Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Uhhhm..........not quite. The church of Rome rebelled from the original church founded by Christ and documented in The Acts. They became a politcal player in the west rather than a church

You mean they rejected Peter and his successors? News to me.

I knew I shouldn't be casting pearls here.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Are you a Calvinist? Believe some things are preordained?

Yes and I believe all things are preordained by a sovereign God.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At a low point in my life a minister told me to read Romans 8-28

When you read Romans 8:28, you need to read 8:29 with it. That will give you your answer about pre-destination.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by muffin
If Unconditional election and Irresistible Grace are true, then WHY do Calvinists evangelize?

We are commanded to sow the seed (Matthew 28:16-20). It's up to God if that seed falls on good ground or not.(Matthew 13:1:23)

Originally Posted by Gus
Calvinism is not for everyone.

That's funny, right there! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't understand any of this predestination stuff.

The Son was pre-destined to be the sacrificial lamb, Judas to betray , Peter to deny thrice.

lest you believe it was all by happenstance.

. Time is irrelevant to Him.

irrelevant to him?...God has a purpose for time and anything he has made He saw that it was good.

is God entirely beyond time, or is it that he extends beyond our limted time of existence and has time/duration perspective way beyond mans?

'from of old' refers to a particular point or period in time?

Psalm 93:2
"Your throne is established from of old you are from everlasting"

2 Peter 3:8
"But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But metaphysically since God made the universe, including time, He cannot be subject to time...

Genesis has God making a variety of things, but no mention of Him making time.

Because creation means going from non-existence to existence, then we have a before and after through a sequence of events.
...A before and after sequence requires time... Time therefore could be said to be a precondition of creating.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best way to belong to any denomination is to only read the parts of the Bible they want you to. Reading any other parts will just cause you to ask questions.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

I am much more so than when I was younger.

Nope. Calvin was a lowya and about as fuct up as a football bat. We have free-will. That is one of our unique gifts from God and our fates are determined on whether we choose wisely or not. Calvinism's pre-ordaination is heretical and runs counter to the free-will concept.

Even Judas could have been forgiven had he chosen to be and asked. He was given the opportunity.

Discussion of free will is interesting. It seems that the idea is one of free moral agency. Since men are men and God is God we are talking about a pretty high bar when it comes to free moral agency. The nice thing is that we can test our free moral agency. Christ taught that we commit adultry in our heart when we look at a woman and lust. We murder someone when we hate them. His teaching doesn’t seem to indicate an ongoing lust or hate but a single action. That’s the high bar.

To test out free moral agency we can take the two examples that Christ gave and see how far we can make it through the day before we screw up. To test out ability not to contemplate hatred toward someone we can observer ourselves in traffic, while watching the evening news or while reading the fire. To test our ability not to lust we could peruse the pages of the 223 a i thread in the miscellaneous forum. The guy that doesn’t hate and the guy that doesn’t lust is truly a free moral agent.

I’ve already failed one of those today in confirming that the 223 a i thread was the proper thread to reference.

Last edited by IZH27; 10/03/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Time is irrelevant to Him.

I would venture that Hananiah and Pelatiah would disagree with you!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

I am much more so than when I was younger.

Nope. Calvin was a lowya and about as fuct up as a football bat. We have free-will. That is one of our unique gifts from God and our fates are determined on whether we choose wisely or not. Calvinism's pre-ordaination is heretical and runs counter to the free-will concept.

Even Judas could have been forgiven had he chosen to be and asked. He was given the opportunity.

You just ripped to shreds a straw man of Calvinism very nicely; the issue is much more complicated than determinism vs free will. I as a Calvinist recognize God’s sovereignty in election and man’s free will.

Calvin would agree with your last line completely.

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by IZH27

Discussion of free will is interesting. It seems that the idea is one of free moral agency. Since men are men and God is God we are talking about a pretty high bar when it comes to free moral agency. The nice thing is that we can test our free moral agency. Christ taught that we commit adultry in our heart when we look at a woman and lust. We murder someone when we hate them. His teaching doesn’t seem to indicate an ongoing lust or hate but a single action. That’s the high bar.

