Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
This will get you started on how to clean you rifle.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Everything is irrelevant if you don't have a reliable scope mounted properly. Good luck.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Damb thanks a whole lot dude, thank you for taking your time and explaining that.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Hey, I will let you guys know when I get the scope. There is a guy here Tzone, told me to get a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 x 36mm any better suggestions at a better price ?

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Remington Corelok is plenty good for deer hunting. I’ve used both the 80 & 100 grain here at the Ranch for both deer and hogs, but prefer the 100 grain.
Pretty accurate for Factory ammo too.
The 80 grain works well on coyotes.

This right here.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Elliot
Hey, I will let you guys know when I get the scope. There is a guy here Tzone, told me to get a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 x 36mm any better suggestions at a better price ?

Scopes are a matter of personal preference, and what you plan on doing with the rifle. Leupold's are good, but so are other least expensive options. I like the Burris Fullfield line of scopes, and they have a lifetime warranty, plus you can get one for about half the cost of a Leupold. I have them in 3X9X40 and 4.5X14X42, both with the BDC reticle, and have found that they work for either hunting or shooting paper.

I also have several Nikon scopes, the Prostaff 5 and Monarch 3's, and I like them.

If you got the Remington 700 ADL rifle and scope package, the rifle should have come with Weaver bases, and you'll need to take them off, clean the holes and screws with a good solvent, put some Loctite on the screws and put them back on. I'd buy another set of scope rings, as I don't like the rings that come with that setup, but in a punch they will work.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Thats a pretty good suggestion. For a guy with one rifle and one scope I think I would suggest a Vx3 or Vx3i 3.5-10x40. Your going to get a zillion opinions on scopes , rings and bases on here as one guy will swear his life on one brand and another will tell you he had 6 of them and they where all junk. If your really price sensitive on optics a good resource might Doug from Cameraland he is a sponsor here. If you post your looking for a scope on the optics forum here he will probably find you. I have never personally purchased anything from him but he has a great reputation on several forums. I have got a good deal on VX3 scopes here on the Fire classified.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I bought my lad a .243 Ruger when he turned 12. 37 years later, he is still killing hogs, coyotes and deer with it. I believe the Remington CoreLokt 100 grain is all he has ever used in it.

Sam......

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
For a scope, for your situation, Leupold VX3, either 2.5x8x36 or 3.5x10x40 should cover 99% of what you will want to do... My primary deer rifle wears a Leupold 2.5x8x36...

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

It depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If it is for strictly hunting then the 2.5x8 would be perfect. If you want to shoot it at longer ranges then a 3.5x10 or a 4x12 would be better.

Please let us know what your plans are for the rifle.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/07/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Jamesjr

As you can figure out, I dont know much of anything when it comes to fire arms, can I ask you, why we need to change the rings? The only thing that can think of is that the scope moves ? Not a good grip? Thanks

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Typically you want to use the lowest rings possible that will keep the objective bell of your scope from hitting the rifle barrel. Some rings are simply better made and the holes will more likely be properly aligned and not require lapping.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Elliot, Again I’m making assumptions, so here goes. I’m a Leupold fan, though there are numerous good scopes available for a little less money. That said, with the hunting conditions I hunted in when living in Louisiana ( likely very similar to Florida), I’d go with the Leupold 2.5-8 over the 3.5-10. Both would be a great choice, but the lower power (2.5-8) gives you a slightly larger field of view on very close, potentially fast shots offered in the dense woodlands of the southeast! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Where the hell is Trystan in all this. He always has good advice in situations like this.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Where the hell is Trystan in all this. He always has good advice in situations like this.

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hoth
Typically you want to use the lowest rings possible that will keep the objective bell of your scope from hitting the rifle barrel. Some rings are simply better made and the holes will more likely be properly aligned and not require lapping.

Which rims are more likely to be properly aligned in your opinion?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I don't "break in" any barrel,AFAIC it's a waste of time and ammo.

Never heard of "Oil up the rifle as soon as I get it" I think someone is pulling your leg.

^^^^€^^^^ correct.
I NEVER have done a Barrell “break in” & ain’t gonna start. Some guys are serious about it
but AFAIC break in only adds to barrell WEAR. Save it for practice & hunting.

WELCOME to the fire and good luck.

BTW, one of the MOST accurate rifles I’ve owned was an ADL 06.
I hope yours is also.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Hoth

Which rims are more likely to be properly aligned in your opinion?

You seem to be having a difficult time keeping up!!! The OP wasn't asking about car tires and Hoth was referring to an item that is used to attach an aiming device to a rifle

Last edited by Trystan; 10/08/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,595
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.