advertised as they were going to do. Instead, it brought many Whites down to the level of Blacks, ruined the Black family, and instilled in the majority of Blacks as sense of entitlement, that has actually done more harm than good to people of all colors.
A severe and epidemic Marx/Engels infection of the education system from K through Phd. Invaded every walk of life, business, politics, press, justice, government, finance and now is creeping into the military command structure. No? Ask yourself, "what do all these people who shape policy, opinion, and make the very fabric of our lives ALL have in common"? Public school education and higher education! Am I against the spreading of knowledge through education? Certainly not, I'm against brainwashing by institutions intended to educate not indoctrinate. It began slowly with the birth of the international communist movement and gained speed and momentum after WW II.
Started when both parents had to work to maintain the middle class.
We turned our children over to the commies (started back in the 50's)
Education became indoctrination, and still is.
People were/ are so concerned with being middle or upper class, that we sacrificed our future.

He's right
They belong in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant. whistle
Not when but how.

What does, "Be fruitful and multiply" mean. It means having more than two kids. WHite women all looking for that carreer and chit, blacks, Hispanics and Arabs are F/UC/KI/N/G us into the minority.
It was mostly caused by the womens movement/feminism/birth control pills/ the sexual revolution. This produced independent women who were no longer responsible to their husbands/ family resulting in the mass breakdown of the family unit . That combined with welfare resulted in many children raised by irresponsible sluts with no responsible father figure to guide them and here we are. Pretty simple really. There was hardly anybody who was raised in a single parent home when I was a kid. In fact, not one of the kids I went to school with had parents that were divorced and they all respected and more importantly feared the disciplinary actions of their fathers should they get out of line.
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Yes.....when God was taken out our schools, Satan moved in, and we've gone downhill ever since.

Also, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Affirmative Action, school integration, The Great Society, and all the welfare programs that ensued.

I think you are close and I agree with most of that also.

And America is chock full of Godless and non- God fearing people. Also lack of morals & values. Folks don’t go to Church and don’t take their kids to Church either. Also no accountability. Kids today are taught that there are no consequences for their actions.

And they are being force fed PC & LGBT Bullschitt in our schools. They re-write our History and teach them nothing about God or normal families.

And the Hippies / Commie lovers of the 60’s are running the Govt.

The America we were once proud of and loved is headed for the Schitter if we continue down this current path of destruction.

Just my two cents worth.
TV as a activity/ baby sitter.
Lbj,s great society.
The birth control pill.
Lowering the voting age to 18
End of the draft.
Roe v wade.
Mtv and its exposure of pop society.
Bill clinton
Video games as a activity/ babysitter.
Onset of the vicarious internet and smart phone life
Obama/ black jesus

All in my convoluted way of thinking in alot more detail on each.

Dont fugging matter...
If the Liberal socialist Democrats get control of all 3 branches for 1 or 2 terms and get a majority on the scotus.
This country will be done.....

All of the above is either significant causes or significant symptoms or milestones. We are all pretty much in agreement. Now, what to do?

Prettty much. And it all began to get traction with the sexual revolution.
that generation you refer to just survived the depression and were grateful for the post war blessings. the ones since are spoiled fuggen brats who haven't had to deal with adversity on a huge scale. we need a good country wide crisis to get our heads back together.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing?

When did the USA Change?

When a common credo "I'll do it" went to "Someone should do something" it was the beginning of the end. And the motto "Someone else should do something" is where the USA is now.
So......someone else (the communists) are now doing something.

Get used to it..............or get involved personally. There is no 3rd choice.

Not so much wrong with the USA in 1945

No, but they raised some fuct up kids afterwards and now we're in the 3rd generation of degeneracy.

Yes but that is when women left the home to work and it has been down hill ever since. 2. When the Supreme Court ruled that each county could no longer send a Senator to state house but also must be on population, checks and balance was lost. You can see the results.(not good) Cheers NC
It started with no fault divorce.
It started with Honest Abe, and lost States Rights. miles
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
All of the above is either significant causes or significant symptoms or milestones. We are all pretty much in agreement. Now, what to do?

I'd add the drug culture and high taxes (makes two incomes more necessary) but you are absolutely right. The posters have identified the causes.

What can we do about it?
It started a long time ago. Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson started really moving the ball, then came FDR and WWII. From my POV, things really changed between the JFK assassination and the end of Vietnam. That is where we (USA) crested the hill and started going downhill very quickly. I see some signs things are changing back around but way too slowly to be back to "normal" before my demise. I am not trying to be negative or fatalistic, but I don't see even an 80% reversal in 20 years and I will be long gone by then. I pray for our nation, our children and their children daily. Well, the rest of the world, too, but they need to at least help their own cause.

