Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jbmi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Six years ago we remodeled our kitchen. Looked at all the different appliances and chose LG.
Bought a DW, MW. Dbl. Oven range & 3 door French Style Ref. (paid $2300 for ref.)
Last week the refrigerator took a crap, compressor failed and we lost everything in the freezer.
Good thing is it had a 7 year warranty, we carry appliance insurance through our electric company, so their tech came over and said they do not service LG's because of the problems with the delivery time and parts that don't work. (read the small print in the policy) so we called the store we bought them from (Best Buy) and they referred us to LG Service Dept. in South Korea. Tried to speak to some lady who does not have English as her first language.
Finally got her to give us a local service man to call, She gave us two. Called both, got no response over two days. Then called two local well known service companies here in town.
They both declined working on LG's, said parts are hard to get, with long wait times, and there's a good chance they won't work as LG is constantly changing there design. They both said what we have is scrap metal.
So after only 6 years we junked the thing and bought a new one.
We have cottages and deer camps around here that have refrigerator that are 30+ years old and still working, just another reason to research what you're buying.

"The older I get, the better I was"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our 11 year old Frigidare crapped out this month. Seems that about 10 years is all you can expect from these "newer" refrigerator. And they are not cheap.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My parents had a Sears upright freezer in their garage that operated continually from 1960 to 2016.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a period of time I worked as as inspector at GE transportation.
The plant has been around over 100 years and at one point actually made refrigerators.
There are refrigerators all over the plant that are well over 50 years old,
Not just GE ones either.
There are some real antiques still there,still running, sitting on the shop floor. In dirt and filth thats just hard to believe.
For myself, had a Hotpoint that lasted 37 years.
Would not make cold anymore.
Found a small appliance dealer that services what they sell.
Screw bustbuy..
Bought a Maytag.With the freezer on the bottom.
I like it alot.
Dealer told me upfront.
10 years.
Thats how there built now.
HIVAC guy told me it has alot to do with the efficiency standards set buy the gov....
Figures.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The cost of repairs on appliances makes replacement a cheaper option. The last microwave we bought was under $100. They still tried selling us an extended warranty.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Modern appliances of all sorts have horrible service life compared to those of old. LG and Samsung customer service sucks hog balls. Big time. As in slit your own throat bad. Modern appliances are disposable.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have a Frigidaire that went to Ontario in 1949. We hauled it back to Iowa to get it out. It weighs a lot, but I'll think it would still run.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We have Frigidaire, good luck with it so far.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We remodeled our kitchen 18 yers ago and are on our third refrigerator. Had a Frigidaire bottom freezer that crapped out a year after we bought it. Compressor stb and was repaired under warranty with nothing lost in the unit (had a spare downstairs). Replaced with a smaller GE same bottom freezer and it would freeze up and then leak all over the floor. Naturally this occurred after the warranty ran out. Bought a scratch and dent Kenmore with freezer on top and so far so good. Around the corner at my buddies house is a Norge I gave him from my parents. 60 years old and still working.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I've been told by repair guys that the main culprit is the efficiency standards on newer production models. The standards cause the compressor(s) to cycle on and off at a much higher rate compared to the older models. 8-10 years on a new compressor is a full life span and likely has the same on/off cycle number of a still operational 30 year old model

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
When Maytag and Amana went under, it was free reign for the remaining manufacturers of appliances to turn out junk and the one or two manufacturers of quality stuff to jack up their prices.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

My sister and our oldest daughter both had huge new high tech refrigerators with digital controls and both started having problems with theirs while still under warranty with little if any resolution from manufacturer or dealer.

I thought it quite telling that area Habitat for Humanity "Restore" resale stores often have the same types and brand name refrigerators, ranges, washers and dryers over and over again, typically donated by fed-up owners and/or store trade-ins, for resale by Habitat, marked "as is - no refunds".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People remodel so often that appliances with a 30 year lifespan don’t make sense. The beer fridge in most folks garages seem to last forever. I had one that was old as the hills, sat in a barn for years and never missed a lick.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 16bore
People remodel so often that appliances with a 30 year lifespan don’t make sense.
Most ordinary folks who remodel a kitchen or bath won't do it again for 20 years at least, and with many it's one and done.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We replaced all our kitchen appliances this spring. The old ones were GE, lasted 18 years so we went with them again. We bought through a regular local appliance dealer rather than a big box store. We asked about the Samsung and LG appliances and they recommended that we stay away from them due to repair history. Long story short after 4 months our fridge started to have trouble staying in the right temperature range. It was the compressor and the dealership replaced with another new GE of the same model. I guess they really don't make them like they used to.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by 16bore
People remodel so often that appliances with a 30 year lifespan don’t make sense.
Most ordinary folks who remodel a kitchen or bath won't do it again for 20 years at least, and with many it's one and done.

Not many stay in the same home that long anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lived right down the street from one of the biggest appliance dealers in our area. When my girlfriend at the time decided I needed new appliances.
I went in and talked to him. He asked what I had in mind. I said I wanted what he had in his house. He lead me over to some inexpensive stainless Frigidaire brand. I was sort of shocked expecting him to take me over to the Viking section. He said , buy this Frigidaire stuff because we got the parts to
Fix them and they all break down. He said the expensive stuff is nice but can take three weeks to a month to get a part. He said this aint your dads and grandads appliances that will last your lifetime. All this stuff is going to last 10-12 years and then it ain't worth fixing. I did what he said and bought the cheaper stuff and a warranty. He was right on all accounts.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I buy Kenmore, which I believe is manufactured by frigidaire. Have for 40 years. Our last remodel, maybe12 years ago, I purchased their extended warranty for our Elite, stainless appliances. In that span of time Sears has replaced our 5 burner induction cooktop twice. And our double oven twice. The frig has never missed a beat. The extended warranty is expensive but I don't care. When something goes south all I want to do is make a phone call and get someone out here. I just had a technician out here about 3 days ago doing an annual function check on my appliances. Current warranty runs through 2021. I have no complaints.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We read the Consumer Reports Magazine and buy what they recommend. They report on most everything that is needed in everyday life. After many years we are still reading and buying what they recommend. Check out their magazine.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I am running a Wizard chest freezer bought at Western Auto in 1958. The year I was born. It has never had a problem.
They don't make them like that any more!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 23 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,507
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.