EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Yep. 400+ from 1500 on is pretty damn impressive. 475 ftlb’s is more than a lot of diesels from not too long ago.

My little 7 liter Windsor did pretty well.

[Linked Image]

Ya but will it last 300,000 miles pulling 10,000 lbs?

The new 7.3 has a steel crank, oil cooled pistons and 4 bolt mains with extra crossbolts........

Probably. Splayed four bolt mains, forged steel crank, H beam rods, ARP nuts and bolts, hydraulic roller cam, etc. And it never spins above 5500 rpm. That said, I won't pulling a trailer in my Mach 1. Who knows if the new Ford will go 300K until it does I suppose. I do like their steer back towards a strong gas engine.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yep.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'm into basics. 2005 long bed F-150, Essex 4.2 liter V6, 5 speed stick. They run a lot better than you would expect and are widely considered to be the best F-150 motor Ford ever built. I've had two of them.

That’s what I have in my truck. An ‘07 longbed single cab stick. 175,000 miles and never been to a mechanic. Doesn’t pull much though. I pull my aluminum bay boat to the lake 10 minutes away, but that’s about all she’s good for as far as pulling. She’s a pig in the mud too but she’s lasted this long and has gotten the job done. Some day I hope to have a good enough excuse to buy a super duty.

300 straight six is the best gas truck engine Ford's ever made.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed- that stroked Windsor is nice.

Good luck getting it 50 state approved. smile

Hoping Ford hits a home run with it. They need some help catching up with the LS motors.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have 6- 6.0 GM's in pickups and vans. The youngest has 100,000. The oldest has 354,000 miles right now. Uses no oil between changes. Buddy has a 3500 express van with 500,000+ with no work.

Have an 8.1l in a GMC. Talk about a badass gasser, sumbitch pulls like a freight train. I have 2 duramax's and the 8.1l puts them to shame.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I'm into basics. 2005 long bed F-150, Essex 4.2 liter V6, 5 speed stick. They run a lot better than you would expect and are widely considered to be the best F-150 motor Ford ever built. I've had two of them.

That’s what I have in my truck. An ‘07 longbed single cab stick. 175,000 miles and never been to a mechanic. Doesn’t pull much though. I pull my aluminum bay boat to the lake 10 minutes away, but that’s about all she’s good for as far as pulling. She’s a pig in the mud too but she’s lasted this long and has gotten the job done. Some day I hope to have a good enough excuse to buy a super duty.

Having put a bunch of miles on one......I won’t/can’t disagree.

My v10 is making a run though!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 6- 6.0 GM's in pickups and vans. The youngest has 100,000. The oldest has 354,000 miles right now. Uses no oil between changes. Buddy has a 3500 express van with 500,000+ with no work.

Have an 8.1l in a GMC. Talk about a badass gasser, sumbitch pulls like a freight train. I have 2 duramax's and the 8.1l puts them to shame.

Bold talk!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by jfruser
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I'll never buy another truck that isn't turbocharged. Whats not to like about 20-24 mph highway, ability to tow 10K and quiet and very peppy... I love my Ecoboost

Longevity. See below

Originally Posted by jalopnik
David called Dr. Andy Randolph of ECR Engines (you’ll remember him as a NASCAR engine expert), who pretty much agreed with our guesses.

“With average lighter load as far as what the engine could potentially do, temperatures go down, pressures go down, wear of all the components go down,” he said. “When you boost an engine, you’re increasing the internal pressures and temperatures... you’re working the engine really hard.”

I like to keep my autos a long while. Turbo+Diesel has a long track record of longevity. Turbo+Gasoline, not so much.

If Turbo+Deisel is not on the menu because I can't afford it, I'll go for increased displacement before hooking up a turbo to a gasser.