Popular theory along with Roe vs Wade.

With the stand up and testify, holier than thou type church folk. (Hear it personally,
I'm there, just not looking for human attention)

I disagree.

Had the changes not started earlier, those two things could have not happened.
In the 40's O'Hare would have been told to sit down and shut up. Ostracized even.
There wouldn't have been public discussion of abortion.

Attitudes had to have changed before those events were possible.
1776! Our country has been changing since the inception, We've been through good and bad times. Each generation does things a little different than the previous and the older generation always thinks the world is falling apart. Everything runs in cycles. The pendulum swings one way for a while, then back the other. Things have been far worse than today. The problems aren't any different, just better known. All of the bad things complained about aren't new, and have often been much worse.
Ketchup in a plastic jar.
Dont know all the answers but
This afternoon 2 kids came down the drainage behind the house with 2 bottle rockets. One didnt go off other barely popped. They were working over anthills. Remember when we hoodlums all had firecrackers rockets, and m80s? They were illegal even in the 50s, but available last 4th the neighbor set a fire with Roman candles, got charged with arson. And he was drunk
Remember the movie meet me in st Louis where it was expected
Point being culture has been forced to change and not always for better
Democrats are calling for burning down the republican party with no survivors. On cnn today.

This. She is the reason prayer was taken out of schools in the 60's. This country has gone down hill since.

The world is getting better, not worse. Shut off the news for a while and go shoot some guns:

Too many hippies smoking dope in the sixties. It turned more than half of them into liberals.
Any time the liberals get into power the country slips farther away from the constitution.
Forced funding of what a majority of people once viewed as depravity, laziness and immorality.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

The world is getting better, not worse. Shut of the news for a while and go shoot some guns:

I have referenced that several times.

It dont seem to stick.

Simple really:

• long hair
  • the Beatles
  • jazz music
How many years are into the dont spank your kid mentality? Than social media...
The further we get from an agrarian society, the more disgusting things will get. In an agrarian society, folks are too busy an too tired to get caught up in all this garbage. In addition, God was central in people’s lives. Churches are on the rocks and society gets weirder by the day.
Yeah....they was busy screwing sheep......
Originally Posted by JMR40
1776! Our country has been changing since the inception, We've been through good and bad times. Each generation does things a little different than the previous and the older generation always thinks the world is falling apart. Everything runs in cycles. The pendulum swings one way for a while, then back the other. Things have been far worse than today. The problems aren't any different, just better known. All of the bad things complained about aren't new, and have often been much worse.

I think there's a lot of truth in that. Also the question, as originally stated, can't really be answered accurately because it lumps too many things together that don't necessarily belong. Tattoos and piercings may not be something you like or find to be in good taste, but they don't mean the person wearing them is in any way bad or immoral. Mass shootings are naturally a whole different matter, and really shouldn't be lumped in with the former if we are really trying to find answers.

There is no way to keep things the same for very long in a growing society, not if that society is to be in any way free. Every generation muddles it's way through in the way it thinks best, trying to adapt to an ever changing world. Every generation makes its share of mistakes, too.
I don't see things as hopeless, by any means. There are plenty of good things going on in the world, not just the bad stuff that gets focused on so much in the media.

It seems like maybe every generation feels like they are the last ones to kinda get it right, and the next one is screwinf it all up. Maybe that's why the "end times" thing had been going on for so long, everyone thinks that without them around, it all over. Yet somehow things carry on.
Used to be a Wealthy country to plans for its, people, providing and protecting them, best Military force.strict migration law so the nations wealth could be properly manage.

All that i have listed above are now in reverse.
I'm not going to go back and read all of the previous posts so please forgive me if someone has already mentioned this.
The change began when we were stupid enough to give women and those not paying taxes the vote. You should have to provide a property tax receipt to vote.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

The world is getting better, not worse. Shut off the news for a while and go shoot some guns:

Somebody needs to ask that old hippie how many drug addicts were schittin' on the streets of San Francisco 30 years ago.
NVhntr You are exactly correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The liberals and democrats only plan to protect and enrich themselves.
Originally Posted by HawkI
Forced funding of what a majority of people once viewed as depravity, laziness and immorality.

That's definitely some truth.
My dad thought it was the election of JFK.

Happening as a result of us, as a nation, turning our back on God. All of the other things mentioned are just symptoms of that. How do we fix it? See my signature line...

