Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Haha!

Well, an EMP aint schit to a Mormon.

Nothing for them to have 2-300 pounds of flour socked away.

And a case of Canadian Blend.......

FJB & FJT

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Haha!

As long as their spaceships are shielded (I'd assume they'd have to be?) they'll be fine till they run out of food, same as anyone else.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by xxclaro

It's great if you like poorly written books.....I really like that post apocalyptic genre of literature and was looking forward to reading it after seeing so many recommendations for it here, but it was honestly pretty bad.

They are a lot better than any other series I've tried to read of that genre.

MAGA
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Raeford
Haha!

And a case of Canadian Blend.......

Yeah, well they know that the English will be hurting for booze.

Good trading material.

The real thing to do would be have a couple tons of Oxy stashed away.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Haha!

As long as their spaceships are shielded (I'd assume they'd have to be?) they'll be fine till they run out of food, same as anyone else.

I couldn't tell ya.

I have been as close as the big doors where they keep the ships. Never been allowed inside to inspect.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
So how would one best prepare for this EMP event on a family scale?

Or is it too bad/so sad when it hits? For real now, not the hokey prepper/I can survive anything stuff that goes out the window with the first shot fired.

DakotaDeer, Look up Survival Blog on the Internet. It is mostly Christian based .....not your typical “shoot them all, and let God sort them out” type site. There are many years of archived information available. There is real-life, practical information for most any budget......from trapping, fishing, hide tanning, gardening, first aid, ect. More information than you can absorb in many, many months! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/09/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
couple of comments:
one: a guy married to a relative of mine few years ago parked in front of one of my houses, went across the street to look at an early 70's 4x4. when he came over i asked him why he wanted one of those. He had been a senior vice president of a very well known computer company, traveled all over the world for them. His comment was it was pre electronic, he took emp seriously.
two:
i was engaged to a mormon chick for about four years, long story. her dad taught me a lot of things. they had an addition on their house looked like a well stocked grocery store. he would buy stuff on sale and stock it. Made a lot of sense to me. problem was he got older, wife died, and he never used any of the stuff. it was a disaster after he died and then went to clean the place up.
having said that i was in a bad blizzard/snow storm one time, trucks couldn't get into the area for over a month. That food supply and wood stove for heat, stuff like that, life went on pretty normal.
another time when i was seriously ill and no money coming in, i was real happy i learned from the mormon, had no issues at all. or when my son got terminally ill from downwinders/cancer, was trying to feed a wife and three kids, it sure came in handy. I never called it prepping, i just called it being prepared for what life throws at you.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

It's great if you like poorly written books.....I really like that post apocalyptic genre of literature and was looking forward to reading it after seeing so many recommendations for it here, but it was honestly pretty bad.

They are a lot better than any other series I've tried to read of that genre.

That may be true, I have also had very little success finding good ones. I wish I could remember the name/author of one that I tried, was truly the worst book I ever read. I had to finish it just to see if the author could possibly keep it as terrible as it was right to the end...he could. Something about this genre seems to bring out kooks and awful writers.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I worry about this alot.
Keeps me awake at night .
I just light up a bowl of sticky bud when I start to fret too much about it all and watch the flintstones on cartoon network for survival ideas.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That may be true, I have also had very little success finding good ones. I wish I could remember the name/author of one that I tried, was truly the worst book I ever read. I had to finish it just to see if the author could possibly keep it as terrible as it was right to the end...he could. Something about this genre seems to bring out kooks and awful writers.

I agree. Either so faith based it's impossible to read, or straight up mad max murderfest. Not many are slightly believable. It sucks, as it's a rich field to plant in.

Patriots Surviving the coming Collapse or whatever it's called by John Wesley Rawles is probably my favorite. I bought a copy of it when it first came out, then it got popular again awhile back. Saw he had a website of some sort couple years ago, but got swiftly disinterested when it came to what guns he recommended. The book though is a classic.

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
An alien virus would do the same thing.

If you guys are really this ate up about it....go buddy up to your average Mormon. They will show you the way.

My wife does CERT. They have maps showing where all the Mormons live. Just sayin'.

You are schitting us.

No, he is not. I've seen a form requesting info on all you have stored, as well. (Just in case your supplies are needed in an emergency). It came around just before FEMA started advertising on billboards about "having a 3 day bag" and "communicate, have a plan BEFORE you need it."

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Your best survival tool is between your ears.

A good stock of emergency basic tools, food and medicine is just general good sense. Blizzards and earthquakes will continue to happen. Another Carrington Event is a certainty. It's just a matter of how long until it happens. Could be another 10,000 years. Hope I'm long gone before it does.

