Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Or might title the thread "monetary value on convenience and/or impatience".

Looking at a new gotta have firearm. Local Sportsman's Warehouse has it for X dollars out the door or I can get it on the internet for about 40 dollars less, that's total cost after shipping and local FFL fee.

Buying from Sportsman's I'd have to order it in but they'll get it in store in maybe 5-6 days at no additional cost to me. Order by phone, drive over there one time, anytime between 9 AM and 9 PM 6 days/week, 10-6 on Sunday, look at it, no prob if I don't want it and if I do I can pick up some new scope mounts or bullets or whatever at the same time, and get a 5% veteran's discount on those.

From the net it's drive to the bank, get a certified check, mail it, wait 3-5 days, wait 1 to 4 days for item to ship, 3-5 days in transit (UPS doesn't move anything on weekends), drive to the local FFL dealer between 9-12 in the morning M-F, by appt. on Saturday. If it's damaged or not to spec then I have to get the dealer to ship it back at my cost and depending on the seller's return policy may or may not have a hassle there.

In this scenario, I'd just as soon pay the extra 40 bucks to SW for the straightforward nature and lack of known and possible hassles. If it was $100 difference then I'd risk the hassle of buying on the net.

Have found good deals and mostly few problems buying from gunbroker or internet dealers but I must be getting lazy in my old age. If the difference is just a few bucks (I'm not rich by any standard but $40 to me is still "just a few bucks"), often as not these days I'll deal with the local store at my convenience instead of driving here, driving there, waiting on this, waiting on that.

So, do you guys just go by bottom line in all cases or do you weigh other factors?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd rather give my money to the local guy. I just bought a new pistol and paid the LGS an extra 30.00, I was worth it IMHO.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Always buy local here. Our community has a hard time competing with the net. We are a small community and supporting all local merchants, helps keep the local economy going! Plus I always like to touch any product before purchasing.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'll usually pay a little more for convenience.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I wish you could. I buy a lot of stuff online just because it convenient. The prices are usually not much lower than the local stuff (if you can find it locally). I've had a lot of problems lately with the items not being as shown on the website and with shipping (especially the Post Office).

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Do you place a monetary value on hassle?

Only if I am causing it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, and often for less than $40.--

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

The other thing to consider is if everyone tries the "save $30 order online" path, the local guy goes out of business and then when you need those scope rings, or ammo, quickly, you don't have that option.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Time is preciou$.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
O
In this scenario, I'd just as soon pay the extra 40 bucks to SW for the straightforward nature and lack of known and possible hassles. If it was $100 difference then I'd risk the hassle of buying on the net.

H ?

Sounds to me like 40 dollars well invested. I would not even think twice about that.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Depends on what I'm buying and from whom. Got to weigh time/money/hassle/quality. Like a three person teeter-totter and nobody weighs the same.

Gasoline is generally higher closest to the Interstate highway.
How do you think 7-11 stays in business despite the higher prices?
Same with Costco and Sam's Club.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll factor in time, gasoline burned, hassle, etc. into a purchasing decision. I'll also spend more to buy from a known quantity rather than chance it with a company I'm not familiar with.

I use the amount of money I earn per hour working to convert time into money.

Last edited by gregintenn; 09/03/19.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'll pay a premium to be able to inspect the gun prior to purchase, returns are a hassle. Often you will be able to inspect several and choose the one that you prefer.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yes, I do place a value on hassle or the avoidance thereof.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Time=$$$$$$$

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear, and get what you're asking.

And it depends. If I'm buying blued steel and walnut I'll always prefer local/face to face and pay the price for it.

The local guy still gets ~$300 extra for the same AR15 I can have in a couple of days from online sources. Different deal...

Edit; My online buying is normally fast and easy. No trips to the bank. Order with a card and it's at the FFL in a couple of days. Buying from a private party is a whole nuther thing, and involves some footwork.

Last edited by johnw; 09/03/19.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Call RJ over at Al's on the Blvd. and see what he can getja one for.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Timely.....

walked into Harbor Freight to pick up a couple of items that would run like $10... two of their 4 registers were opened...

each one had over 40 people each in line...

uh yeah, I walked out the door.. they'll be open today also..

with a lot less people in there....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Time and hassle definitely have a price/cost. We bought a new camper for travel and to use at the hunt club. Old camper was a 2003 with some issues. Had thought about scrapping it, just to get rid of it and avoid any hassle. Instead, picked it up Saturday, got home at 1:00. Started cleaning it and finished the cleaning at 7:00 Saturday evening. Took some photos. Pulled it up to the storage place where I was going to display it for sale. Sunday morning put in on Craigslist at 7:20. Went outside to do some stuff. Came back in about 8:45. Five emails of people wanting to buy it. First guy said he'd come right then. Would take an hour to get to the storage place. Had cash. So, went down there. He was on time. Dickered a good bit. Sold by 10:30. I could have held out and gotten three or four others to come look. Would probably have gotten $150 more. Not worth the hassle when this guy had $100 bills and a truck to tow it right then.

I've bought guns online. Have bought them at local gun shops. If I decide I want something, will check the locals first. If they have it, sometimes they deal some.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I ALWAYS put a monetary value on hassle factor.

And it goes up exponentially when someone lazy or just plain stupid is on the other side.

have to have a sixth sense early on to know if a deal is going to get shaky or dragged out and stick to your threshold

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,329
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.