-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a fan of Knob Creek but that Wild Turkey 101 can hang with the best of them.

Yup.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I would not go to town and ask the liquor agent for Rebecca's Knob Bourbon....

Jack Daniel's if you please.

I am MAGA.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by K1500
Have you tried Evan white label (bonded)?

tried their cheap and expensive, didn't like either one, I'd be interested in a bonded version

Last edited by sse; 09/08/19.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd like to line up 5 bourbons and ask everyone to tell me how much they cost. No one could get close.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WAM
I’m not a bourbon snob and recognize all our taste buds are unique, but I have a few favorites to recommend. George Dickel No. 12 at 90 proof or No. 8 at 80 proof, Pendleton (Canadian blended) , or Woodford. If you hanker for some high octane stuff: Knob Creek 100 proof. None of those break the bank. I had some EW single barrel a few years ago and don’t recall why I never bought again? Happy Trails

Of Knob 80, 100, and 120 the 100 to me is nearly undrinkable. The 120 is outstanding and the 80 is okay...

The 100 is often available for less than the 80...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Cant believe so many men prefer the Dickel and Knob here.....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by Fireball2
So I gotta ask, and I'm not being my usual smartass self.

For you guys that are shopping for these different priced bourbons and are picking it apart down to a gnats ass, are you hoping to save a little on each bottle of bourbon and at the end of the year go on a cruise with the wifey on the savings or what? Do you seriously drink so much that you have to buy budget booze? Why not buy the booze you like the most and drink occasionally or in moderation, and really enjoy good spirits? To me it'd be like drinking cheap beer in a can by the half case rather than 1 or 2 craft beers that are really good.

I guess I equate budget booze shopping with alcoholism. Maybe I'm way off base.

Your off base, I been to some "blind" bourbon taste events before and seen time after time cheap liquor beat high end stuff a bunch of times. That's not to say some high end stuff is not worth the money. But it pays to experiment and is fun in the process. This is how I discovered George Dickel 12, $21 a bottle.

Some funny stuff was watching some snobs guzzling R&R at a tasting event and proclaiming it best!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I would say the cheapest Ten High or perhaps some of that Savon in the plastic bottle would be comparable to anything Evan Williams. Rebecca Creek is maybe the best for the money.

RC seems too sweet here. I always liked EW black or green label.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/08/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I'm a fan of Buffalo Trace.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pricey, but the best bourbon I've ever had is Garrison Bros. I went to high school with these fellas.

Last edited by High_Noon; 09/08/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The reason Rebecca Creek tastes off to Bourbon drinkers is because it isn't a Bourbon.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Journeyman
The reason Rebecca Creek tastes off to Bourbon drinkers is because it isn't a Bourbon.

True enough. I shouldn't have recommended it on a Bourbon thread.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For a nice surprise and not break the bank, try Clyde May's bourbon out of Alabama.

My fire suit is on. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
So I gotta ask, and I'm not being my usual smartass self.

For you guys that are shopping for these different priced bourbons and are picking it apart down to a gnats ass, are you hoping to save a little on each bottle of bourbon and at the end of the year go on a cruise with the wifey on the savings or what? Do you seriously drink so much that you have to buy budget booze? Why not buy the booze you like the most and drink occasionally or in moderation, and really enjoy good spirits? To me it'd be like drinking cheap beer in a can by the half case rather than 1 or 2 craft beers that are really good.

I guess I equate budget booze shopping with alcoholism. Maybe I'm way off base.
I've drank a lot of upscale American whiskeys. There weren't very many until a few years ago. I haven't drank many that tasted as good as a lot of...standard whiskey. Even if I'd won the Powerball a few years back, I'd likely be drinking the same stuff-not because I'm cheap, but because I'm not paying more for something that doesn't taste as good as stuff I can get for less. I'm also not paying a lot more for stuff that isn't MUCH better than what I can get for a lot less. For the money, I've never drank anything that could beat standard Wild Turkey. For a long time, Sam's had it for IIRC, around $32 for 375 ml. I think it has went up, making Bulleit a bit more attractive, since to my tastes, it is a bit better. Henry McKenna and Dickel's is nearly in the same league. All are drinkable.

For the true alcoholic, Old Crow is hard to beat. Cheap and doesn't taste bad.

Btw, when you get recommendations from me, I'm talking straight up shots, not stuff watered down with coke or "branch water" or some corruption.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[Linked Image]

You gonna open those sonsabitches or whistle dixie? grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[Linked Image]

I am a little upset.

Charlie got me hooked on WT.....Nary a bottle in that lineup!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

LOL.....truth is.....I got those last Christmas. The Bulleit's half full and the rest are still unopened. (stomach issue).

To make matters worse....since I'd never had it before I still don't know what Makers Mark tastes like.

Stomach's on the mend now but I just haven't been in the mood.....maybe that'll change when the cold weather sets in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey EE,
That Wild Turkey 101 you mentioned is $21 here locally for what I used to call “a fifth”. Like you, I find it hard to beat, at least to my taste. My next choice if the store is out of Turkey is Henry McKenna, which around here sells for $15.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I am a little upset.

Charlie got me hooked on WT.....Nary a bottle in that lineup!

They were gifts Jim.....you know there'd be some 101 in the group if I would have bought em.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 09/08/19.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,188
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.