Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
Why do neighbors allow big mean dogs to pack up and roam about? My state allows "any citizen to KILL any dangerous or vicious dog" and that is exactly what I do and my trashy neighbors know it.

Finally...a part of the world that exhibits common sense.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

M
M
Hate that young lady to to suffer that long. That is an horrible way to go. Prayers for her family.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
I had the underground fence for a male chocolate lab I had. He was a big waterhead. I did not have the system for any aggressive tendencies. I had it because the big lug wanted to go next door and eat the mother in law's cats' food and then sleep all day in her elephant ears.

Anyway, he would approach the barrier, get the warning beep, slow down and squint his eyes and just waddle on through taking the shock the whole time till out of range.

I even opted for what they call the Stubborn Dog Updrade, had a full 9volt power pack on it. lol

Just sit there and squint his eyes and sometimes just sit down. 😄 crazy

You need a real fence to keep dogs on the property. Then make sure not to ever teach your dog to jump barriers. If you can keep them from learning their fence jumping abilities in their first year, they will never discover on their own that they can climb or jump a fence. I've had dogs physically capable of climbing or jumping fences all my life, but not a one ever did. Teach a dog how to do it (like for obstacle course work) and you will never again be able to let your dog into a fenced yard. Huge mistake.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This 2 year old yellow lab I have, I put the collar on him, no squints, nothing.

I borrowed my brother in law's coon dog trainer. He has a wild ass Plott he has it set up for. I got his remote and put it on my yellow lab. No effect....couldnt even detect more than a slight flinch if anything. That was with the extra long neck probes too. I even sprayed him down with the water hose and tried it because I swore it was a junk rig. Still nothing.

I swapped it out and put it on my black male lab for a test and hit the remote button just once and he folded up and hauled ass back to the garage. Poor bastard stayed under my truck in the garage rest of the afternoon.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This 2 year old yellow lab I have, I put the collar on him, no squints, nothing.

I borrowed my brother in law's coon dog trainer. He has a wild ass Plott he has it set up for. I got his remote and put it on my yellow lab. No effect....couldnt even detect more than a slight flinch if anything. That was with the extra long neck probes too. I even sprayed him down with the water hose and tried it because I swore it was a junk rig. Still nothing.

I swapped it out and put it on my black male lab for a test and hit the remote button just once and he folded up and hauled ass back to the garage. Poor bastard stayed under my truck in the garage rest of the afternoon.

That's how I teach a new dog not to chase my chickens. It only takes a couple of times. The trick is to time it in such a way as to have the dog think that chickens have some kind of natural defense mechanism where they can shock you in the neck if you threaten them. From then on, they will give them plenty of space.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hawkeye, I have 6ft chainlink around 2 acres. I put that up mainly to keep my boys when they toddlers from going down the spring fed branch and get on a copperhead.

We leave our gates open and I had the underground wiring just under the entrance.

They were wandering out the gate. We didn't have good communication on friends and family shutting our gate.

Been looking at an automatic opener but our gate is also a wet weather stream spillway. It's somewhat complicated

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lmao

On the chickens, my female lab was getting after some penned up chickens, just harrassing them through their cage wire but it was incessant. I fixed her up with some electro education. About three times over a week I let off the cabling and let do her thing up at the coop. After the 3 rd time she retired from that pursuit. She would not even go with me up there get the eggs.
She'd look at and be me like "NFW dude there's bad Ju Ju up there, be careful"

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nmitchell
Originally Posted by murkydismal
Having dealt with an enormous number of dog issues over last 14 years in LE, I can tell you without reservation...the only good Pit-Bull is a dead Pit-Bull.

Don't bother to respond and tell me you KNOW a good one that has NEVER been an issue.

Every one of them is GOOD until they are not, and they NEVER give a warning about when they change.

I agree.

Neil

The boldface text is exactly happened to our own Roger (stxhunter) who had a nice friendly pitt bull who was never mistreated.

