Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well, years ago I bought a chit ton of Nosler Partition seconds in 308 cal and 150 gr, I used to load them for an old friend, I called a couple weeks ago to see if he'd be needing any ammo loaded for the upcoming season, he said he'd given his 308 to a son in another state, kept his scope and mounted it on the same kind of rifle but in 243, the old guy said the 308's recoil was beginning to bother him.

Now on to yesterday, last week I ordered a hundred Starline 308 cases, I have the better part of an 8# jug of CFE-223, looked on Hodgdons sight and loaded 51 grains and hit the chrono, 2681, loaded 52 grains, 2720, nice, loaded three more at 52 grains, averaged 2716 fps from the REPR's 16 inch barrel, loaded 10 and went to bed, this morning before the storm I hit the bags, 5 round group went a bit over an inch, twisted a little elevation and hammered the 300 yard gong plenty tight for hunting.

Loaded the rest of the new brass with the load using Rem 9 1/2 mag primers, col at 2.800 inch, I really like the Starline brass, good thick and heavy, I think this load will be excellent for rural banging around the farm, as well as SD work, BTW, brass landed less than 5 feet in a nice neat pile while on one knee shooting through the chrono.

Glad I also bought a lot of the partition seconds in 243 cal and 100grains too, looks like the old man may be needing some of those now.

Trump Won!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Well, years ago I bought a chit ton of Nosler Partition seconds in 308 cal and 150 gr, I used to load them for an old friend, I called a couple weeks ago to see if he'd be needing any ammo loaded for the upcoming season, he said he'd given his 308 to a son in another state, kept his scope and mounted it on the same kind of rifle but in 243, the old guy said the 308's recoil was beginning to bother him.

Now on to yesterday, last week I ordered a hundred Starline 308 cases, I have the better part of an 8# jug of CFE-223, looked on Hodgdons sight and loaded 51 grains and hit the chrono, 2681, loaded 52 grains, 2720, nice, loaded three more at 52 grains, averaged 2716 fps from the REPR's 16 inch barrel, loaded 10 and went to bed, this morning before the storm I hit the bags, 5 round group went a bit over an inch, twisted a little elevation and hammered the 300 yard gong plenty tight for hunting.

Loaded the rest of the new brass with the load using Rem 9 1/2 mag primers, col at 2.800 inch, I really like the Starline brass, good thick and heavy, I think this load will be excellent for rural banging around the farm, as well as SD work, BTW, brass landed less than 5 feet in a nice neat pile while on one knee shooting through the chrono.

Glad I also bought a lot of the partition seconds in 243 cal and 100grains too, looks like the old man may be needing some of those now.

Well, i dont see where the problem is. Is this one of those there rhetorical questions?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good story, gunner. And good on you for continuing to see to the elder friend.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
a shame to dump; the 308, one could have went lighter bullets and lighter loads. Folks flat forget about that.

That said, there isn't much that walks that I wouldn't use a 243 on with good bullets like an 80 ttsx.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
a shame to dump; the 308, one could have went lighter bullets and lighter loads. Folks flat forget about that.

That said, there isn't much that walks that I wouldn't use a 243 on with good bullets like an 80 ttsx.

Hmm. That has me thinking about my new 6mm.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Well, i dont see where the problem is. Is this one of those there rhetorical questions?

LOL, no sir, I was surprised at how quick a damn good utility load came together from left over components, just wanted to share the load, only 2716 yes, but I think a 150 npt at that speed would be hell on deer, pigs, black bear and a pretty good barrier defeater for sd purposes around a rural home and farm, really liking that Starline 308 brass buddy.

Thanks LD, he's the same old gent that called me up to shoot a wild pig trying to get in his henhouse a year or so ago, got to see what a 155gr Scenar did on clean flesh and bone.

Rost, also the same older guy I talked off the 180 gr loads for his 308 years ago, he's nearing 80 years old, guess the 150's I had loaded him iirc around 2600 from his 22" barreled bolt gun were too much, I believe the 100gr partitions at an easy 2700 will serve the old gent well, hell, I hope I can make it to 80 years, I also admire the old guy for gathering his gear and still wanting to be part of the crew when hunting season comes, it would probably be really easy for a lesser man to keep his old bones home by the fire that time of year. smile

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Very, very true. 125 gr Accubonds are going in mine this year. Bet they'll work for Old Greer Co. deer.

Gunner, good on ya, pard!