I think one of the biggest problems turbo + gasoline has is people who don't let them warm up or cool down. A goodly share of the folks who buy a diesel understand the warm-up/cool-down. People who've driven gassers forever just jump in, mash the gas and shut down when the shifter hits "P". Turbos should have the engine @ full operating temp before running peak boost. Turbos no matter what the fuel need some idle time to cool down as well. Current and previous diesel pickups, on road-trips I don't shut down to fill fuel, especially if I've been towing anything. I don't have Pyro/EGT gauges so I just let it idle a bit when I get where I'm going.

I agree. Vast majority of drivers, even drivers of pickups, don't know to allow for warm up / cool down. I do such even with my NA gas engines. Get in, start it up, then attend to a few items for 30-60 sec at least. Then take off nice & easy until everything at operating temp. When I arrive, I take a minute or two to arrange things (and hopefully took it easy the last few miles), then shut it off. Thus far, in my metro area, no one has allowed me to wear out an engine before some knucklehead decides I need to buy a new auto and totals my current 10-14 year old daily driver. Not hard to do when it is 10+ YO and ~200k mi on the odo.

And even if the driver does take pains, the increased complexity is a source of failure. The intercooled turbo bits are not free and they all can break.

The auto-stop/shut down when the pickup is at a stop feature can't be good for turbos. I have no problem with one or the other features on their own. I'd never own them together.

Do the turbos keep spinning or come to an abrupt halt with some sort of braking mechanism? If they keep spinning, depleting their angular momentum, the oil that used to circulate is now stuck and sucking in turbo-generated heat while at stop. This can't be good for that volume of oil or the parts it is supposed to be lubricating.

Don't get me started (yuk-yuk). It is not good for ANY part of the engine. Oh, but they get a heavy-duty starter. Really? One with, say, a 100x better MTBF to counter the increased number of starts? How much more does that weigh & cost? And how about the battery, AC compressor, and other bits that need beefing up to keep up with the increased number of starts _and_ the cessation of compressor/alternator operation at stop? If they aren't 100x more reliable, how much to replace those items? What if hte whole start-stop system goes apey 200 miles form home and maybe decides it won;t start up again?

And then there is the big honking deal static friction. The Ford eco-boost booster claim the oil pressure is maintained during the stop-start sequence. Assume that is true and no loss of pressure occurs. Well, starting a system from stop results in the system fighting static friction, which is greater than the kinetic friction one sees in a system at motion.

One thing we have to keep in mind with the stop-start and turbo gasser deals is that these were not foisted on us because the public demanded them. They have been foisted on us so the trucks do better in teh EPA fuel efficiency tests.

"What we need is a turbo V-6 gasser in our half ton full sized pickup trucks," said no one anywhere. Turbo V-6 diesel, sure.

I'll never buy another truck that isn't turbocharged. Whats not to like about 20-24 mph highway, ability to tow 10K and quiet and very peppy... I love my Ecoboost

Longevity. See below

Originally Posted by jalopnik
David called Dr. Andy Randolph of ECR Engines (you’ll remember him as a NASCAR engine expert), who pretty much agreed with our guesses.

“With average lighter load as far as what the engine could potentially do, temperatures go down, pressures go down, wear of all the components go down,” he said. “When you boost an engine, you’re increasing the internal pressures and temperatures... you’re working the engine really hard.”

I like to keep my autos a long while. Turbo+Diesel has a long track record of longevity. Turbo+Gasoline, not so much.

If Turbo+Deisel is not on the menu because I can't afford it, I'll go for increased displacement before hooking up a turbo to a gasser.

My buddy buys 2 or 3 new Ecoboosts every year. He has been buying F550s with 6.7s up until this year too. He trades his 3.5s off at 200K. Never had a single problem. The F550s go through at least one turbo a year though. They just aren't getting enough oil or something. He is going to all gas engines in his fleet. I don't blame him.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The auto-stop/shut down when the pickup is at a stop feature can't be good for turbos. I have no problem with one or the other features on their own. I'd never own them together.

Do the turbos keep spinning or come to an abrupt halt with some sort of braking mechanism? If they keep spinning, depleting their angular momentum, the oil that used to circulate is now stuck and sucking in turbo-generated heat while at stop. This can't be good for that volume of oil or the parts it is supposed to be lubricating.

Don't get me started (yuk-yuk). It is not good for ANY part of the engine. Oh, but they get a heavy-duty starter. Really? One with, say, a 100x better MTBF to counter the increased number of starts? How much more does that weigh & cost? And how about the battery, AC compressor, and other bits that need beefing up to keep up with the increased number of starts _and_ the cessation of compressor/alternator operation at stop? If they aren't 100x more reliable, how much to replace those items? What if hte whole start-stop system goes apey 200 miles form home and maybe decides it won;t start up again?

And then there is the big honking deal static friction. The Ford eco-boost booster claim the oil pressure is maintained during the stop-start sequence. Assume that is true and no loss of pressure occurs. Well, starting a system from stop results in the system fighting static friction, which is greater than the kinetic friction one sees in a system at motion.

One thing we have to keep in mind with the stop-start and turbo gasser deals is that these were not foisted on us because the public demanded them. They have been foisted on us so the trucks do better in teh EPA fuel efficiency tests.

"What we need is a turbo V-6 gasser in our half ton full sized pickup trucks," said no one anywhere. Turbo V-6 diesel, sure.

Or you could just push the button on the dash that kills the Auto-Off feature...if you don't like it.

It ain't rocket science.

But I assume you'd have to have at a bare minimum... Driven One.... to make a knowledgeable assessment.

Nothing new at the Fire... grin (Hell there's more than a few in this very thread that are posting, thinking this thread is about the old 7.3 Powerstroke diesel engine... LOL.)

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
GMC Cyclone.

Next question please.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
GMC Cyclone.

Next question please.

Does B&W make a turnover ball for those? Schweeeet

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Probably. I am on my second one of those too.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Probably. I am on my second one of those too.

I’d probably rephrase that to “longest lasting truck engine Ford ever built”. They’re good no doubt but most guys these days wouldn’t be satisfied with a whole 220ft lb of torque.

Did have a buddy who ran one to almost 600k with absolutely no engine work. In fact the only semi major work ever done to the whole truck was a clutch at around 500k. Couldn’t be in a hurry but it would deliver you to where you wanted to go eventually.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I am seriously looking at a Class C RV. I think the new Ford 7.3 would be a good fit, depending on the tranny. The V10 is a good one as well. Currently have a 35' 5th wheel max at 14K#'s. 2014 Silverado HD SRW Duramax 4X4. For this trailer I would never consider a gas truck. Yes I paid $8K to get the diesel and the Allison tranny. One thing I have not seen folks talk about is the exhaust brake and the trannys ability to slow the rig down with out using the brakes. On the long hills out West that can be a god send. Mileage is not bad, 7 to best of 12 with the 5th wheel. Empty 13 to a high of 17. Diesels also hold their value better as well. Dealer wants my truck on a trade, offered $40K towards a 2019. I only paid $48K when I bought it. You won't get that on a gas truck. If not towing a big load then the diesels don't make that much sense.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Bold talk!

My 8.1l is in a 6500 series GMC with a Zf 6-speed manual and the duramax's are in 4500 series Chevy's with automatics so obviously gearing is a huge part of it. Like to run an 8.1l with an Allison sometime.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

My 8.1l is in a 6500 series GMC with a Zf 6-speed manual and the duramax's are in 4500 series Chevy's with automatics so obviously gearing is a huge part of it. Like to run an 8.1l with an Allison sometime.

Saw one posted locally here, 170,000+ miles and they want $8,000. Would be neat, but not at that price.

MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
8.1 L has enough power to drift a 28' U-Haul truck. Effortlessly.

Thankfully Johnnie Law wasn't around, but I had to make three lane changes in about 250 ft. ahead of rush hour traffic after making a left turn on yellow.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, anothergun, 9 invisible), 872 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,115
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.