Until one day Petey the pitt bull tried to kill Roger. If Roger hadn't been a big guy with lots of dog experience and fighting experience in his younger days, it could have turned out a lot worse!

Up until then, I was pretty much in the "pitt bulls are not the problem owners are" camp. Now, with me having a pretty damn clear assessment of Roger (and his ability to be the alpha male in any pack), I decided that perhaps I had been wrong.

I've always been careful around pitt bulls from when I worked in a veterinary practice and had a few close calls, but I give them an even wider berth now!

Do a search for posts by stxhunter see the pictures. Personally, I like my nipples right where they are -- and unchewed! sick grin

John

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Why do neighbors allow big mean dogs to pack up and roam about? My state allows "any citizen to KILL any dangerous or vicious dog" and that is exactly what I do and my trashy neighbors know it.

Amen.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Lmao

On the chickens, my female lab was getting after some penned up chickens, just harrassing them through their cage wire but it was incessant. I fixed her up with some electro education. About three times over a week I let off the cabling and let do her thing up at the coop. After the 3 rd time she retired from that pursuit. She would not even go with me up there get the eggs.
She'd look at and be me like "NFW dude there's bad Ju Ju up there, be careful"

LOL. grin Exactly. They think chickens have a special power.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I can't think of many worse ways to die. I also can't believe, that someone didn't come out of their house and shoot some dogs.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I can't think of many worse ways to die. I also can't believe, that someone didn't come out of their house and shoot some dogs.

Watchful neighbors can become desensitized to shîtbyrd other neighbors and their goings and comings.

We have 253 acres and own everything on 'our side' of the road for 3/4 of a mile.

Across the paved road is a slice of 8 newer homes constructed in the last 5 yrs.

For a couple years, I'd come out of my garage to sound of little kids screaming in bloody terror, motorcycle drag races, redneck lottery winning couple that cusses each outher out every sat/sun afternoon.

After a few dozen times of the same chit: I have concluded that the little screaming brats are ADHD, fetal alcohol retards, and the rest is just typical redneck behavior.

It will suck for them when motorcycle drag race dipshît runs over ADHD kool aid kid and I don't respond to their shrieks.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
This nearly happen in the County where I live. An older lady went out to get her mail and her neighbor's dogs, who she saw every day, jumped her and tried to eat her alive. A passing motorist saw the mauling and came to her rescue. She lived , but needed several surgeries to put her scalp and face back together. She also had skin loss in other places. The dogs were a group of mixed breeds with a Doberman and boxer/ bulldog mix as the main leaders. They had been allowed to run free near a State Park full of deer, and had started running deer every night and killing them when they could. This taste for killing and blood transferred eventually to humans. Feral dogs are one reason I always carry a firearm in the woods or in the country, especially when I'm alone.....also for the "two legged snakes". When dogs get a pack mentality, whatever the alpha dog does, the others follow. They actually revert back to their wild, pack hunting state given the right circumstances.

Last edited by reivertom; 09/06/19.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Could be that one guy owned all the dogs.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by reivertom
This nearly happen in the County where I live. An older lady went out to get her mail and her neighbor's dogs, who she saw every day, jumped her and tried to eat her alive. A passing motorist saw the mauling and came to her rescue. She lived , but needed several surgeries to put her scalp and face back together. She also had skin loss in other places. The dogs were a group of mixed breeds with a Doberman and boxer/ bulldog mix as the main leaders. They had been allowed to run free near a State Park full of deer, and had started running deer every night and killing them when they could. This taste for killing and blood transferred eventually to humans. Feral dogs are one reason I always carry a firearm in the woods or in the country, especially when I'm alone.....also for the "two legged snakes". When dogs get a pack mentality, whatever the alpha dog does, the others follow. They actually revert back to their wild, pack hunting state given the right circumstances.

This.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Anaconda
The owner of the dogs should be charged with negligent homicide.

Yep.

+1

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 280shooter, 338Rules, 30incher, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,324
Posts18,505,854
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.