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Gunner,

Reloading's a lot like cooking.

Use quality ingredients and it's easy to make something great.

If you have crap ingredients, you might be able to make something acceptable, but it will take a lot of work.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Can't think of a big game animal I've taken that a 150 NPT started at 2716 wouldn't have worked dandy. Well done.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Gunner,

Reloading's a lot like cooking.

Use quality ingredients and it's easy to make something great.

If you have crap ingredients, you might be able to make something acceptable, but it will take a lot of work.

Awesome post as. Gunner, ive been buying a lot of starline brass lately too. Its great stuff my friend. One of the reasons i first started using it was because of the article written about it for the 6.5 creedmoor. They loaded it up 15 times with no failures. My experience with that same brass was 10 times before the primer pockets were on the verge of being too loose. No need to aneal it, if the primer pockets wear out first. You should try sig sauer brass, its just about as good as the starline. My ar10 308 loves the stuff.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

LOL, no sir, I was surprised at how quick a damn good utility load came together from left over components, just wanted to share the load, only 2716 yes, but I think a 150 npt at that speed would be hell on deer, pigs, black bear and a pretty good barrier defeater for sd purposes around a rural home and farm, really liking that Starline 308 brass buddy.

Thanks LD, he's the same old gent that called me up to shoot a wild pig trying to get in his henhouse a year or so ago, got to see what a 155gr Scenar did on clean flesh and bone.

Rost, also the same older guy I talked off the 180 gr loads for his 308 years ago, he's nearing 80 years old, guess the 150's I had loaded him iirc around 2600 from his 22" barreled bolt gun were too much, I believe the 100gr partitions at an easy 2700 will serve the old gent well, hell, I hope I can make it to 80 years, I also admire the old guy for gathering his gear and still wanting to be part of the crew when hunting season comes, it would probably be really easy for a lesser man to keep his old bones home by the fire that time of year. smile

Oh I get it. Was just reminding folks... 125 or 110 and slow speeds, varmint bullets then act like normal CC bullets... 80 Nosler ballistic tip out of a 243 at 1700 fps works wonders, the guys I hunt with laugh, they said it sounds like a sick bottle rocket when we used to shoot that load before the 300/221 and 950fps 194 lehighs and a suppressor came along

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks SOTG, it remains my pleasure, I have to wonder with the chit gens coming up behind us if anyone will be available to give us a hand were we able to make 80 and still want to hunt, I'm going with slim to none at this point ; ]

You bet AS, good ingredients make for some fine components, and good to hear Boomer, I've often wondered about medium speed lighter weight partitions on game.

Thanks BSA, I may try some Sig if I loosen up this Starline, pretty mild book load, maybe it'll last.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Oh I get it. Was just reminding folks... 125 or 110 and slow speeds, varmint bullets then act like normal CC bullets... 80 Nosler ballistic tip out of a 243 at 1700 fps works wonders, the guys I hunt with laugh, they said it sounds like a sick bottle rocket when we used to shoot that load before the 300/221 and 950fps 194 lehighs and a suppressor came along

I would have rec'd ne of the lighter Barnes monos had I known the rifle was bothering the old Gent, I already have him some 100gr partitions for his 243 ready to zero. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

pOWDER v

gunner, FYI.

Powder Valley has Starline brass on sale, plus free shipping over $149.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks SOTG, it remains my pleasure, I have to wonder with the chit gens coming up behind us if anyone will be available to give us a hand were we able to make 80 and still want to hunt, I'm going with slim to none at this point ; ]

You bet AS, good ingredients make for some fine components, and good to hear Boomer, I've often wondered about medium speed lighter weight partitions on game.

Thanks BSA, I may try some Sig if I loosen up this Starline, pretty mild book load, maybe it'll last.

Gunner, that starline will serve you well. I like the stuff, but i run it hard. I was just remembering how you like your loads though. Now i understand, if you are loading them light for your friend. They will last a very long time. Good on you for looking out for your buddy too.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for the brass hit LD, appreciate it. smile

BSA, no, the starline brass I'm running a book load in is in my REPR, 150gr NPT's at 2715, I loaded some 243 up for the old Gent in RP brass, it is loaded light, the 100gr NPT's for him are cracking out at 2600 fpsgrin, he wont shoot past a hundred yards, I still think they'll expand nicely and shoot through his deer or pig.

Trump Won!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (160user, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 18 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.