Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Many here have came to believe shooting at moving game is unethical.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I prefer to use MOA because when necessary, I can back-calculate/double-check corrections more quickly. I don't have to do it all that often, but, when I do, I usually need to make the calculation and correction relatively quickly, so I use something I'm familiar with.

The range I shoot @ goes to 300yds. Most of my shooting beyond 300yds is steel targets set up @ whatever ranges terrain allows shooting w/friends for fun/practice, not organized competition. Most of us have "Alpha" spotting scopes and binocs, None of us have reticles in them. So, if I'm spotting and someone misses, I'm probably telling them "X inches/feet" left-right-up-down. When I'm being generous, I'll give them the estimated correction in MOA. This is the same sort of info I get when I'm shooting and someone else is spotting. I need to quickly convert "You shot 1' over his back" into a correction I can dial or hold. I'm able to do that more quickly w/MOA due to familiarity and ability to turn inches/feet into MOA in my head quickly.

I'm sure I could do the same w/Mils if I swapped over it'd just take some practice.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by battue
Many here have came to believe shooting at moving game is unethical.

As they hunt from an elevated heated shooting house over a timed corn-flinger with a forged Dr's Note that allows them to drive cross-country/off-trail to same?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You forgot about hunting in their work clothes, because game only moves in the early morning and right at dark.

Last edited by battue; 09/27/19.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
battue, how far is the avg shot in standing timber? Just curious.

I have no problem shooting at running game, with limitations of course.

Always get a kick out of one hunter's opinion of what is ethical for sure. Corn feeders in non ag areas are no different than food plots, green fields, bean fields, or whatever.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We agree, just having some fun.

Don’t know what the average would be, but from the last few posts, the jest/advantage seems to be on marking a miss for correction. Well, that is kinda hard to do, by yourself under recoil or with the bullet perhaps finding moss or anything that doesn’t throw smoke.

Addition: Here in Pa I’ve been in the wood where a few yards may be the max, or if things line up just right a couple hundred. Dang few times will a first miss leave a visible mark, visible under recoil, even way out there in our fields. Have a spotter then yes, sometimes.

Last edited by battue; 09/27/19.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I hear you. I was just going to point out there are likely some instances where FFP mil/mil scopes would be out of their "comfort zone", and perhaps standing timber/mostly closer ranges would be one of them. I'm guessing running deer in this timber even moreso.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
I've never had anyone explain to me what is so complicated about MOA. Of course, I have no trouble understanding feet and inches either. GD

Respectfully Sir,

I don't think it's that MOA is 'so complicated', as much as that Milliradians are 'less complicated'. Especially under a time crunch.

I've used both MOA & Mil, and work in Imperial measurements every day- understanding feet and inches quite well. And I still prefer Mils by quite a bit. To each their own however.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I hear you. I was just going to point out there are likely some instances where FFP mil/mil scopes would be out of their "comfort zone", and perhaps standing timber/mostly closer ranges would be one of them. I'm guessing running deer in this timber even moreso.

As someone who actually hunts with a mil reticle, I haven't found that to be true at all. A decent mil reticle points just as well as a duplex or #4 or whatever other older reticle you care to use, but it also has advantages at longer distance that the others don't.

I've honestly never understood the guys who claim a mil dot reticle is too busy to hunt with. If they were talking about something like a Horus reticle with lots of little lines, sure, but a simple mil dot reticle is pretty basic and never has caused me any confusion for quick shots.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by greydog
I honestly don't see what the fuss is about if all that is being discussed is a unit of measurement. In the end, one can call it what he wants and it is still a unit of measurement. If you have a scope on which the adjustments are marked in "glorps", with twelve glorps making a "fliggle", the end result is the same. Only the name has changed.

IMO the confusion most people have is about the type of measurement, which then gets mistakenly associated with the units. Scopes adjust and measure in angles; moa, mils, degrees etc are angles, so it's simple to use those measurements and it doesn't matter much which units one prefers. The confusion comes when people want to measure windage and elevation in inches, which is not an angle but just one leg of an angle so math is required. That makes it more complicated, and it doesn't need to be, which is the point of this whole thread if I understand it right.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I was in a local shop the other day and they showed me a new scope. It was MOA so I asked if they had the same thing in mil/mil. They said the don't order mil/mil because no one will buy them.

I have no problem running moa or mil but I also started shooting a mil dot reticle with moa knobs back before there were affordable laser range finders. It always bugged me that manufacturers couldn't seem to match the turrets to the reticle so things have improved much now that most of them do.

I just don't understand the fear of going mil/mil. At a basic level it's all just turning numbers on a dial to what your chart or app says. I prefer mil just because its decimal and a .1 mil is a little coarser than 1/4 moa. I think mil reticles are a little less crowded and more intuitive than moa.

