Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Turkey 101 is surprising good budget bourbon

this

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Last edited by mathman; 09/09/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am still seeing the Evan Williams single barrel everywhere. What I am not seeing is the Green Label Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond that was in the regular bottle. Only way you can get it now is in an over priced fancy decanter and it is hard to come by. Evan Williams 12 year in the red label is one to look for, but it is not cheap.

For those that like Eagle Rare, it is the same exact bourbon as Buffalo Trace, just aged different. I prefer Buffalo Trace and it is priced below $25, but keep bottle of both on hand.

For cheap, the Green Label Heaven Hill is surprisingly good (something about those green labels). Not sure if you can get that outside of Kentucky, but if you can, it is worth a try.

I am right here dab smack in the middle of bourbon country. Last year I was getting up early to get in line for the releases and got some good stuff. Weller 12 is good, but almost not 0500 am getting in line good. What getting up that early gets you is a $38 bottle of bourbon that can sell over $150 on the secondary market. This year, I chose to sleep in on those release days. Haven't had any luck with the Pappy Van Winkle lotteries yet.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Virginia has a pitiful selection of Ryes. I like Rye whisky.

I tend to like Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye. Need to find a bottle of their barrel strength.

Thistle Finch from Lancaster PA is also not that bad. Just wish they would age it a little longer.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Has anyone here been able to taste Pappy Van Winkle? The holy grail of bourbons.
Curious of your opinion if you have tasted it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I had sampled most most of the Van Winkles before they were trendy and sought after by people with more money than sense. Most were pretty good stuff, but certainly not worth the money they draw these days. One of the very old ones had been taken over by the barrel, over aged IMO.

In the pic I linked there's a bottle of Van Winkle Lot B. It is very nice, and bottles trade for over a thousand dollars these days. The price tag on the pictured one was about $55 when it was acquired.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Jim Beam Black here.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by EdM
Jim Beam Black here.

Looks like they dropped the age statement on that one.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Jefferson's Small Batch for favorite-$33
Wild Turkey 101[always have that one on hand in case of a EMP etc].

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Virginia has a pitiful selection of Ryes. I like Rye whisky.

Virginia's ABC has come a long ways and you can order many items and have shipped to your locale.

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/

FJB & FJT
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I live in Bourbon country. It was invented here. But I don't drink it.

The smoothest brown corn based liquor I've ever drank is Royal Canadian Mist blended whiskey.

It's smooth enough to cause you to make a damn fool of yourself if you don't watchit.

Figures a lefty would drink a Canadian blended Whiskey. Once again proving they have no taste!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I started drinking a little bourbon and Whiskey last spring. I drink them straight or neat in a snifter glass. So far I would say that Evan Williams Black is pretty hard to beat for the price.
[Linked Image]

All good whiskey there! Old Crow is another good not so expensive bourbon, their Reserve is even better.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Buffalo Trace distillery makes many famous and hard to get bourbon brands including Blantons, Eagle Rare, Pappy van Winkle, WL Weller, and George T Stagg. However, they only use very few mash bills so the ingredients of several of them are exactly the same. It is where they are placed in the aging warehouses that determine the flavor profiles and characteristics of the different brands. That bottle of Eagle Rare you were able to find has the exact same juice as Pappy V , but it doesn’t taste the same because it was aged in a portion of the warehouse with different environmental factors affecting it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I live in Bourbon country. It was invented here. But I don't drink it.

The smoothest brown corn based liquor I've ever drank is Royal Canadian Mist blended whiskey.

It's smooth enough to cause you to make a damn fool of yourself if you don't watchit.

Figures a lefty would drink a Canadian blended Whiskey. Once again proving they have no taste!

https://thewhiskeyjug.com/canadian-whiskey/canadian-mist-review/
A great review...

SHARES
Canadian Mist Review

I’m struggling to find any redeeming qualities in Canadian Mist. I’m also struggling to figure out why, besides being dirt cheap, this is America’s best selling Canadian Whisky and how in the hell it’s won so many gold medals. I’m flabbergasted at the stark difference between what I’m experiencing and the general consensus of America on this one. Maybe I really am a whisky snob…

Made from a blend of grain whisky (corn, rye and malted barley), rye whiskey, a “touch” of sherry that doesn’t seem to do anything at all for this whisky and “matured to taste” in ex-bourbon barrels this whisky is a slow-motion train wreck of cloying notes. The site, and related marketing, leans heavily on lightness in flavor and the whisky’s complete lack of bite as selling points and maybe that’s where the general American public and I diverge. I want bold flavors and aromas with depth, richness and complexity that’s bolstered by complimentary subtle notes that is a pleasure to drink neat despite any bite it might have. I don’t want to lay down hard earned dollars for spineless whisky.

