Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
I'm tempted to go Cowboy Action just to wear the cool clothes.

I've got to lose 40 lbs first.
Have you seen the guys at CAS? They start at about 80 years old and 350 lbs.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Never been a fan of chaps but do like chinks when riding through the pines and tall junipers.

When I was a kid, there'd be these town guys (town being like 700 pop.) who were like, "Yeah, I wanna help hay. Lemme get my chaps and hay hooks. I only do it to keep in shape for football."

I'm thinkin', the only guys on our crew who have hooks are the oldsters who use the good ones and "use" means they keep it on the tractor with them so nobody else can score it. Me and the other kids who actually haul the hay are stuck with the old junk hooks, one apiece. Chaps? Wtf? We're in jeans with holes all ripped in them that cactus and locust thorns stick through easily along with wore-out white t-shirts. I only hay because my Dad will kick my ass if I don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wear waterproof ranch boots most of the time, they are comfortable and practical. Wrangler jeans and carhart shirts, some without holes even. If people have a problem with it they just don’t understand fashion.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wrangler's and Red Wing Pecos boots are as close as I get to western garb.

The Wranglers are only $20 and fit my weird body and I like the Red Wing's crepe wedge sole.

I'm far from being a cowboy though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[/quote]When I was a kid, there'd be these town guys (town being like 700 pop.) who were like, "Yeah, I wanna help hay. Lemme get my chaps and hay hooks. I only do it to keep in shape for football."

I'm thinkin', the only guys on our crew who have hooks are the oldsters who use the good ones and "use" means they keep it on the tractor with them so nobody else can score it. Me and the other kids who actually haul the hay are stuck with the old junk hooks, one apiece. Chaps? Wtf? We're in jeans with holes all ripped in them that cactus and locust thorns stick through easily along with wore-out white t-shirts. I only hay because my Dad will kick my ass if I don't.
[/quote]

Think our dads were a lot alike. I got volunteered on a custom hay crew when my older brother decided it looked like a good way to make money. I was 7th grade and maybe 110 lbs. I had hauled since I was big enough to move one end of a bale, but custom hauling was another thing entirely.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd overheat wearin' chaps and loading hay!

The heavy weight double front Carhartt's are warm enough.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As for "western" dress, I wore the boots until my mid 30s when they started causing trouble with my feet. Boots, jeans, and a jean jacket still feels like home to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do like my boots...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

ten gallon hat. check
Wranglers. check
brushpopper shirt. check
pointy-toed boots. check
spurs. check
assless chaps. check

but now I'm like ol' Fieldgrade.Redwing pecos wellingtons

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a pullover lace to the neck real buckskin shirt as a kid, Got it as a hand me down from an older cousin whose dad had been friends with some real old west types when he was a boy. I think I wore it out.
Kinda like the one above without fringe

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm like a chick when it comes to shoes aka boots.

Of the +dozen pair about 1/3 are cowboy boots.

One pair for riding and rest are all rubber soled walking heels. Square toe mofo.

Other than a couple woman folk I swear everyone I know wears cowboy boots.

Last edited by SamOlson; 09/26/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

ans that's because they are so cool.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It ain't like half of them could even saddle a horse much less get on and get western..........

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had to give up boots this year. No support and I developed that Plantar Fascitus ( sp) in my heels.I am 76 and have worn wrangler since I was in Junior high .Shirts with snaps on and two pockets a until they went to $40 each although I did just find two flannel snap front shirts for $13each.I can't remember not wearing either straw or felt hat a with 4 " brim and 4 inch crown.
Around here, it's not western clothing, it is just what we wear.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wore cowboy stuff tell I was 16 got my DL and never got on a horse or a flat track bike again . I respect the people that do

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
More of a drugstore cowboy, myself. But, a cowboy never the less. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Cowboy Cut Wranglers, Redwing Pecos work boots, and a Carhartt pocket T-shirt most days.

If I “dress up” , I’ve got a pair of Leddy’s custom made elephant hide cowboy boots with 17” tops I had made about 20 years ago. and a Wrangler button down shirt, or maybe a Columbia button down fishing shirt.

Got lots of Tony Lama Cowboy boots I rarely wear any more because the old leather soles are too damn slick.

The older I get, the more I like square toed cowboy boots with a rubber or vibram sole. Hated them when they first came out but they are damn comfortable.
Hard to beat Redwing pull on work boots for comfort. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I am confused.

Whats western?

Probably the same as clean, pressed work clothes to you Jim.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It ain't like half of them could even saddle a horse much less get on and get western..........

Ain’t that the TRUTH!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm like a chick when it comes to shoes aka boots.

Of the +dozen pair about 1/3 are cowboy boots.

One pair for riding and rest are all rubber soled walking heels. Square toe mofo.

I've got a couple pair of cowboy boots for dress occasions. Other than that I'm in tennis shoes 'cause they're a lot warmer or rubber boots in the winter when there's mud all over or snow. Boots are too hot when I can ride around in the tractor or pickup in tennis shoes or do mechanic work in the shed the same way. If I was working for some big corporation and had to have steel-toed boots or get fired for safety violations I'd do so then. Working for myself it's just easier to not drop shixt on my feet. I don't even own a pair of shoes other than cowboy boots or tennis shoes.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.