Another thing I think manufacturers get wrong is bragging on 4 or 5 times magnification on a ffp scope.
I think ffp is better at 3 times magnification because the reticle is easier to work with on the extremes. I really prefer to hold my windage off from the reticle. For example I think a 5-15 ffp makes more sense than a 3-15. Five power being plenty low enough.

I actually think a 5-15 would do nearly everything I'd ever do hunting. Any higher than 15 and you get heat distortion and poor low light.

If I owned a scope co I'd probably go 3-9, 4-12, 5-15 and maybe a 6-18 for dual purpose varmint rigs all ffp and mil/mil with smaller capped windage turrets. All though personally I could do it all with 3-9 and 5-15

And of course my flagship model would be a fixed 8 with a 42 or 45 mil objective, mil/mil, small capped windage, and parallax down to 10 meters or even lower so it could also run rim fire and airgun.

Bb

I don't understand people's fear of people who just don't LIKE the same things they like. Why are they so fearful. WHY do you fear people who don't want mil/mil scopes?

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Yondering

As someone who actually hunts with a mil reticle, I haven't found that to be true at all. A decent mil reticle points just as well as a duplex or #4 or whatever other older reticle you care to use, but it also has advantages at longer distance that the others don't.

I've honestly never understood the guys who claim a mil dot reticle is too busy to hunt with. If they were talking about something like a Horus reticle with lots of little lines, sure, but a simple mil dot reticle is pretty basic and never has caused me any confusion for quick shots.

I hunt with them too, and exactly what did I say that you quoted that you disagree with? You pretty much made my point.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's fear got to do with with? confused The original question imposes a judgmental bias. What's wrong with mere preference?

I've owned mil dots and non, scopes with Christmas tree hash marks, etc. and prefer a simple duplex. I've liked a red dot on my .22. My kind of shooting and hunting I don't need mil dot and like minimal sights, so will pass. If I did some shooting where a mil-dot was useful, I'd have one.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

I hunt with them too, and exactly what did I say that you quoted that you disagree with? You pretty much made my point.

Please read my post again, I said my experience is pretty much the opposite of what you stated, so I'm not sure how that "makes your point". A mil/mil scope is no more out of it's comfort zone in the woods than a duplex reticle is, in my experience.

If we're only considering FFP then your comment is valid, especially for the higher zoom factor stuff like a 3-15x, but this discussion is not about FFP it's about mil/mil scopes. I see no reason to confuse the discussion further by adding FFP vs SFP into the mix.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
FFP Mil Quad subtended like the 3-9 is pure joy.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hey JackRyan, I think I have a picture of the girl in your sig line. Couple of days later:.....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Please read my post again, I said my experience is pretty much the opposite of what you stated, so I'm not sure how that "makes your point". A mil/mil scope is no more out of it's comfort zone in the woods than a duplex reticle is, in my experience.

If we're only considering FFP then your comment is valid, especially for the higher zoom factor stuff like a 3-15x, but this discussion is not about FFP it's about mil/mil scopes. I see no reason to confuse the discussion further by adding FFP vs SFP into the mix.

My point was it is pointless to use a FFP mil/mil reticle in dense woods when you may shoot 100 yds or less, especially at running deer. Argue with that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

My point was it is pointless to use a FFP mil/mil reticle in dense woods when you may shoot 100 yds or less, especially at running deer. Argue with that.

Easy point to dispute, the rifle I hunt with is used in the scrub, on the plains and in the mountains and wears a scope that will cover all situations

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H

That’s mostly the overriding point in both these threads. In woods, set and forget, mpbr lovers, 90% of typical hunting scope use..... it doesn’t matter one whit. OTOH, translating how most use/setup/sight in for those things is in a linear measurement of (inches) vs yards. Which (although still not technically correct) has been translated from an angular unit of measure of MOA, to work great for sighting in at the range. MIL works just fine converted for that, also. When you get out to LR and dialing and using the scope mechanicals and reticle as MOVEABLE measuring/adjustment devices, then there’s just units of angular measure: MOA/MILS.....take your pic, but trying to think of either as some set of linear measured units is just making it far more complicated than it is at that point......whichever you use/like. Just use your range and your MOA/MILS and roll. JMO

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
To paraphrase a line from Quigley Down Under -
"I didn't say I am afraid of them, I just don't have any use for them"

I think that is the way the average shooter thinks of them. Speaking for myself I have never shot a game animal over 300 yards, even when shooting ground squirrels and PD's I usually shoot in the 100 - 300 yard range. For a hold-over scope I much prefer something simple such as the Leupold LRD - it's fast, simple and does not require any mental gymnastics.

If I were playing the long range game then I would have a scope with MILS/MOA or some other fancy reticle but for my shooting it is not necessary and is just more clutter in the field of view.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

744 members (16gage, 160user, 16Racing, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,210
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.