CANADIAN MIST INFO

Region: Ontario, Canada

Distiller: Canadian Mist
ABV: 40%

Price: $9 (got mine on close-out for $4)

CANADIAN MIST REVIEW

EYE
Yellow caramel

NOSE
Sickly medicinal and caramel heavy followed by watery butterscotch, waxy candy corn and artificial sweetener run rampant. An astringent, cleaner like, overripe citrus mixes with root beer taffy in the background and a turpentine underpinning holds everything up.

PALATE
Same medicinal caramel and overripe, cleaner like, citrus blend with some burnt toffee and raw grain. A thick note of raw alcohol and butterscotch limp their way over the palate dragging something oily, dirty and mechanical behind them.

BALANCE, BODY & FEEL
The sickly medicinal quality knocks this one on it’s side and the sticky syrupy feel and light body make it boring and uneventful, but at least their marketing is 100% accurate. There is absolutely no bite in this dram, it’s like drinking water.

FINISH
Again that medicinal caramel rears is cloying head and is accompanied by artificial sweetener and a watery maple syrup that lasts for far too long.

OVERALL
Canadian Mist is among the worst whiskies I have ever tasted. It’s like a borderline rancid bourbon was mixed with a bunch of artificial flavors, put in BPA riddled plastic jugs and left out in the Nevada desert to be eroded by the sun for a year before bottling. Everything smells and tastes young, raw, bleached out and artificial. It’s just not very good. Hell, even the MIST enthusiasts seem to prefer it mixed with something, anything, else and that friends, isn’t exactly what I’d call a good sign.

SCORE: 65/100

CANADIAN MIST REVIEW - SCORE BREAKDOWN
Nose - 65
Palate - 65
Finish - 65
Balance, Body & Feel - 65

Value
Let’s put to this way… I wouldn’t even pay $1 for another bottle of Canadian Mist.

USER REVIEW
3.19 (21 votes)

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Good info in this thread. I find Buffalo Trace hard to beat, at least so far. I was just at a small tasting a local place had, discovered Old Forester there. Pretty good for the price. I also got talked into a bottle of Blantons. Not sure if I'll continue to collect the horseys or not, lol.

For those of you who like Rye, Roknar is one you really should try if you can get your hands on it, much as it kills me to promote anything that comes from the state of minnesota.

https://www.farnorthspirits.com/roknar-mn-rye-whiskey

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Buffalo Trace distillery makes many famous and hard to get bourbon brands including Blantons, Eagle Rare, Pappy van Winkle, WL Weller, and George T Stagg. However, they only use very few mash bills so the ingredients of several of them are exactly the same. It is where they are placed in the aging warehouses that determine the flavor profiles and characteristics of the different brands. That bottle of Eagle Rare you were able to find has the exact same juice as Pappy V , but it doesn’t taste the same because it was aged in a portion of the warehouse with different environmental factors affecting it.

It's not so simple. Do an internet search on Van Winkle and Stitzel-Weller.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the Weller and the Buffalo trace Bourbons.

Now if you'll notice the Mason jar on the right of East Texas Lawn Mower Gas. It's refined at 90 octane in a stainless sti... I mean refinery. Aged a couple of weeks in a 2 gallon pickle jar with a piece of burnt oak fire wood floating in it. Then filtered through a Mr. Coffee filter with charcoal. Your lawn mower will run great with this fuel.

[Linked Image]

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

Not entirely true. They are subjected to different environmental conditions, but the main difference is Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare have the same mash bill, but Eagle Rare is aged longer -- either 10 or 17 years, whereas BT doesn't have a defined age statement, and rumor has it that it's aged for around 8 years.

Eagle Rare isn't at all the same juice as Pappy. ER and BT come from a typical bourbon corn mash with a low % of rye, whereas Pappy has an entirely different mash bill containing wheat in place of the rye...in addition to Pappy spending a longer time in the barrels.

Ted
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
To the OP...give Michter's Small Batch, High West American Prairie, and Breckinridge a try.

Ted
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Try woodford reserve. Also buffalo trace for a cheaper option.

i have been down the bourbon trail a few times. Expensive doesn't always mean the best tasting.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 61 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,586
Posts18,473,403
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.