John
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Just possibly because we're reaping what we've sown with roughly 53 million murdered babies!!

immorality carries a lot of blame for where this country has gone.
Pretty obvious we've all thought about it. Our moral decay is probably grounded in more than one simple solution, but there's no denying a lack of religion and disregard for personal responsibility is part of the catalysis. Thanks to all who shared their thoughts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ PRECISELY !
Social Media 100%
Vietnam war!
Whatever, and when ever, the same thing has happened to Canada. It all started before the internet.
Too much RuPaul and not enough John Wayne.
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Happening as a result of us, as a nation, turning our back on God. All of the other things mentioned are just symptoms of that. How do we fix it? See my signature line...

John

Yep

You nailed it.

DF
Always loved this scene, a lot of truth in it.

Originally Posted by papat
JFK assassination things started to change. The moral compass of the country started to wobble. Then came the hippies and drug culture. All downhill from there.

It's been a long, slowly steepening, slippery slope. It may have been inevitable from the moment the signatures on the Declaration of Independence were dry. We can identify many specific steps, but if we dig into each, we can find conditions that lead to it, and those conditions are themselves steps on the path.

I think it was WWII with women having to go into the work force because the men were away at war, then not returning to what had been accepted roles afterwards. Likewise, I'm not sure all men returned to expected roles. Korea ... more of same. Maybe the first time we "lost" a war, doubted our outcome, and Vietnam furthered the slide.

Bad as some things are, I'm not sure I'd want to return to the times without them.

About 1970, when I was 7, I had an older friend ... like 75 years old. I remember him saying that we are living the good old days, something to the affect that the days people reminisce about were not so good, people have selective memories and forget the struggles. I believe he was right. There is a lot in this world to dislike, to worry about, but there is a lot of good as well. We can't go back to yesterday. We may not be able to change the momentum that will be tomorrow. We have today. Live today, make it your "good old day".

Tom
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Vietnam war!

I wonder. I know even as young as I was at the time I lost faith in our government for sending our boys into harms way for no apparent good reason. God bless those boys that had to become men awfully fast. God bless all vets.
It was the whiskey rebellion,.....or to be more correct, it was the federal government's actions that led to the whiskey rebellion and its reaction to it.

The old boss took the people's money through the tea tax. The new boss took the people's money via the whiskey tax.
And then,..WW2 made America the brass ring. Everybody started competing to grab it.

The brass ring got grabbed.
+1 Madeline Murray O'Hare got the decline started with the elimination of prayer in public schools, then the drug culture, Woodstock generation, 50% divorce rate, acceptance of giving birth to children without marriage. There were plenty of other factors, but these brought about the moral decline responsible for the state of things in this country,
The Bolshevik puppeteers are actively fomenting a state of permanent crisis to catalyze the “necessity” for change.
Originally Posted by efw
The Bolshevik puppeteers are actively fomenting a state of permanent crisis to catalyze the “necessity” for change.

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

--Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

So then, what about the supreme court, and it's rulings?
Probably the civil war an the loss of states rights..
It was the whiskey rebellion,.....or to be more correct, it was the federal government's actions that led to the whiskey rebellion and its reaction to it.

The old boss took the people's money through the tea tax. The new boss took the people's money via the whiskey tax.

My, couple greats, grandpappy would have agreed with you.
Condensing corn was the cheapest/most proftiable way to get it to market.
The nearest town was Chambersburg.
Google lists it as 87 miles and 2 hours drive.
Imagine that in the 1790's, corduroy and muddy roads with horses.
Easy shipping was critical.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

My, couple greats, grandpappy would have agreed with you.
Condensing corn was the cheapest/most proftiable way to get it to market.
The nearest town was Chambersburg.
Google lists it as 87 miles and 2 hours drive.
Imagine that in the 1790's, corduroy and muddy roads with horses.
Easy shipping was critical.

the key word is tax. any kind of tax.

doesn't matter: for the cities, counties, states and the feds.

they all survive off of our largesse. been that way for a spell now.

and if those people that won't pay don't like it, they get a big barreled pistol their way.

it's a shame that a free country has come to this point, but it could be worse i suppose.
When women started burning their bras.
When we started to fight undeclared wars, not to win.

Korea, Viet Nam, and of course the mid east.
Hell we been there for damn near 20 years and are still fighting not to win.

Gotta wonder why---
The changed when bill Clinton became President.
I'm to tired to read the other post, however if no one said it, no fault divorce.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
It all began with Bill and Hillary Clinton and the birth of political correctness. The communists finally won.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire