Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree with Hawk Driver...the marketing behind the round was something else.

For the majority of hunters, it does absolutely nothing that a 7-08, 308, 260 etc won't do. Our average deer shooting in Pennsylvania is under 100yds. It has definitely taken root with many here. Most never killed anything with it...but if you shoot anything else they will tell you how great it is... Lol

To each his own. Shoot what you like and what you're happy with. But that round doesn't do anything special in the deer woods. Not super fast...not a heavy bullet...small frontal area. Not a hunting round for ME.

Actually passed on a few when I was searching for a rifle recently.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I helped two random guys kill cow elk last year that had Creeds, but other than that I doubt I'll see any this year as I rarely hunt with anyone but myself.

The one guy I do hunt with on occasion carries a WSM, so I guess that answers the question.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Again, the Hornady marketing is brought up. Was that on TV or what?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well, I don't shoot factory fodder. Ive no use for VLDS. If I revisit the Creedmoor it will likely be in .22 or 6mm. Just because. My daughter likes hers. I could get onboard with another,but wasn't thrilled with the Bergara I had.

As for camp. Put me down for the WSM. Got a nifty little 300 to put a notch or two in. A big fat Creedmoor time has all but forgotten. I suspect history will repeat itself.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I helped two random guys kill cow elk last year that had Creeds, but other than that I doubt I'll see any this year as I rarely hunt with anyone but myself.

The one guy I do hunt with on occasion carries a WSM, so I guess that answers the question.

Ahhh, BS.....

Come on now T,,,,Spill the story on the CM failures.

Just slip into your flame retardant suit with heat shielding face mask and let the story rip.

😂😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
it is a very accurate cartridge and is a good cartridge for recoil shy hunters too. but at my camp we still use mostly old Weatherby cartridges yet,maybe someday day someone will want to use a 6.5 Creedmoor ?

Last edited by pete53; 09/02/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[i][/i]
Originally Posted by SKane
For the past 5 years, I've used the 6.5 Creedmoor for deer more than all of my other stuff combined.
Probably has as much to do with refining rifle/scope/barrel etc. preference as it does chambering but I sure like practicing more with it than the 7SAUM, 300wsm, 280, 270 etc.

Some targets that have been plinked blush :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

SKane, those are some really nice deer! Especially considering how you handicapped yourself with both caliber and scope grin

I just finally got a 2.5-10-x32 MiLDOT. No real time with it yet, and initally a little unsure about low-light (pre-dawn / post dusk in heavy woods) but I think I am going to like it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't know about a Creedmoor showing up in my deer camp, but I'm pretty sure the usual 270 WSM, 7 Rem mag and 300 Win mag toting suspects who think 250 yards is a really long shot will be there. grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
300 WM should about do for deer at 250.... They're tough buggers anymore.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
300 WM should about do for deer at 250.... They're tough buggers anymore.

Just short of bullet proof.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Meanwhile my nephews, their father and I will do in deer and pigs with heavy duty cannons. (243 Win., 250 Savage, 260 Rem., 7mm08 Rem., 300 Savage, 308 Win. grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When and if I get out moose hunting this season, I'll be carrying a WSM. I have a .260 Rem. that I wanted since they were introduced by Remington in 1997. I finally bought one for myself when I retired form the Air Force last year. To date, it's the worst shooting rifle I own. If I can ever get it to shoot a consistent 3 shot group I will take it caribou hunting next season. If not, it's going bye, bye.

I don't know if I will ever own a 6.5 Creed, as my attention span on guns lately is short. I will say, the 6.5 Creedmoor was marketed like crazy. I know a lot of people that have bought rifles like the Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creed to try their hands at long range shooting. I only know of one that still has his rifle and that actively shoots it at long ranges. That guy even said he would never hunt with it over 400 yards though.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We don't have any sort of "camp". One friend took a dandy Dall Sheep w/6.5 Creedmoor in the Yukon in mid-Aug. A second will have a Christianson Arms 6.5 Creedmoor hunting deer in MT over Thanksgiving with a 300WSM as a backup. Another friend will be in MT for elk/deer shooting the lowly 270Win for both.

Friends are headed to AK for Moose in a week. 1 300Win, 1 300WSM, 1 338Win.

ND pronghorn and deer will have one friend shooting a Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor. My cousin and uncle will be using lowly 270's.

I'll be hunting with the lowly 270Win in WY and MT this fall, with a 270Win as backup. WY hunting partner is also 270ing. MT partner will likely pack either a Fieldcraft in 25-06 or Kimber Mt Ascent in 280AI.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Funny how in all these Creedmoor discussions, the 270 Win just keeps rearing its inefficient misshapen head. Quite a following. Considering there aren't any 1000 yard bullets available for it. Might be that the bulk of game is taken well short of that. I know everyone has gotten the memo. Unless you live under a rock.

If old Creedy is popping up in similar discussions in 80 or 90 years, I say good job. Considering you are the bastard child of the 30TC. Kinda like a 300 Savage improved. Momma resembled a 6.5 Carcano. Yep old Creedy done alright coming from a screwed up family like that.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been a 6.5 disciple since the 1980's. I will be hunting with a Creed this year. Since the 80's all of my big game hunting has been with a 6.5 of some ilk. I was and am the only 6.5 guy in my camp in PA when I lived there and now that I hunt with my nephew in CO. Tough to convince some people that all deer rifles start and stop with the old standbys (.270,30-06..300 Win. Mag. etc.) They all kill well if you can shoot.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
My buddy bought a new X-Bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor last year well before deer season started. We had it to the range many times getting ready for the season. It was extremely accurate and very comfortable to shoot, he bragged about it every time we got together. He showed up at deer camp with the X-Bolt and a Remington Model Seven in 7mm08 as a back-up. The only time I saw that Creed that week was when he showed it to the rest of the gang the night before opening day. He hunted with the 7mm08. Can't say he made a bad choice. My guess is I will see the Creedmoor at the range again this year and the 7mm08 in the woods. He reads too many gun articles and jumped on the wagon.

"Individual liberty depends on keeping government under control" Ronald Reagan

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Again I see the marketing hype commented upon. Where was this? I have never seen any.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Probably have a couple of both CM's and WSM's in our camps

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Again I see the marketing hype commented upon. Where was this? I have never seen any.

I suspect that positive articles in magazines and pieces on YouTube count as hype.

I did see a Hornady ad touting the .300 PRC the other day. Those skunks even had a graph, dang 'em!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1Longbow, 1936M71, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 66 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,057
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.