To test out free moral agency we can take the two examples that Christ gave and see how far we can make it through the day before we screw up. To test out ability not to contemplate hatred toward someone we can observer ourselves in traffic, while watching the evening news or while reading the fire. To test our ability not to lust we could peruse the pages of the 223 a i thread in the miscellaneous forum. The guy that doesn’t hate and the guy that doesn’t lust is truly a free moral agent.

I’ve already failed one of those today in confirming that the 223 a i thread was the proper thread to reference.

Very well said sir; you make the point beautifully.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I am not a five point Calvinist but believe most of his theology. I didn't come to this believe through study, but through my own experience and experiences I've witnessed. Take the Campfire for example. You will not change the minds of one person in this thread. It won't happen, ever. You're wasting your time. Obviously they have "free will" to change their mind, but it won't happen. There is only one way a person's mind gets changed. Those who he foreknew he also predestined to be confirmed to the image of his Son in order that he might be the first born among many brothers. Those whom he predestined he also called, those whom he call called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Luther and Calvin rely on Paul and disregard Jesus whom Paul contradicts. Jesus in Revelations commended the church at Ephesus in Asia for giving Paul the boot. Paul verified his situation in Asia in 2nd Timothy. Jesus' brother James wrote his contribution to the bible in opposition to Paul. While I believe salvation is gained by the grace of a merciful creator I'm going to accept Jesus and John the Baptist who preached salvation through repentance. And John told some outwardly religious leaders who came to him "bear fruits that befit repentance". Those fruits are works and deeds, not just professed faith.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lust test?
Where can I find this, again? smile

Good stuff. People try and make this God thing really hard.
It's not.
You will probably receive a pm from a concerned member though....
if you haven't already.
It's kinda fun, though.

Good day, fellers.

Have Dog

Will Travel

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I feel blessed that I dont have a clue what is being argued here.

Truly blessed.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
This has been interesting to say the least. I commend all for staying on the high road as we should.
I am a simple man. and some of the discussion is over my head, but that's good, how else can a person learn.

Not to claim to be any kind of authority on the topic, I'll just put out the notion that being predestined, and still a free agent can coexist. Perhaps it is a matter of passing a test of sorts? Test may not be quite right, maybe trial is better?

Thanks good folks.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I am not a five point Calvinist but believe most of his theology. I didn't come to this believe through study, but through my own experience and experiences I've witnessed. Take the Campfire for example. You will not change the minds of one person in this thread. It won't happen, ever. You're wasting your time. Obviously they have "free will" to change their mind, but it won't happen. There is only one way a person's mind gets changed. Those who he foreknew he also predestined to be confirmed to the image of his Son in order that he might be the first born among many brothers. Those whom he predestined he also called, those whom he call called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Well done Clint. God isn't going to force anyone to love, accept, or follow Him.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I disagree, but that's ok.

Originally Posted by efw
**Where exactly does the Bible say anything about a man speaking infallibly?

The short answer is Matthew 16:19

I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

That is for every person who believes, but certainly does not speak to infallibility. There is only One infallible, and His name is Jesus.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Check out the 5 Calvinistic points, TULIP, on line.

I don't think many Presbyterians or Calvinists are full bore 5 point TULIP advocates. To me some of that theology is a cop out. Just because the Lord may know our ultimate decision, it doesn't take away from the fact we had the freedom and option to decide. It's hard to wrap ones head around infinity and omnipotence.

Arminianism is the antithesis of Calvinism. Check that one out, too.

The P in TULIP is preservation of the saints, or once saved, always saved, a popular Baptist position. The Arminian position is one can be saved and fall from grace, Methodists, etc.

DF

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by slumlord
I have read a few sermons out this book. One of my keepers.

If youre going to read something, read something good.

Hell with that john greasham old man soap opera BS.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Some might argue that both are fiction.

mike r

Some do. And they will spend eternity vehemently regretting it.

Last edited by RickyD; 10/03/19.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 309coug, 17CalFan, 16penny, 34 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,872
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.