Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
Originally Posted by Tom264
Another one of those stories of the type that make me think archery equipment should be reserved for bow fishing instead of big game wounding.

What a stupid comment.

Maybe a stupid comment to you, but I just spent the night in the woods with a very good tracking dog, trying to find another one of those ' I made a perfect shot' stick stuck deer. Shot right at dark, ran into one of the worst cut-overs on earth. Put the dog on the one drop of blood that I found about 40 yards from where I was told the deer was standing, and spent the next 6 hours crawling thru that crap with the dog. Finally found the deer about a 3/4 of a mile from where the shot was made, 80 pound doe, "perfect" shot thru the back of the liver. Seventh one this year so far that I've been called in to help find. I figure that's about 10 percent of the deer hit that the "hunter" actually made an effort to recover. I've seen bow kills that were DRT, some 20 to 50 yard death runs, etc., but seems that those are the exception, rather than the rule.
Yes, deer are lost by rifle hunters, too. Mainly, in this area,anyway, by the "magnum hunters", the guys that think because they're shooting a magnum, (or a crudmoor) of some sort, that just hitting the deer anywhere should knock it off its feet. But the vast majority, probably 10 to 1, of the "I made a damn good shot, tracked that sucker for 2 miles, but never found the deer" stories are from bow hunters.
So yeah, I'm sticking to my 'stupid' comment.

So you are just like the anti gun crowd? Blame the weapon instead of the person doing stupid chit. Makes a lot of sense! I can fix a lot of things, stupid I can not!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yup.
Blame the weapon not the person..........
Sounds like a liberal to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope, not blaming the weapon at all. SOLE RESPONSIBILITY LIES ON THE PERSON TAKING THE SHOT, BOTTOM LINE. The problem is the mindset that's propagated by all the hype around bow hunting, and the same thing involving so called long range rifle hunting. Seems like everybody thinks all they have to do is buy the latest high tech gear, either archery or gun, and go shoot deer, elk, whatever, and it'll be dead right there because they saw it happen on some YouTube video or TV .
Know your limits, don't take high risk shots, be respectful to the game animals. Wounding big game animals and then 'bragging' about it in public does nothing but ad fuel to anti-hunters fire.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Neither does saying that bow hunting should be limited to bow fishing.......

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Tom264
Another one of those stories of the type that make me think archery equipment should be reserved for bow fishing instead of big game wounding.

What a stupid comment.

I was going to use another description, but stupid works.

NRA Patron
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.