Campfire Ranger
G
Just a heads up to anyone in New Jersey who isn't aware:

https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...-confiscated-via-new-red-flag-law-in-nj/

Retired cat herder.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some will find the taking of their self-defense capability a real hard pill to swallow and may act out. So the liberals can then yell, "See, we told you!".

Red flags are very, very bad for America.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So every millennial with an Instagram account now has a red flag.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
No they don’t. But if you call them in they could. Oops sorry for thinking like a Democrat. I’ll say two hail Marie’s . Ed k

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Mad girlfriends and wives will soon realize the power and leverage in this. No judge in his right mind would refuse to uphold a red flag confiscation, much like emergency protective / domestic violence orders.

There WILL be institutional abuse of red flag laws, just a matter of time.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another great gun law in New Jersey, almost as ridiculous as the law that states you can only go from your house to your hunting location or range with no deviations or stops. This means you can't stop for gas, food, take a piss or pick a friend up. Unbelievable!

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
In order to end a final order, the original petitioner or the person who had to surrender their firearms can submit a new form to terminate the order. A hearing is then scheduled to evaluate the request before a judge. If the person who surrendered their firearms is making the request without the support of the original petitioner for their removal, they bear the burden of proof to show they are no longer a risk to themselves or others."

In other words you are guilty until proven innocent!

Questions:

1. Does the gun owner get to try to counter the allegations BEFORE they confiscate the guns (or does the gun owner even know about the "due proess/"

2. Are the LEOs required to keep the guns in good condition, no throwing them in a pl=ile, letting them get rusty, etc.?

Anyone know?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Sako76
Another great gun law in New Jersey, almost as ridiculous as the law that states you can only go from your house to your hunting location or range with no deviations or stops. This means you can't stop for gas, food, take a piss or pick a friend up. Unbelievable!

Just gotta love that "common sense gun control".

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Don't look now but "infringement" of your rights is coming!

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Some will find the taking of their self-defense capability a real hard pill to swallow and may act out. So the liberals can then yell, "See, we told you!".

Red flags are very, very bad for America.
VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY bad for America... And they need to be litigated out of existence at the SCOTUS PRONTO!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by auk1124
Mad girlfriends and wives will soon realize the power and leverage in this. No judge in his right mind would refuse to uphold a red flag confiscation, much like emergency protective / domestic violence orders.

There WILL be institutional AND GOVERNMENTAL abuse of red flag laws, just a matter of time.
And time is getting damned SHORT!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Freedom-loving gun owners are going to be more than a hell of a lot butthurt if someone not so politely asks for their guns, after pushing their door in with a battering ram. America is headed down a dark road.

LOL
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
In order to end a final order, the original petitioner or the person who had to surrender their firearms can submit a new form to terminate the order. A hearing is then scheduled to evaluate the request before a judge. If the person who surrendered their firearms is making the request without the support of the original petitioner for their removal, they bear the burden of proof to show they are no longer a risk to themselves or others."

In other words you are guilty until proven innocent!

Questions:

1. Does the gun owner get to try to counter the allegations BEFORE they confiscate the guns (or does the gun owner even know about the "due proess/"

2. Are the LEOs required to keep the guns in good condition, no throwing them in a pl=ile, letting them get rusty, etc.?

Anyone know?

Here is the process. It is pretty much like a protective order and they are pretty much the same, with some minor differences, everywhere.

There will be an affidavit made that the person is an imminent danger. A petition for an ex parte order will be prepared based upon the affidavit. That will usually be hand delivered to the judge like a search warrant would be. The judge will consider the petition and the affidavit and if granted, issue the temporary order and set a hearing within 14 days. The order will be served and presumably the firearms confiscated. Then at the hearing the merits of the case will be heard with the accused given the chance to call witnesses, present evidence, impeach evidence and cross examine witnesses. After that hearing a decision will be made by the judge to grant a red flag order or not. If he decides not to, the matter is over and the firearms are returned. If he grants it, then it will be in effect for a year or so from what I’ve seen in most places during which time from what I’ve seen the firearms will be stored or given to family members. At the end of that year, it will expire and the firearms returned. The state or the complainant can petition to have it extended one more time for another year with the person affected given the chance to contest that and have another hearing. Only one extension can be granted and will be considered.