The Bikini test blew the traffic lights in Honolulu. That's old, low tech stuff, with electromechanical relays and such. Most consumer electronics are much more susceptible to EMP that old fashioned relays. Vacuum tubes are generally more resistant than solid state stuff. The MIG25 that was flown to freedom in Japan years ago was found to be using miniature vacuum tubes, probably for EMP resistance. I'm told by people who claim to know that a lot of military equipment is EMP hardened.

Be not weary in well doing.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
One more schitting thing to worry about.

Sheesh.

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
The way you create an EMP is to detonate A SINGLE thermonuclear bomb, a hundred miles or so in space, over the US. Power grid hell! It knocks out almost all solid state electronics within hundreds of miles. That means no car, TV, radio, furnace, delivery of food or medicine or anything else to stores, no hospitals, and the list goes on.

One bomb. You don't even need an accurate guidance system. That is probably within the capability of North Korea right now. Iran soon.

True, much of our military is EMP hardened. We could retaliate. Lots of good that would do. We should be hardening more civilian stuff and building a ballistic missile defense.

Anyone who thinks EMP is akin to climate change is a moron.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Haha!

And everyone knows they're Mormons because they aren't afraid to say so. Everyone else knows that they stockpile food so guess who's going to have heavily armed visitors when food runs out. They can't stockpile enough guns and ammo to hold off the equally armed visitors.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Haha!

And everyone knows they're Mormons because they aren't afraid to say so. Everyone else knows that they stockpile food so guess who's going to have heavily armed visitors when food runs out. They can't stockpile enough guns and ammo to hold off the equally armed visitors.

That could be, but I bet they pack up and take care of each other.....like they always have.

Heck, the flipping Mexican Cartel cant roust em!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Biggest problem with hardening the grid, is it was not one big entity. It was built up over time by many smaller companies that all did things just a bit differently. It has bypasses, and redundancies in some areas, but also has some unique key parts with no spares, and months involved in replacing said parts.
The grid is a vulnerability, that would cause wide spread death if it were to fail in winter. Many homes are now all electric.
Stores have gone to JIT deliveries. This means no more than 3 days of food on the shelves at any one time, to reduce spoilage, and waste. History has shown that when blizzards and such have shut down trucking in the short term, stores have been stripped by angry people. HELL! There was a 40 MINUTE glitch in the EBT card system, which resulted in rioting!
Now, a modern shipping company, modern trucks with on board computers and coil packs, safety sensors, cam switches, low oil sensors, electronic fuel injection, no more than a 3 day grace period, and people who act like animals when the .Gov teet is shut off, and that is not a good situation to be in for any length of time. Add in the long repair times, the lack of repair parts, and the inability of even repair crews to get around, you have a full blown clusterfuq.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by kellory
Biggest problem with hardening the grid, is it was not one big entity. It was built up over time by many smaller companies that all did things just a bit differently. It has bypasses, and redundancies in some areas, but also has some unique key parts with no spares, and months involved in replacing said parts.
The grid is a vulnerability, that would cause wide spread death if it were to fail in winter. Many homes are now all electric.
Stores have gone to JIT deliveries. This means no more than 3 days of food on the shelves at any one time, to reduce spoilage, and waste. History has shown that when blizzards and such have shut down trucking in the short term, stores have been stripped by angry people. HELL! There was a 40 MINUTE glitch in the EBT card system, which resulted in rioting!
Now, a modern shipping company, modern trucks with on board computers and coil packs, safety sensors, cam switches, low oil sensors, electronic fuel injection, no more than a 3 day grace period, and people who act like animals when the .Gov teet is shut off, and that is not a good situation to be in for any length of time. Add in the long repair times, the lack of repair parts, and the inability of even repair crews to get around, you have a full blown clusterfuq.

Would have been much better if there had been a People's Central Power Authority? Overseen by the Politburo....er.....Congress I mean.

Eh comrade?

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Haha!

The would be looters may find it easier and safer to eat their own dead....rather than try and take it away from someone motivated to keep it! Just say’n! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory

Would have been much better if there had been a People's Central Power Authority? Overseen by the Politburo....er.....Congress I mean.

Eh comrade?

You will never get me to endorse a communist agenda. However, other parallels exist.

Interstate Highway System. The Interstate Highway System was launched when President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956. Its purpose was to provide high-speed, high-capacity system of highways without stoplights and with exits spaced, whenever possible, at least a mile apart."

Our freeways are built to accommodate emergency landings and military uses. It was built to move troops and equipment from coast to coast in the shortest time. Eisenhower was given the job of moving materials on what is now referred to as "rt. 66" and it took him 2 weeks to do the job. He was determined to correct this logistical problem. When he had the ability to make it a reality, he did so with gusto.
Our grid is much like the backwoods rt.66. It works, but has it's limitations and problems. It should have been simplified and streamlined many years ago. But it always comes down to money.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,394
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.