Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does not seem that Weatherby gets much attention here, but I've always been interested in owning one, or a few. They seem like nice rifles.

So many rifles to choose from so many manufacturers. I'm not a great shot to begin with, so was thinking of buying a rifle that has already been "verified", such as a Cooper or Weatherby RC. That way at least I know what the rifle CAN do. So I'm looking at Weatherby's website and WOW they have seriously reduced their offerings both in model and caliber options. For instance, in most of the Mark V the 30-06 and 308 Win is not available. But of course the 6.5 CREEDMORE is there frown

Had my eye on a their Weatherguard HBAR that was Range Certified, in 308 Win. Great rifle for the hunting I do. Should have bought it when it was avaialable.

Guess they are feeling the pressure from competition and needed to weed out some low sellers.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 09/23/19.
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I knew some guys in Texas that shot 300’s in the vanguard, certified model if I recall. Those rifles shot really well.
The mark v would be nice.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Does not seem that Weatherby gets much attention here, but I've always been interested in owning one, or a few. They seem like nice rifles.

So many rifles to choose from so many manufacturers. I'm not a great shot to begin with, so was thinking of buying a rifle that has already been "verified", such as a Cooper or Weatherby RC. That way at least I know what the rifle CAN do. So I'm looking at Weatherby's website and WOW they have seriously reduced their offerings both in model and caliber options. For instance, in most of the Mark V the 30-06 and 308 Win is not available. But of course the 6.5 CREEDMORE is there frown

Had my eye on a their Weatherguard HBAR that was Range Certified, in 308 Win. Great rifle for the hunting I do. Should have bought it when it was avaialable.

Guess they are feeling the pressure from competition and needed to weed out some low sellers.

Every manufacturer is feeling the pressure. It used to be Remington,Winchester ,Ruger and Weatherby for bolt rifles. I have lost count of how many manufacturers sell their bolt rifles now, regular production,semi-custom and full custom , it is a crowded market for sure.

Weatherby sells a lot of Vanguards which are probably the best push feed rifle on the market right now for the price. You have to spend another 1k to get slightly better. They have also dropped the price of their ammunition 30% and that is well worth it. It's exact and matches advertised factory velocity.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any/all Ratherbee's with more than (2) locking lugs,are fhuqking JUNK. Tough to swoon the 308 in any application,save mebbe an MBR and make mine a '10,followed in a wayyyyyyy distant second by a '91(guilty of both of course). Hint.

It's still "Creedmoor",unless you have several in multiple bore sizes,then it is Kreedmire. Congratulations?!?

Go straight Howa in S/S and cut to the fhuqking chase and holster the 308 notion.

Thank me later.

Hint...........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only way to get a SS Howa now is a Vanguard, and it's well worth the extra bucks because you also get a usable stock. Still crap, but usable crap.

I think Australia still gets SS Howas, but I'm too old to move.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have vanguard S2 in 25-06, it is a nice solid rifle. The stocks and actions are light years better than the Axis, American, 783 and such. I am pretty sure even the vanguard S2's come with a 1 MOA guarantee. They are a good way to try a Weatherby for 499 bucks.

Last edited by bmoney; 09/23/19.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If i were in the market for a new Weatherby I'd most likely go with a Vanguard (Howa)....I think these are some of the best push feed bolt action rifles on the market at any price 👍......Good luck....Hb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I wanted to try the 6.5 Creedmoor, I bought a Weatherby V2 in 02/14. It is the most accurate straight out of the box centerfire rifle that I've yet to own.

I have 3 V2s, all are capable of shooting MOA or better groups.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditto to what oldelkhunter stated.....the vanguard is a solid well built rifle ......great value for those of us "not great shooters to begin with"......my series 1 vanguard is a tack driver with no modification.....my howa 1500 has the same trigger as the series 2 vanguard, an excellent 2-stage upgrade.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Vanguards are the only ones I liked. I need to find some more of those V2 20” carbines in 6.5 or 7-08

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have an Accumark in .270 that makes me look like Ive been trained to shoot.. that guns just flat out accurate.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy another when the time comes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Had my eye on a their Weatherguard HBAR that was Range Certified, in 308 Win.

Practically any Vanguard or Howa whether range certified or not, will shoot some kind of factory ammo into 1" groups! You may need to try a few brands and bullet weights. (also don't be surprised if a range certified does not shoot all brands as accurately) I'm not convinced they are worth any extra money.

Regarding the Mark V action, they have a peculiar design feature threading the front action screw into the bottom of the recoil lug. Weird enough to cause me to pass.

I agree with some of the other posts, a Howa or Vanguard is a very well made rifle, and among my favorites, up there with Tikka and Rem. M700s with after market trigger assemblies.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I am a fan of the weatherby rifles and own several. I have the .240 and .257 in the Accuguard rifle that I really like. The S2 rifles are very good rifles for the money.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like em too, a 6 lug ulw is one of the more comfortable rifles goin..for me

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Vanguard has been a part of Wby since the mid 1970s. So yeah Howa makes a damn great bolt gun right out of the box.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by StrayDog

Practically any Vanguard or Howa whether range certified or not, will shoot some kind of factory ammo into 1" groups! You may need to try a few brands and bullet weights. (also don't be surprised if a range certified does not shoot all brands as accurately) I'm not convinced they are worth any extra money.

Regarding the Mark V action, they have a peculiar design feature threading the front action screw into the bottom of the recoil lug. Weird enough to cause me to pass.

I guess you will be passing on a Vanguard since they are set up the same.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have owned 3 over the years 1 MK5 in 280 Remington that was a great shooter and two vanguards which both shot 1 in 300 win mag and 1 257 Weatherby! I know many hear don’t like them, but IMO they are decent guns. I think the recent changes were needed......the bolt gun market is crowded and most bolt guns above $750.00 shoot. They have tweaked the B&C stock and added the new high end carbon. The 6.5 rpm is interesting and a step in the right direction imo. MK now have fluted bolts , cerakote etc. Less fancy wood and more modern looks. All changes that were needed. All MK 5 use criterion barrels which are decent as well. Just my opinion but I think they are doing some good things!

Last edited by goodshot; 09/28/19.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If they would offer a straight comb stock, I would have a several more vanguards in my safe. That signature Monte Carlo hump just doesn’t fit me.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by StrayDog

I guess you will be passing on a Vanguard since they are set up the same.

Dang, I didn't know that, the crow doesn't taste too bad cause I appreciate a free education. Anyway, I still prefer Vanguards to Mark Vs, as I prefer Chevy Tahoes to Cadillac Escalades.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had a nice vanguard in .300 win mag. Sold it because I decided if I was going to own a weatherby it needed to be shooting a weatherby load. Still haven't replaced it.

It was a nice shooting rifle.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (1eyedmule, 44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 11 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,766
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.