Last edited by JoeBob; 08/30/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I doubt that we'll see many red flag petitions denied until such time (if ever) as these laws are challenged & get a SCOTUS decision on constitutionality.

MM

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I doubt that we'll see many red flag petitions denied until such time (if ever) as these laws are challenged & get a SCOTUS decision on constitutionality.

MM

Depends on the jurisdiction. Judges have opportunities to count votes every time they take the bench.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The East Coast & the Left Coast states, along with any other highly or mostly blue states will be where most accusations come, & in those states, few will be denied.

Likely a little better scenario in highly red states.

MM

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Wham, you just got elected Judge. Doesn't matter what jurisdiction. A case comes before you: Citizen X's guns have been red-flagged. At the hearing, Witness for the govt. is Citizen X's girlfriend. She testifies that Citizen X has been threatening to shoot up a McDonald's, threatening to shoot her, threatening to shoot her family and then kill himself. Says he sits there all night long cleaning an AR over and over, mumbling about how everyone is out to get him but he is gonna make all of them pay.

Citizen X testifies in his defense: girlfriend is mad because he won't take her on vacation and he has threatened to leave her, but nothing else. He says all of her testimony is BS. He admits to owning a confiscated AR and a thousand rounds of ammo. Says he got a good deal on bulk ammo and he likes to go to the range.

Alright Judge, what you gonna do? This is a simplistic scenario but I think we all know what the Judge is gonna do: err on the side of caution. The side of caution is confiscation. Always will be...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by whelennut
Don't look now but "infringement" of your rights is here coming!

fixt

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wham, you just got elected Judge. Doesn't matter what jurisdiction. A case comes before you: Citizen X's guns have been red-flagged. At the hearing, Witness for the govt. is Citizen X's girlfriend. She testifies that Citizen X has been threatening to shoot up a McDonald's, threatening to shoot her, threatening to shoot her family and then kill himself. Says he sits there all night long cleaning an AR over and over, mumbling about how everyone is out to get him but he is gonna make all of them pay.

Citizen X testifies in his defense: girlfriend is mad because he won't take her on vacation and he has threatened to leave her, but nothing else. He says all of her testimony is BS. He admits to owning a confiscated AR and a thousand rounds of ammo. Says he got a good deal on bulk ammo and he likes to go to the range.

Alright Judge, what you gonna do? This is a simplistic scenario but I think we all know what the Judge is gonna do: err on the side of caution. The side of caution is confiscation. Always will be...

Wham, you just got elected judge. You live in a jurisdiction where fifty percent of the males have an AR, seventy five percent of households have some kind of firearm and 2,000 rounds is just enough for a couple afternoons at the river. Deer season is coming soon and you know that the state rifle association will want the stats of all the red flags you’ve granted. There are no social media posts backing her assertions. No evidence of drug use. And a clean criminal record and no mental health issues.

You don’t want an opponent in the next election who says that you aren’t concerned enough with second amendment rights. Now what do you do?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Wham, you just got elected judge. You live in a jurisdiction where fifty percent of the males have an AR, seventy five percent of households have some kind of firearm and 2,000 rounds is just enough for a couple afternoons at the river. Deer season is coming soon and you know that the state rifle association will want the stats of all the red flags you’ve granted. There are no social media posts backing her assertions. No evidence of drug use. And a clean criminal record and no mental health issues.

You don’t want an opponent in the next election who says that you aren’t concerned enough with second amendment rights. Now what do you do?

If I think there is a remote chance that the guy may go on a shooting spree, I look for evidence to support that. And then I confiscate, basing my decision on, and carefully citing, whatever evidence I can hang my hat on to support confiscation. And when the gun lobby starts fussing I tell them Sorry, but I gotta go by the evidence, and the evidence was __________. Cause I am a Judge and am sworn to apply the law to the evidence and if you want a different outcome you need to fuss at the legislature and not me, and blah blah blah.

Happens every single day with domestic violence petitions (many of which can temporarily ban possession of firearms if granted) in every jurisdiction in the US.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,366 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,866
Posts18,478,673
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.