Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
When there is a question about handgun choice Glock is always the best answer.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Mike, That may be a “bit of a reach”! wink. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

mike r

I have never owned a Glock, again my single action tendencies. But I am definitely going to have to get one to try. Never heard of anyone who owned one who didn't like it. Before I got a P938 as a carry gun, I looked at a Kahr. Really well made gun, machining as nice on the inside as out and I shot it really well. The only downside was the trigger. It had a really great trigger, too good as a matter of fact. I pocket carried at the time and was afraid of putting a handgun with that nice of a trigger in my pants pocket without a safety, again probably just my years of carrying a single action.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

mike r

What do all the people who have to be one of the cool kids carry?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by andymick32
What’s the best bang for your buck.

Last year I paid $349.99 for a new S&W M&P 2.0 Compact 3.6". That's a lot of bang for the buck. Similar deals pop up regularly. Right now SOS has the .40 S&W version for $299. I don't really want another .40, but they're making it hard to avoid.

The Sig P365 really is a nice little pistol. I carry it with a 10 round magazine with a 15 round as an occasional backup.

Literally looking for something I’ll probably never shoot, but will carry at certain times.

That's a revolver - I'd consider a S&W Airweight J-frame.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by memtb
My wife loves her Sig 938. As a plus, “for a small additional fee” 😉..... a .22 RF conversion kit can be had! memtb

That P-938 is a helluva gun - I have one myself and a Wright Leather Works holster's being made even as I type this.. But as far as 'compact' goes, I think the Kahr P-9 is very slim... The smaller CM-9 is even easier to conceal..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Redneck, We have 2 Kahr CM9’s......they are “car” (pun intended) guns. They live in our vehicles as a back-up gun. I loved my little Kahr, but my wife didn’t like the trigger pull. At least for myself, it may be one of the best “naturally pointing” handguns I’ve used. I attempted a “snap” shot on a sprinting ( left to right) house cat, at night, at about 40 feet. I really thought that I had hit the d@&n thing. The impact was so close, I thought that I’d made a pass-through shot. A sprinting cat, across a narrow opening,doesn’t give time for sight alignment ....just “ point and click”! smile memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot a P365 the other day and will likely order one this week. I've been thinking about trying appendix carry on warm days when I still have to dress decent and tuck in a shirt. The manual-safety version of the 365 holds some appeal for me there.

Now with even more aplomb
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RufusG

mike r

I'm not sure of your definition of cool kids but most of the people I know who take defensive shooting seriously carry Glocks. Becoming proficient takes a lot of work for most people and high volume shooters often rate reliability as the 1st requirement. I was issued a Sig 226 and shot about 1k rounds/week for 12 years and found it very reliable but, for me, difficult to learn to shoot well and difficult to conceal.

I purchased a Glock 17 in 1987 and in less than 1k rounds was a convert for life. Many serious shooters have been converted by the shootability, relentless reliability and ease and economy of maintenance. I used a G23 for a few years then switched to G19s for EDC. Mine now have grip reductions, aggressive stipling and a few enhancements starting w/ sights.

Several of my associates are now carrying single stack Glocks and I am probably going to add one soon. We all carry at all times and train frequently and deliberately.

I chose to take your question seriously and hope you find my response sufficient.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 09/03/19.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in April I wanted a reliable, sometimes carry handgun and didn't want to spend a lot. I ended up with a S&W Shield for around $300 after a $40 rebate. Since then I've heard they can be had for a little less.

It's plenty accurate enough, easy to conceal and so far it's been completely reliable. I've put over 700 rounds of everything from cheapo Brown Bear to high end self defense stuff through it with no malfunctions. It's not my favorite gun to take to the range but for what I got it for it's worked out pretty well.

IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Was gandering around Gander World today looking at a good deal on a user Beretta Nano, but I don’t know a ton about pistols so I didn’t get it. Salesman said the Sig was their best seller. 365 model maybe? What’s the best bang for your buck. Literally looking for something I’ll probably never shoot, but will carry at certain times.

Appreciate the help

I wouldn't spend much money on a pistol you're never gonna shoot. And I suspect the "carry" part isn't going to happen either. So get some good pepper spray, or maybe a Tazer and call it good.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by dla
Was gandering around Gander World today looking at a good deal on a user Beretta Nano, but I don’t know a ton about pistols so I didn’t get it. Salesman said the Sig was their best seller. 365 model maybe? What’s the best bang for your buck. Literally looking for something I’ll probably never shoot, but will carry at certain times.

Appreciate the help

I wouldn't spend much money on a pistol you're never gonna shoot. And I suspect the "carry" part isn't going to happen either. So get some good pepper spray, or maybe a Tazer and call it good.

I’ll shoot the gun to get comfortable with it, but then it will be shot occasionally and used as a self defense gun and archery carry gun. Sorry, don’t have the coin to blow through ammo all the time and I don’t feel the need to carry every where I go. Even though in this day and age, you aren’t safe anywhere. Thanks for your $.02 though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of Ruger Lc9S's left out there. I love mine.

I paid maybe more than I should have, but I bought before the price dropped steeply.

Either theLc9S or it's ec9s clone are reliable, accurate, and user friendly.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Think of the APX Carry as a Nano 2.0, it’s basically a Nano with a slide stop lever. If you are able to get the Nano at a good price I would go with that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And really inexpensive...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought Gander was a thing of the past?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
First ever post on the Fire. Joined just to say: the idea of carrying a gun you never shoot is not good. Like, really not good.

That said, go with the Sig 365. Great to carry, and great to SHOOT.

God bless America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome to the Fire Jackstraw.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Lots of Ruger Lc9S's left out there. I love mine.

I paid maybe more than I should have, but I bought before the price dropped steeply.

Either theLc9S or it's ec9s clone are reliable, accurate, and user friendly.

Really liked the LC9S pro. May some around to see if I can find a new one.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG

mike r

I'm not sure of your definition of cool kids but most of the people I know who take defensive shooting seriously carry Glocks. Becoming proficient takes a lot of work for most people and high volume shooters often rate reliability as the 1st requirement. I was issued a Sig 226 and shot about 1k rounds/week for 12 years and found it very reliable but, for me, difficult to learn to shoot well and difficult to conceal.

I purchased a Glock 17 in 1987 and in less than 1k rounds was a convert for life. Many serious shooters have been converted by the shootability, relentless reliability and ease and economy of maintenance. I used a G23 for a few years then switched to G19s for EDC. Mine now have grip reductions, aggressive stipling and a few enhancements starting w/ sights.

Several of my associates are now carrying single stack Glocks and I am probably going to add one soon. We all carry at all times and train frequently and deliberately.

I chose to take your question seriously and hope you find my response sufficient.

mike r

Well, my question wasn't especially serious but I appreciate your detailed and personal reply.

Don't you find any contradiction between "Glock is always the best answer" and "Mine now have grip reductions, aggressive stipling and a few enhancements starting w/ sights". There have got to be choices out there for some people that don't require hacking on the grips and replacing the sights at least.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,302
Posts18,487,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.