Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Several months ago, I posted about my neighbors hemp crop that was right across the fence from me. He's about ready to harvest it, and you can smell that stuff almost half a mile away. I don't know anything about it, but another neighbor who is growing some says it's testing dangerously high for the THC content. I guess that means you could get a buzz from it. These are pics of then and now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
James, how tall is that hemp ? There is a field in Cynthiana, in town and it's very short. Buddy says the hemp plant they grow now isn't that tall because they grow it for the oil and not the foliage and buds.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There are different varieties, from what I was told. This appears to be maybe 4 1/2-5 feet, while others I've seen were a little shorter.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I hear it makes good rope for hanging by the neck and dragging dopeheads behind your pickup, could probably help trans' and homeos get to the other side of relief too. smile

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Man, that stuff grows like a weed!

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack
James, how tall is that hemp ? There is a field in Cynthiana, in town and it's very short. Buddy says the hemp plant they grow now isn't that tall because they grow it for the oil and not the foliage and buds.

You ever stop in Drydens ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found a field of it where I often hunt. Old field was corn or alfalfa for cows and now it looks like he is trying something else. I thought it was Christmas trees before I got up to it. Plants are coming out of a plastic strip like in the picture as shown on post 1 and look to be around 4 to 5 feet tall and quite bushy. I will have to talk to the farmer since it is all gated off and now posted as no trespassing. I wonder if the deer eat it?

living the good life every day
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack

You ever stop in Drydens ?

No never been in there. Guys at work like it. Heard the one shop across from Walmart is pricey.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Found a field of it where I often hunt. Old field was corn or alfalfa for cows and now it looks like he is trying something else. I thought it was Christmas trees before I got up to it. Plants are coming out of a plastic strip like in the picture as shown on post 1 and look to be around 4 to 5 feet tall and quite bushy. I will have to talk to the farmer since it is all gated off and now posted as no trespassing. I wonder if the deer eat it?

Yes deer will eat it, run through it and tear it up.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have patches of hemp from WW2 days when they raised it for rope. They call it "Iowa Ditch", I'm told it is worthless as dope, but the law treats it like the real thing.
Spray kills it, but it comes back.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Must be a lot of it growing around here. The other day I could see from about a half mile away a large field of what looked like Christmas trees off from one of our interstate spurs. I mentioned to my wife that the big tree farm now would have some competition. I talked to a local in that area the other day and he said it was hemp. Must be some money in it.

living the good life every day
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I good alternative far farmers. Wheat is about worthless.....

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Anyone know about seed, and fertilizer costs for hemp?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RJY66
Man, that stuff grows like a weed!

For sure

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
There is some money in hemp, but Im afraid people are going to be disappointed this fall in the prices their crops bring. A lot of people hoping for 50k/acre are going to be very disappointed. There is A LOT more cbd hemp planted this year than last. Id guess processing might be a bottleneck this year. Even if it tests hot, chances of getting high from it are about nill. Govt set THC limits extremely low. Most good thc weed tests 20% or higher and hemp must be below .3%. I doubt anyone would want it for recreational use even if it got up to 5% thc... I know a guy that is growing 100 acres of cbd hemp this year. Will be interesting to see how he does.

Last edited by The_Big_D; 09/29/19.
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Big_D
There is some money in hemp, but Im afraid people are going to be disappointed this fall in the prices their crops bring. A lot of people hoping for 50k/acre are going to be very disappointed. There is A LOT more cbd hemp planted this year than last. Id guess processing might be a bottleneck this year. Even if it tests hot, chances of getting high from it are about nill. Govt set THC limits extremely low. Most good thc weed tests 20% or higher and hemp must be below .3%. I doubt anyone would want it for recreational use even if it got up to 5% thc... I know a guy that is growing 100 acres of cbd hemp this year. Will be interesting to see how he does.

Correct. One of my niece's husbands family has been growing it ever since it was first started here, about 10 years ago. They have had problems getting their money for what they've sold. When the buyer has the cash, they make some big bucks, and when the buyer doesn't have, they are stuck with it. But, apparently the opportunities are there, so they keep growing more and more.

There is a lot of hemp in my part of the world. I've seen one farm with 300 tillable acres planted entirely in hemp, and every Mennonite has grown at least 5 acres. I asked them about their market, and they say they are raising it 3 different ways.........one will cut and dried in barns like tobacco, one will be cut and dried in the field, then hauled off to market to be ground up and turned into oil I'm guessing, and the third way is for hemp that is to be turned into cigarettes.

I've also heard the $50,000 an acre figure being tossed out. I have been told it takes $20,000 an acre to put the crop out, and it cannot be sprayed with at least 90% or more of the most used chemicals that farmers use. It's supposed to be an organic crop for the most part, at least what is grown here is. However, I've been told that the Mennonites are going out at night and spraying some chemicals that are banned. One of them more or less admitted such to me, saying that the chemical residue would be long gone before the hemp was sold.

Also, banks will not loan farmers money to grow hemp, nor will crop insurance cover it. But, there sure are a lot of folks growing the stuff who I doubt have all the money to finance it. They got the money from somewhere.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My friend that grows it in Sumner co cannot spray it. Says he won't introduce any adulterants.

Been doing his for 3 years now.

The processing is the bottleneck
And getting the clones at the start of the season is expensive and iffy.

He hopes to get his own processing equipment with proceeds from this year's crop and then forward market it himself.

Said a finished processed liter of pure cbd oil was about $5,000

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
I hear it makes good rope for hanging by the neck and dragging dopeheads behind your pickup, could probably help trans' and homeos get to the other side of relief too. smile

Lol, The market is growing, better get in on it.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
My friend that grows it in Sumner co cannot spray it. Says he won't introduce any adulterants.

Been doing his for 3 years now.

The processing is the bottleneck
And getting the clones at the start of the season is expensive and iffy.

He hopes to get his own processing equipment with proceeds from this year's crop and then forward market it himself.

Said a finished processed liter of pure cbd oil was about $5,000

I do know that my neighbor got permission to spray his this year, because worms were eating it up. He had to use specific instructions on how to do it. He can't spray anything for the weeds, and his Mexicans and their weedeaters have spent the summer in the hemp. Kept it pretty clean to. The Mennonites go out at night, and spray the weeds when nobody can see them......lol.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Its really shaping up to be a bullshit crop.

I suppose if enough people donate their time, land and equity to these fly by night bastards, there might be some benefit.

Not this boy.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 1moredeer, 62 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.